“Glorified hostel ... not even a 2 star in U.S.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Adventure Inn

Save Saved
You added Adventure Inn to your Saves list
Adventure Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ciudad Cariari, Autopista General Canas | Between San Jose and SJO Airport, San Antonio De Belen, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Phoenix, AZ
“Glorified hostel ... not even a 2 star in U.S.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

Sorry everyone, but I have a huge problem agreeing with the ratings and reviews people have given this hotel. Let us be honest with each other, no one in their right mind would pay to stay in this hotel if it was in the US. Especially not even the relatively small amount they asked for compared to other hotels around the airport.

I'll be as nice and impartial as I can be, so I will start out with the good. It is very close to the airport, so has potential for first and last day stay of your trip. The staff is very friendly, and if you arrive late at night you get a crew that is not as good with the English as the day crew is, so be prepared. They do have guards/bellman and cameras watching the place, makes you wonder why they need it though since no other hotel we stayed at had that to offer. They even made us a breakfast to go since we had to get up and go to the airport well before the daily breakfast started in the restaurant. We got a discount for paying with cash. And they do offer to pay for your cab to the airport, which we didnt need since we had rented a car. There is a mall across the highway, long walk, short drive.

Now, let's get back to reality. I've never payed so much to get so little anywhere i've ever stayed in the US (and yes i realize i was in a 3rd world country not in the US). I get 4 star hotels in the US very often online for less then a hundred so first off having to pay what I did for this place, a glorified hostile, is just preposterous.

The design of the hotel was crazy, we were in the back and went around several corners, past the "pool" which was indoors in the hallway. There were dead bugs all over the place, which in other reviews they say are seasonal and just an annoyance, you decide.

The rooms were very tiny. The air-conditioner was like a jet taking off constantly, and never got the room cold. There is a safe which you have to pay to use, go figure. The beds were top 10 worst i've ever slept in. The decor was early 90's central america chic, which is to say, it made me laugh.

Sorry everyone, I am being generous with a two star rating. This is no paradise, its a stop over. Its not a luxury hotel, its an expensive hostel. You don't always get what you pay for, especially in what is not unreasonably expensive CR. I just do not understand why anyone would give this a four or five star review, those should be saved for special places that truely impress. If it was not late at night when we arrived we would have run to either of the other two places that we stayed at near the airport. Do not stay here, its not worth the price ...sorry to the nice Ticos.

I would encourage anyone with questions to contact me so I can save you ...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
AdventureInn, Manager at Adventure Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2010
This person arrived late at night and left before the 6 am breakfast and really didn't have an opportunity to experience what Adventure Inn has to offer, the new pool complex, the gym, the computer station, the restaurant and bar, tours we offer, the local area, and the happy, friendly personality of the staff. I am not sure what this person was even complaining about, having to go around a couple of corners to get to his room??? He didn't get a good night's sleep, no wonder, he arrived late and left at 4:30 am, I don't think it was his comfortable orthopedic bed. We apologize if our night front desk receptionist's English wasn't up to par with our day receptionist's English, though it didn't seem to prevent him from checking in and requesting a complimentary take-out breakfast that we volunteered to make late at night to accommodate his early morning check out. The Mayan art, paintings and statues made him laugh, perhaps he was unaware of the indigenous culture here...I could then understand their art may appear a little comical, but it isn't for the Mayan people, they take it quite seriously. He never saw our new pool complex and confused the Mayan waterfall in the solarium with a pool. He never experienced our full American / Tico breakfast. He made his reservation at the last minute when we were only able to offer him one of our smallest rooms. He travels all over the US and stays at four star hotels for under $100, maybe but our single occupancy rate is $65 plus tax less 10% for cash, what is his complaint? He even complained that we HAVE a bellman/guards and security cameras and other hotels that he stayed at don't ??? Yes, we still are at the end of the June bug season, though they are few and far between. The A/C was like a jet taking off and did nothing, sorry, it isn't central air, they are individual wall units, but I don't buy this exaggeration, nor does it appear this whole review was written with honesty, integrity or knowledge of the property.

1,587 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

We stayed at the Adventure Inn on our last night in Costa Rica. There were dozens of great reviews here on Trip Advisor, so I figured it was worth a short. Immediately upon entering the hotel, the three friends I travelled with complimented me on my choice of hotels-they definitely approved. We were about an hour or so early for check-in so our rooms were not yet ready, but the front desk staff arranged for us to have different rooms so we wouldn't have to wait. This was great-they were rooms 1 & 2, the first ones you see, yet they were not noisy at all and we were just steps from the restaurant and pool (which is great-it's clean and new).

Everyone at the front desk was very friendly, helpful, and spoke just about perfect English which helped us since our Spanish is poor :) As for the rooms- they are very roomy and clean. Our friends in the room next-door complained that there was very weak water pressure and the water was ice-cold in the shower, but honestly, I didn't notice it enough for it to bother me (then again maybe I just used all the hot water first !).

On top of that, I felt very safe in the hotel. The location was nice- we could drive to the mall or food in just minutes, and we felt comfortable enough to walk to the neraby casinos at night (which we didn't feel safe enough to do in certain other parts of Costa).

They did indeed pay for our taxi to the airport and he was there early (I think he may be one of their own sort of designated drivers because other guests had mentioned how great he was while driving them around all week from the hotel).

I guess there is only one minor issue I had, although it wouldn't prevent me from staying again, and that is the restaurant. Let me start by saying the staff at the restaurant was great, they were attentive, friendly, and all things good! However, the food is...eh. My boyfriend's sandwich bun had a chunk of mold on the bottom about the size of a quarter. I know it's a humid climate and that stuff can grow really fast, but it's just not appetizing! The server immediately apologized and replaced it so it was fine. I ordered a turkey croissant sandwich- it came without any of the sauce it was supposed to and simply consisted of a croissant and two tiny square pieces of turkey that either come from a can or Oscar Mayer. It was our last night so we did order some drinks that were supposed to be with "double shots" because they were such a great price, but it was clearly a ripoff because there was barely any alcohol in them.

None of the food tasted bad, it was just overpriced for something I could have grabbed from the am/pm nearby...

Don't get me wrong, I know this isn't supposed to be some fancy hotel, or even the Best Western or Hampton which is why I think the few people who have given it poor reviews have done so- they are high-maintenance travellers who expect everything to be in their US or European comfort zones. But, this is Costa Rica, and it's an Inn! I have stayed at other B&Bs and inns throughout Costa and this is still the best one yet. Though there were a few things that weren't "perfect", that's to be expected!

I would definitely stay here again- my main priorities when travelling are a place that it 1)safe 2) clean. The Adventure Inn is both of those and much more ( I must say the friendly staff is probably what will draw me back here most).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Perez Zeledon, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

A great place to stay! Very good value and has character. The rooms are spacious, have wireless internet and the rates include a great breakfast with fruit, juice, either a Costa Rican breakfast with eggs and pinto or an American type with eggs, toast, pancakes and fried potatoes. We stay at the Adventure Inn frequently when we travel to San Jose. It is close to the airport, but not too close, in a quiet neighbourhood, Los Arcos...nice place to take a walk. They have a nice restaurant and bar area that now opens up to a new pool, which is very pretty. The food is reasonably priced and good. The staff are great. They have a tour desk there to arrange day tours from the hotel. Definitely a good deal.

Vancouver, BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

This hotel was a disappointment and we also had bugs in our room which we did not have in any other hotel in Costa Rica during our 3 week stay. The pool is new and very nice and the hot tub is great. The restaurant was not too good. The air conditioning did not do anything but make a lot of noise. They have a place on the second floor with computers where the internet works but it did not work in our room on the ground floor.
A taxi ride to the airport is included and that was welcome.

AdventureInn, Manager at Adventure Inn, responded to this review, May 11, 2010
Once again some guests are confusing a seasonal swarm of June bugs in the Central Valley with an unclean hotel. They should be called May bugs since they appear only in the first couple of weeks in May. In Spanish they are called Abejones, and they only come out at night at the end of the dry season to fly, procreate and land all over the Central Valley where Adventure Inn is located. Much of Adventure Inn is open-air and they are attracted by our lights. They are not present down on the beaches, which is why other hotels that these guests stayed at didn't seem to have them. Abejones are harmless, they do not bite or sting and are no more unsanitary than any other flying rainforest insect. They are not cockroaches. During the day they find a cool place in the soil and you will hardly find a single one, but at night, for the last week or so, they have been out in force, and this year seems to be a particularly peak year for them. Our guards have been walking around with brooms and dust pans to remove the little critters from the hotel. The bugs will be gone in a few days. Relax people, you need to expect the unexpected when you travel, and in all fairness, please investigate what you are talking about before you post an unkind review on the internet.
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

I’ve just recently returned from Costa Rica, which was a once in a lifetime experience. This was my first time staying at the Adventure Inn, and the second time for my friends who I travelled with. My friends arrived a day earlier, and were there for four nights, while I was only there for three nights, but I can definitely say I will be staying there for future trips.

The hotel was very peaceful and clean. The grounds were absolutely beautiful and well maintained. There were no critters or cockroaches; the only thing I noticed was Geckos, which are harmless and all over Costa Rica. The landscaping was unlike no other and more renovations are underway, so it can only get better than it already is. If you plan on staying in the hotel during the day, the pool is closed until five pm because of the renovations, but I didn’t find this to be a problem considering we didn’t get back each day until the late evening.

The location is great if you would like to be close to the airport, but is about two hours away from the beaches. Depending on your interests, not much is nearby. There is a mall which is about a ten min walk away and a great souvenir gift shop that has a variety of items and very great prices! The hotel will provide transportation to and from the airport by reimbursing you for the taxi cab ride and they even have several taxis waiting onsite for your convenience. But don’t let the location persuade you from staying here because the front desk has several tours that will pick up and drop off right from the front door. If you choose to rent a car, they also provide free onsite parking.

The rooms were very beautiful, clean and comfortable. It was the best sleep I’ve had in a long time. Each room is equipped with AC, however, not once did we even need to turn it on. Just open a window and let the breeze at night come in. Housekeeping also comes in daily and does a spectacular job. If needed, they will provide laundry service. Just place your items in the bag and it will be ready, clean and pressed by the time you get back. There are in room safes for one dollar a day if you choose. I personally didn’t feel I needed to lock anything up. I felt safe leaving my valuable belongings in the room while gone. If you’re a coffee drinker, they provide Brit dark roast coffee in the rooms, with cream and sugar and will restock as needed. Unlike hotels in the US where they only provide you with a filter or two, they actually give you a jar of the grounds, which is amazing considering it’s the best coffee I’ve ever had!!

The restaurant downstairs has excellent prices, specials and great food. I recommend the chicken teriyaki sandwich or chicken quesadillas. They were my favorite. It’s an indoor/outdoor so at night when the temperatures drop, make sure you bring a lightweight sweater if you’re prone to get cold because of the slight breeze. The staff is wonderful and very friendly. Keep in mind that you’re not in the US though and they aren’t accustomed to faced paced service. I found this to be very nice as they aren’t trying to rush you out of the place. The continental breakfast in the morning was delicious. They offered more than you would get at any hotel in the US. I had the American option, which consisted of two pancakes, a slice or two of ham, and eggs. There are also fruit platters out, bread, brownies, cookies and coffee. It was a great start to each day!

Also in the hotel are four computers available with internet. If you have a lap top, free wireless is available as well. A fitness center and book exchange located in the computer area upstairs!

The best part of all was the price per night. You can’t beat it anywhere else! If you’re looking to be on the water and need to be waited on hand and foot though, this is not the place for you. However, if you want a quiet and peaceful hotel with great rates, this will truly be your home away from home.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Front Royal, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

The staff at this hotel, with no exceptions, was the friendliest group of people we met the entire time we were in Costa Rica. The rooms were spotless, the a/c was strong, it was quiet, close to the airport, and I would recommend it as the perfect hopping off point for anyone. I have absolutely no complaints and only positive feelings about it. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2010
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

We enjoyed our stays at Adventure Inn. It was recommended to us by our daughter who joined us with her family, on the way to southern C.R. My wife and I stayed again on our return trip.
The quiet friendly Inn was a welcome surprise compared to our previous stays at the airport hotels.At the Inn we felt more at home and less "processed" than at the chain hotels. And the location is not far from the airport at all.
The owners are obviously pouring money back into their premises-as- they- can, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere with various balconies , infinity pool , hot tubs and wading pools spread out in different locations and surrounded by local decor , both authentic and inspired-by.
I easily forgot the highway a short distance away and the fact that we were somehow nestled next to a suburb. It was a world apart as I ventured through interesting hallways of Aztec styled sculptures and discovered a couple having a coffee on a quiet balcony. They were soaking up the last morning in C.R. before their flight back to reality .
The service was extremely efficient. Every detail that I was concerned about turned out to have been taken care of before I asked. Even the free shuttle was waiting for me and not the other way round.
The free breakfast was good and our dinner was tasty and surprisingly well priced.
So I'm glad I stayed. Everyone has their own tastes , but I don't think you'd go wrong by giving it a try.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Adventure Inn? Share your experiences!