“Poor management Ruind the last night of a wonderful honeymoon” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose

You added Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose to your Saves list
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 mts West from Bridgestone/Firestone, San Antonio De Belen 502-4005, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Advance Savings offer!
“Poor management Ruind the last night of a wonderful honeymoon”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I was staying here on the last night on my trip because I have an early AM flights back to the states.
When I arrived I was welcomed by a mean man wearing a tie. He made it like he was doing me a favor to check me into my room. I know no one is obligated to do anything but I asked him for an upgrade because it is my honeymoon he looked at me and said let me see what I can do... All of a sudden he got into bait and switch mode "your room is facing the parking lot for another $60 I'll put you on our executive floor" I replied Nahh I pass he went on and on how I don't have a real balcony I don't have free Internet I don't have assess to the Buffett or breakfast and that I should really consider switching. After i replied NO agian He basicly he gave me my key cards and grinch like grin
After everything I went to my little room which was outdated and extremely small and the price tag was high this just wasn't the way i wanted to end my trip.stay anywhere else in Costa rica and you are welcomed pura vita. This hotel doesn't have the costarican hospitality I was looking for.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

From the initial encounter with the front to desk to every other aspect of our stay, our experience at the Costa Rica Marriott, San Jose was a lesson in how to provide guests with a relaxing, rewarding and low pressure stay.
The only thing that I would count as a possible negative was that one meal we had in the main restaurant was not that great, but the friendly, smiling staff made up for any doubts we might have, at every turn.
Breakfast was excellent, the bed was dreamy, the room we stayed in was quiet and very comfortable. Grounds were well-tended, the fitness room was outstanding for a hotel and the spa was top class.
We attended a conference, but the business side of the hotel did not infringe upon the leisure side. The building itself is well planned and not at all boxy, like some hotels, and the interior/exterior feel worked wonderfully.

Room Tip: An upper floor room in the main building would be my preferred location.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good place to stay on your last night in CR. A bit expensive though and don't buy anything from the shop... you can buy all that stuff at the airport without paying the extra taxes. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The robes were awesome! The bathroom is a bit small but fine. They have a golf course, which we didn't use, two pools and a hot tub.

Room Tip: We had 443 and it had a beautiful view on the mountains.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Was the perfect place to start the vacation as we needed to get aquatinted with the customs and people and learn first hand what a great country CR is. We ended up going to the pennisula and out on a catamaran cruise a crocodile safari up a river and learned how to surf. Oh ya and quaded on the top of the continental divide, what a view.

• Stayed December 2011
Melbourne, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

As many have said, this is a great hotel for the first night in Costa Rica, but if you have the time the property has enough to keep you busy for a few days. The grounds are gorgeous and the restaurants are above average for hotel fare. The common area has beautiful decor including an open courtyard. The buffet breakfast is a must, and if you plan your trip accordingly, it is offered for free on weekends. It is conveniently located close to the airport and rental car companies. If you are one that must be linked in with the internet they offer it for free in common areas. This was not our first visit to this hotel and will not be our last!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city if you want to see the lights at night.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is an absolutely beautiful hotel. We came to San Jose at the end of a long business trip and had reserved another hotel down the road. After checking in to that hotel, we immediately checked back out and grabbed taxi to the Marriott. It was like heaven on earth compared to the first hotel. It is quiet, peaceful, and just beautifully decorated. There are dozens of lovely details like painted tiles on the stairs and frescoes on the ceilings. The pool is really lovely as well. I only have one little complaint and that is that it is a little noisy in the mornings. The hallways have a very pretty tile that unfortunately amplifies noise a little so at 8 am we could very clearly hear the cleaning staff going up and down the hall. But it was a small price to pay compared to the hell that was the first hotel that we checked in to... San Jose is not really a very nice city - I would recommend staying here at the Marriott and taking day trips outside the city if you come here for vacation. For a business trip - it is fantastic! It's located close to the airport and away from all of the city noise.

Room Tip: Maybe if you choose a room at the end of the hall it would be a little quieter. I do recommend the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Yes, it's a little expensive so don't consider this hotel if you're on a tight budget. But if you want to splurge and don't feel like exploring smaller hotels, than this is for you. The hotel is on beautiful grounds and a has a lot to offer: pools, spa, restaurants, a cafe, a golf course. You could easily spend a couple of days here just relaxing and enjoying the weather.
The breakfast is delicious, the staff is professional and everything is clean & immaculate. The building itself is impressive. It's located very far from the hustle and bustle of San Jose but within a ten minute drive to the airport. There are some stores and shops not far from the hotel (but not within walking distance).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!