“Pleasantly surprised!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose

You added Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose to your Saves list
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 mts West from Bridgestone/Firestone, San Antonio De Belen 502-4005, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
San Diego, California
“Pleasantly surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel is the best Marriott I've stayed at.
Instead of that generic feel that exemplifies this brand, the Marriott San Jose was charming on many different levels...from the classic architecture, to the complimentary aperitifs served in the Peruvian Restaurant and the toucan carvings perched on the luggage cart. We were fortunate to have a wonderful view of the pools and twinkling night lights. Perhaps it was the holiday decorations that won me over and the background music. Coming from a stay at Nayara Arenal, a top-rated boutique hotel, I was prepared to be let down. Instead, I found this property to be a jewel in the middle of a chaotic noisy metropolis. The proximity to the airport is another plus.

Room Tip: Room 608 is a great corner room, with high ceilings and two mini balconies.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This Marriott is unlike any other I've seen. It's a much nicer property with a lot more character than others. It's styled after traditional hacienda buildings, with a beautiful central courtyard and a Hacienda-type theme throughout the public spaces. The outdoor spaces are lovely and there are three dining options. We chose to eat dinner at the Peruvian restaurant, which has a beautiful room, attentive service, and very good food. We really enjoyed our brief stay and will absolutely return.

Room Tip: Pool access rooms have small patios with seating and make it easy to enjoy the beautiful garden, but...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Parkland, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is convenient to the San Jose Airport (15 minutes), and about 1 1/2 hour drive to the cruise port in Caldera.
Large hacienda style rooms, great restaurant. There were 3 weddings going on the weekend we were there, and it was a beautiful setting. The open courtyard is beautiful, and the view "facing out" from our room onto the landscaping was gorgeous.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Typical Marriott, over-delivering. From the moment you turn into the resort access you know you've found elegance, with a historic feel. The hacienda motif is picturesque and authentic, all the way down to the trim in the elevator. The landscaping, pools and pathways are impeccable. But really confirmed my desire to return again on my next business trip is the service. I had lost some sleep the first night with some late-night revelers in the next room. They weren't breaking any rules, they were just loud and uncaring. In any case just a casual response from me when asked at breakfast by the management how my evening went, I had responded fine, except for that. They went out of their way to give me options and even double checked with me later. It was sincere and they clearly cared. That says it all. Many of the staff at the property, especially Alejandra, went well out of their way for me, to make sure I knew all my options for getting into town, and where to go. The only downside to this resort is the distance to town and nightlife. The restaurants all very good, and the tilapia is worth a repeat.The gym and spa are noteworthy also. I will be back.

Room Tip: high and away may not be best. Early morning winds rattled the sliding balcony doors on the high fl...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at the Costa Rica Marriott a day before embarking on a cruise out of Caldera. This property served as the convenience hotel for the cruise line, and my second stay was as positive and pleasant as my first back in 2007. Only three miles from the airport (SJO), the hotel is easily accessible and I arrived in less than fifteen minutes by private transfer.

The lobby is right off the entrance and is warm and inviting but somewhat small and can easily get crowded when receiving many guests. Otherwise, the staff made me feel welcomed and made sure they understood my every need during my stay. Service can be slow but is very personable and attentive.

I had a standard room located on the second floor and requires going down one floor. While it was quiet, getting to it took a little effort as it seemed most rooms are located a fair distance from the lobby. Once inside, you will see the room is well arranged and perfectly sized with two large and comfortable beds. The bathroom is clean and very well kept and has a shower and tub combination. There are plenty of towels and toiletries are of high quality.

The next morning, I had breakfast at Antigua and the service and staff were terrific. Their breakfast buffet is definitely recommended and is a great value. If possible, request a table on the terrace overlooking the golf course.

At check out, as explained before, the lobby became overrun with arriving guests that morning so I opted for the express checkout since I had not incurred any incidentals other than breakfast. This worked out very well and the correct charges were applied to my credit card.

Overall, the property offers plenty of amenities and the surrounding natural beauty makes one feel they are staying at a private retreat rather than a standard Marriott. One night is certainly insufficient and I plan to return on my next trip to Costa Rica.

Note: Upon arrival at SJO, taxi service can be arranged inside the airport just outside the baggage claim area. This way you can prepay for your transfer and will be guided to your vehicle. Alternatively, using a private transfer will give you peace of mind although at a much higher cost.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are more than adequate for one person. Request a room on the 3rd floor or higher ove...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel is very close to the airport about 15 minutes. A taxi will not be more than $15 us. We had a beautiful room with a small terrace on the scenic grounds. The hotel decor is very Spanish Hacienda with heavy dark wood doors and bright yellow walls. There's a wonderful restaurant for breakfast with glorious views of the golf course and palm trees. I had my morning breakfast there every day it just pretty. There's also a delicious Peruvian restaurant with some of the best ceviche I ever had. The rooms are a comfortable size as are the bathroom. My only note is that not all rooms have a mini fridge. And if you order any dish from the cafeteria be prepared to wait.

• Stayed November 2014
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed in Costa Rica Marriott at San Jose during a long business trip. It is more a resort hotel and was a great surprise for a business trip. I only wish I had planned a holiday with family.
The hotel has a beautiful Spanish Architecture, lush and well maintained Golf driving range and a lot of green surrounding.
My favorite was having coffee and breakfast sitting at the restaurant Antigua with a view to golf range and mountains/hills beyond as the backdrop. I miss the long walks within the property.

I feel like going back to CR just to stay in the hotel. The staff is very nice and helpful. I did struggle initially with vegetarian food, however on asking the lounge/ chef did prepare special vegetarian food, which was outside the menu.

Room Tip: Ask for the room view to the golf course
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Oscarbolanos, Gerente at Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
There is nothing better than enjoy a cup of coffee with a nice view as you describe it, and our terrace is the best place to have a nice breakfast at morning.
What makes this beautiful hacienda unique is the fact that we are 15 minutes away from the airport and no more than 25 minutes from the main cities.
We are glad the chef could help you preparing your special vegetarian food.
I hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Oscar Bolaños Vargas
Bars & Restaurants Manager

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!