“the people give the place a five star quality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Adventure Inn

You added Adventure Inn to your Saves list
Adventure Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ciudad Cariari, Autopista General Canas | Between San Jose and SJO Airport, San Antonio De Belen, Costa Rica   |
gulf of mexico
“the people give the place a five star quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

We stayed here for seven nights and used this as our base. . The front desk was helpful and always took as long as was needed to explain the customs and gave good advice. The attendant at the front door carried our luggage up the stairs and showed us to the room. We had a clean room and sparkling clean jacuzzi. The cleaning lady did an excellent job. Remember- a small tip for good service goes a long way here. Tip everyone if you like the service and it just gets better and better. This inn is completely secure and safe. The final price of our stay was less than what was quoted because we got a discount for paying with cash. the manager of the restaurant took the time to explain the area and i saw him take time from his busy schedule to communicate with several other guests whenever they needed assistance. James and Laetitia are definite assets.The restaurant was fantastic. I look forward to staying here again.

• Liked — It was quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Memphis, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

A great way station for those who are truly traveling in Costa Rica as one should. However, I should explain that this fine hotel is ran by some of the best people who now call Costa Rica home. Who have been extremely helpful to their friends who have made the Adventure Inn their home in Costa Rica.

Great service, friendly atmosphere, a must for those who truly are looking for a "base of operations" for the exploration of the cultural and natural beauty of Costa Rica. Through intimate knowledge of the sites and special locations to helping you plan your own personal adventures. The folks at the Adventure Inn deliver on all counts.

If you are looking for a reasonable stay in a great location, then this one is for you. If come to Costa Rica you will fall in love. If you stay at the Adventure Inn, you will meet great people who will just give you a good excuse to continue that love affair with this great country that is Costa Rica.

Keep us a room ready, Eric. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2007

As a former manager for the Hyatt Regency Hotel, I have stayed in several hotels in my life time big and small.

I recently stay at the Adenture Inn hotel San Jose Costa Rica and it was an excellent experience for my wife and I.

Not able to speak spanish was not a problem for me all the staff I came across was friendly, knowledgable and spoke english.

The entire staff I came across which was front desk, security,restaurant and housekeeping was outstanding, for example the house keeper would make sure our room was clean, tidy and all our beverages was always fully iced down when we return to our room, my wife and I thought that service was exceptional.

My stay was excellent and would definately stay at the adventure again. I am from the UK and when I visit Costa Rica The Adventure Inn will be my home.

• Liked — service/location
  • Disliked — no complaint
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2007

I just came back from a 9 day vacation in Costa Rica. The day after I stayed at Adventure Inn, I developed a rash, that eventually became these itchy, hard, and sore bumps almost all over my body. It basically ruined my vacation after that, so I came back to the US and saw a doctor and dermatologist, and he asked me if I had been in a hot tub before the rash, and I did! He said that if a hot tub is not properly disinfected, bacteria lives in the water and can get into your skin. So, DON'T GO INTO THE HOT TUB!

The rooms were ok, but in two nights, in different rooms, there were tons of little ants in the bathroom near the sinks on both nights. Pretty gross if you ask me.

Stayed December 2007
AdventureInn, Owner at Adventure Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2007
Please be certain we are taking this situation very seriously. We have already had an emergency meeting with our maintenance staff.

It surprises us to even receive a comment like this as we are constantly reminded by guests how modern and clean our hotel is. In the three years we have had the Jacuzzi Spa, this is the first skin rash or any other problem ever brought to our attention, and we have had guests use it basically every day. Though we are not trying to dodge responsibility, we are still not 100% convinced that it was caused by our Jacuzzi, or any other Jacuzzi since there are several other sources of this bacteria.

We thought we had been doing everything we possibly could in order to prevent this kind of thing from happening. Our maintenance staff were always instructed to test the chlorine and pH levels twice a day with our standardized testing kit, and I know the water is changed twice a week, and even more often when there has been a lot of use or if it is no longer crystal clear. But generally our Jacuzzi Spa gets little use and is more of a centerpiece to the Mayan artwork everywhere. It is the size of a small pool, and we keep the temperature down to comfortable levels, which also prevents bacteria from entering your pores, plus it has a filtration system that filters dead skin cells. Perhaps this has something to do with the new Jacuzzi cover we just bought, who knows? We looked up Hot Tub Folliculitis on the internet and it said it generally comes from new wooden hot tubs, ours is three years old and made of concrete and ceramic tile. It said this type of skin rash can appear up to three days after exposure, and the bacteria causing it is very common in the natural environment (water and soil). It is also commonly contracted in pools, water slides, or even from sponges. This is not to say the rash did not come from our Jacuzzi, but if it did, rest assured, it will not happen again. The maintenance staff will start keeping a log with date and times of their test kit results and everything they do to the Jacuzzi. I will personally check the log often so everyone can be guaranteed proceedures are being followed correctly and on a regular basis.
Perez Zeledon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2007

I´ve stayed at the Adventure Inn at least twenty times, so that says a lot right there! The only times that I went with another hotel was when the Adventure Inn was booked up. The people that work there have always been very friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean and nicely appointed. I love how each bed has FOUR plump pillows---no scrimping here! There is also a coffee maker and coffee in each room. There are a couple of other things, tho, that impress me even more than what the rooms have to offer. One is the breakfast that´s included in the price of the room. I´ve never seen such a COMPLETE (and delicious) breakfast. They have an abundance of fresh fruit, coffee, juice, and pinto (rice and beans) that you can serve yourself from. and then a menu that you can pick several different full breakfasts from. O.K., on to the next impressive thing, and the most important to me--concern for the environment. They have a bin in each room to put your recyclables in. They also have a sign up in each room explaining how they use biodigradable shampoo, etc. It´s a prettty long list of ways we can each show concern for the environment while at the hotel and also shows concern for the poorly paid workers in C.R. I´d stay at the Adventure Inn even if they didn´t show such concern, but in MY book, this clearly puts them over the top! I read a negative review about the Adventure Inn and I have to wonder if it was written out of spite or something, or just a fluke that something went wrong. I´ve heard of people who try to bend the rules and then when they don´t get away with it they try to get revenge. Who knows? Anyway, I usually don´t even take the time to write reviews, but in this case I really wanted to.

• Liked — Their concern for the environment and comfort of rooms
  • Disliked — That there isn´t one in every town!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
butofcoursemaybe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

After browsing reviews I decided to book 5 nights at the Adventure Inn. However after arriving we decided that we would start looking for different accommodations. While we did not expect any frills (comfortable bed and hot shower) the main problem was that we were promised queen size beds but they were not quite queen size. We are average height people (5'7'' and 6'2") and our legs were hanging off the bed and two of us did not comfortably fit on it. The shower water was warm only in spurts of 5 second increments and too cold to take a comfortable shower. There was a water temperature booster but only under the sink. Toilet paper holder was placed too low and could hardly get the paper out (I know it sounds petty but it did get annoying after a while). Breakfast was very basic and average at best and we made a mistake of trying to have breakfast in an enclosed courtyard. All the guestroom's bathroom windows were facing the tables and you can clearly hear all the bodily functions projected.
To their credit, the staff was nice and the internet connection was great. Also there is not much around after 9.30 p.m. when we arrived hungry from a long flight and the hotel had nothing to offer in terms of snacks to hold us over until morning so, we went to bed hungry.

• Liked — internet connection
  • Disliked — beds, not hot water, location
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2007

Stayed in a deluxe room 2 nights in Nov 2007 due to positive reviews on Trip Advisor. Bathroom was nice with tiled walls and floor, balance of room average. About 5 miles from downtown San Jose, but took 55 minutes by taxi ($14 US) on a Friday night due to traffic. Walls very thin and a neighbor watched TV all night and was fully audible through walls. Rooms near Jacuzzi noisy till 11pm. Directly below airline flight path and jets start flying at 4:15 am.Had burger, turkey club and teryiaki chicken at hotel restaurant and all were marginal in quality and taste

Major concern is that Adventure Inn wouldn't honor internet booking price. Had copies of hotels.com booking and a separate email confirmation but they insisted it was the wrong rate and added $25 per night to the rate.

• Liked — internet access
  • Disliked — Hotel management
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
AdventureInn, Owner at Adventure Inn, responded to this review, November 29, 2007
We normally don't respond to guest reviews but this last review is intensionally misleading. Regarding the accusation that we do not honor the internet booking price, the truth of the matter is that this person intended to deceive us and got caught, and appears to now be trying to get back at us with his negative review.

He made his reservation over the internet for two people for two nights. They checked in with four persons, but when paying later with a different receptionist, they said they were only two persons and presented their confirmation letter with the double occupancy rate while the other two people laid low in their room. When the chambermaid and other staff confirmed it was a party of four persons and not two, they became upset when we charged their credit card additional $20.25 plus tax per night. Our low rates also include a full American breakfast, use of guest computers, the gym, the Jacuzzi, etc. so this additional rate was more than fair.

Adventure Inn walls are of cement construction and sound does not easily travel through them, so their neighbour must have really had his TV blasting "all night".

We are an eight or ten minute drive from the airport to our west and not at the end of a runway as the reviewer tries to make it seem. Planes can sometimes be seen (but seldom heard) from Adventure Inn a mile or two high above Costa Rica's central valley.

Similarly, we are about eight or ten minutes drive from central San Jose to our east, however an accident, especially during Friday rush hour can jam up the highway for miles. Running a taxi meter for 55 minutes for only $14 isn't really worth complaining about, especially when you divide it by four persons. We are also seventy cents by convenient bus to or from San Jose and we reimburse you for your airport taxi.

Regarding our meals, our full restaurant menu and prices is available on our website. It is hard to please everyone, but most guests rave about the "quality and taste" as you can see on other TripAdvisor reviews.

All of our modern guest rooms are very large averaging over 30 sq.meters in cool ceramic tile, fully furnished, two double beds, night tables, a writing desk, ample closet space, a large dresser, a large TV on cable, telephone, A/C, in-room safe, a clean, spacious bathroom, Wi-Fi, coffee maker, hair dryer and an amenity package. Plus our suites have fridges, microwaves and Jacuzzis. I guess some people would consider this 'meager', but most don't, which is part of the reason why we rate so high on TripAdvisor.

Been to Adventure Inn? Share your experiences!