“People make a difference” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose

Save Saved
You added Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose to your Saves list
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 mts West from Bridgestone/Firestone, San Antonio De Belen 502-4005, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Airport Shuttle Offer
Calgary, Canada
“People make a difference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

In every area of this hotel, the staff treated you the way you hope to be treated. I stayed here for 4 nights and always felt anything I needed was easily achievable.

Pros:

Friendly staff
Great pool/spa/health club
Close to airport

Cons:

Not sure I can up with many. Not a cheap place to stay but many times you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed here for our very last night in Costa Rica b/c it was only a $15 cab ride away from SJO. We walked in without reservations but had no issues booking a room and checking in. We chose the $60.00 upgrade which included free Wi-Fi, Breakfast buffet and few other ammenities. Gotta be honest, the hotel is a little spooky though. Old colonial decor and dark color scheme...I'm telling you this is the perfect place to shoot a horror flick. Walk through the garden at night and look up at the hotel building...you'll know what I'm talking about!

They have a great fitness center with a ton of new equipment and a really clean really blue pool. Gift shop on the main level was amazing.

They also have a few restaurants and a lounge. We ate both dinner and breakfast at the restaurant downstairs which serves latin food. Must try: House-made fries and their guacamole! The breakfast buffet is actually one of the best we've had in Costa Rica. Crispy french toast, a delicious take on juevos rancheros, fresh made tortilla, fresh fruit...

Not bad for last night in CR.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed our first night in CR here before jetting off to Volcan Arenal. First let me say that the hotel and grounds are beautiful. Lot's of dark wood and a colonial style feel. Our room was good sized for this type of hotel, and the staff was friendly. We ate dinner at the restaurant, and found the food to be quite good, although expensive - not that we expected a value mean at this type of hotel.

We ended up eating breakfast (croissant, liquado, coffee) in the coffee shop up front overlooking the coffee garden which was nice.

The hotel seemed rather empty for the capacity they can hold, which was fine with us as we weren't looking to share our holiday with tons of other tourists at the hotel.

The pool was stunning, although cold. We still enjoyed ourselves by going back/forth between swimming in the pool and relaxing in the jacuzzi.

Internet and breakfast are not included which with a family of 4 could run an extra ~$85 a day if so chosen (we didn't!). When we checked in, they asked us if we wanted to upgrade for an extra $80 a night to include internet, breakfast, and a pool-side view room. We looked at the room, and it was the same size as our existing room so we passed. Interesting that the 'rack rate' between the 2 rooms was only $20, so I guess they're trying to sell the Internet and breakfast...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I was staying here on the last night on my trip because I have an early AM flights back to the states.
When I arrived I was welcomed by a mean man wearing a tie. He made it like he was doing me a favor to check me into my room. I know no one is obligated to do anything but I asked him for an upgrade because it is my honeymoon he looked at me and said let me see what I can do... All of a sudden he got into bait and switch mode "your room is facing the parking lot for another $60 I'll put you on our executive floor" I replied Nahh I pass he went on and on how I don't have a real balcony I don't have free Internet I don't have assess to the Buffett or breakfast and that I should really consider switching. After i replied NO agian He basicly he gave me my key cards and grinch like grin
After everything I went to my little room which was outdated and extremely small and the price tag was high this just wasn't the way i wanted to end my trip.stay anywhere else in Costa rica and you are welcomed pura vita. This hotel doesn't have the costarican hospitality I was looking for.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

From the initial encounter with the front to desk to every other aspect of our stay, our experience at the Costa Rica Marriott, San Jose was a lesson in how to provide guests with a relaxing, rewarding and low pressure stay.
The only thing that I would count as a possible negative was that one meal we had in the main restaurant was not that great, but the friendly, smiling staff made up for any doubts we might have, at every turn.
Breakfast was excellent, the bed was dreamy, the room we stayed in was quiet and very comfortable. Grounds were well-tended, the fitness room was outstanding for a hotel and the spa was top class.
We attended a conference, but the business side of the hotel did not infringe upon the leisure side. The building itself is well planned and not at all boxy, like some hotels, and the interior/exterior feel worked wonderfully.

Room Tip: An upper floor room in the main building would be my preferred location.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good place to stay on your last night in CR. A bit expensive though and don't buy anything from the shop... you can buy all that stuff at the airport without paying the extra taxes. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The robes were awesome! The bathroom is a bit small but fine. They have a golf course, which we didn't use, two pools and a hot tub.

Room Tip: We had 443 and it had a beautiful view on the mountains.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Was the perfect place to start the vacation as we needed to get aquatinted with the customs and people and learn first hand what a great country CR is. We ended up going to the pennisula and out on a catamaran cruise a crocodile safari up a river and learned how to surf. Oh ya and quaded on the top of the continental divide, what a view.

• Stayed December 2011

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!