“Good for a quck stop” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center

You added Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center to your Saves list
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 San Jose | 3 miles South from Juan Santamaria International Airport, San Antonio De Belen 71880-1000, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good for a quck stop”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We started our honeymoon at this hotel, because we didn't want to drive three hours upon arrival in San Jose.

As others have commented, be prepared to wait for a room upon checkin. We got to the hotel at 3:10, and didn't get a rrom until 4 p.m...when I gently pressed the front desk clerks (who are all very nice).

The Jacuzzi in our toom was great, especially as we were too tired to make use of the pools on a rainy afternoon.

Dinner at Tropicala was OK but not memorable (about $50 US for two apps, two entrees and a bottle of Pellegrino). Again, as others have mentioned, this hotel caters to large groups, and our options were to eat at 5:30 or after 7:30 on a Monday night.

Breakfast at Tropicala the next morning was much better: a well-assorted buffet, and the cost was included in our room price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting our hotel. We are glad to enjoyed the jacuzzi, the accommodation and the breakfast buffet. we will take into consideration your comments with regard to the delay at check in and the scheduled hours for evening meals.

We trust that you enjoyed the rest of your honeymoon here in Costa Rica and we look forward to seeing you again.

Yours sincerely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Wyndham Herradura (where I just stayed for a week) has al it takes for a great conference of up to 1000 people. Employees in general are polite and deserve praise. The Tropicalia restaurant is an excellent choice for off-conference occasions such as breakfast and dinner. Of the other two restaurants, the Sakura already got my thn=umbs-down in another review, and the other is a good Italian within 50m walking distance from the lobby. Eating out has its risks: the shopping mall just across Americas highway can be reached by foot in ten minutes, and there is a McDonalds and two dozen other fast food options which I did not try (I like real food). But five members of our conference got mugged at gunpoint on that trajectory. As to the Herradura, avoid room 6116 (a loud generator is built under that room). And the flushing toilets in the Herradura are a real health risk, as they have a constantly full pool of water which maximizes splashback (and other problems for men).

Room Tip: Avois 6112 and 6116 (loud generator under window - but if you call reception, they will turn it off...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to make your comments about your most recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed the meals at Tropicala Restaurant when you were not attending the conference.

With regard to your comments about the room, I will be talking to the Maintenance Manager to address your feeback. This area of the central valley is considered to be quite safe, so I am sorry to hear about your colleagues´ experience. I will mention it to local authorities.

I hope you will return in the future.

Crested Butte, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We decided to book the Wyndham as it is a reportable name. We arrived less than an hour before check in. They said the room would be ready in 15 min. We came back in 25. The room was still not ready. We left found a mall across the street to waste time. We came back in an hour. We asked the manager for a discount due to the shuttle hour are after the time we need to leave. An extra $14 to the airport. They would not. The bell man chimed in and said a group was leaving at that time and we could join them. The manager was not aware of this? Our first room was so musty we could not stand it. The next room is better but still musty and mildewy. If you had allergies you would not be happy. This hotel for the price is not worth it

• Stayed June 2013
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear guest,

In reponse to your comments. Our hotel policy is that check in time is at 3PM. About the other points that you mentioned I would like to ask you to please contact me as soon as you can, because I am not able to understand what your complaints are exactly. I would like to clarify that our shuttle service is going back and forth to airport free of charge.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed there for a business trip and my impression is merely average. The staff was very friendly and helpful, breakfast buffet was great with lots of options, and the location only 10 minutes away from the airport is definitely a great advantage. Having said that, I have to agree with some of reviews that the rooms and common areas are not up to Wyndham standards; they look quite outdated and call for some serious renovation. The photos on the hotel's website are very misleading in this matter. Also not much sound proofing, my sleep was easily disturbed by people talking in the hallway or the staff working outside in the very morning. No fridge was provided and the hot water in the shower was non-existent for the first two days. I would probably look for an alternative accommodation if it was not for the convenient location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff always strive to provide the best service possible. The Tropicala restaurant has recently been renovated and the menu has been improved up to Wyndham standards.

Most of our clients stay with us becuase our strategic location (10 minutes away from the airport). Yes, we did have problems with the heater, however it has been resolved since two weeks. I have gotten confirmation that our rooms are going to be renovated in next few months, with this renovation all our rooms will be brought to Wyndham standards.

Looking forward to serving you soon.

Best regards,
Surfers Paradise, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

was surprised how great the stay was. i stayed for business and was upgraded to a junoir suite and loved it. shame i was alone and on business. however i think the policy of no outside guests in the hotel is a bit strict! i had a friend staying at another hotel next door attending the same conference, come visit me at the wyndham for drinks and they would not let him in the hotel. and it was only 7pm. i found this a bit strange and even when i offered to pay for a 2nd guest on my room the receptionist would not allow this. the pool needs a good clean as there was green all over the bottom, and they start service work EARLY! its good for an airport hotel as its close but not as noisy as your usual. this is all i would use it for next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate the fact that you had a good stay and took advantage of all our convenient aspects. As far as the policy of no outside guest, I would like to mention that we add here to the legal system to protect all our guest from elegal activities.

We hope to see you again in a near future.

Best regards,
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I agree with previous reviewer’s comments this hotel is not up to Wyndham standards. Photos do not match reality.It is located in an industrial area, relatively close to the airport. Whilst we were here the main swimming pool area was closed for construction, so a very limited sun area. The dinner buffet is poor, not worth $22 This is coffee growing country, please offer hot good coffee for breakfast and hot water showers. Please check the bathroom windows , they are in need of a good clean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Your comments are very well appreciated. We have taken inmediate action and solved all the issues at hand. The food & beverage manager has improved the variety and quiality of our menus. Also, the cofee is being brewed more frecuently in order to keep it fresh and hot. The house keeping department has been advise to review the check list more efficiently.

We look forward to serving you soon.

Sydney, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night at the start of my trip to Costa Rica and for three nights at the end of the two weeks but I was in different rooms on each occasion as they were booked separately.
1st experience
The staff was very friendly and accommodating and helped me to my room. While everything in my room worked fine, the actual hotel (lobby, pool area, etc) was not at all the way it was described online. The pool was very dirty and cloudy and the furnishings were very dated. This is not usually something I give a second thought to, but when you are lead to believe that a hotel looks a certain way, that is how it should look when you arrive…or very close to it. Other than this, everything was ok during my stay

2nd experience
This is when I received very, very disappointing service and a room with quite a few issues. Before I arrived, I emailed the hotel to find out if I was able to exchange my Canadian dollars for Colones at their front desk currency exchange because CAN$ is pretty useless in Costa Rica. They emailed me back and told me I could do this and it would not be a problem. When I arrived, I only had Canadian cash left (and my bank card and credit card) so I immediately tried to do the exchange and was told that they did not exchange Canadian money! I was told to go across the street to the bank in the mall to see if they could do it. I went to two banks and neither one of them would do the exchange which meant that I was stuck using my bank card and credit card for the remainder of my trip – and this meant I was being billed huge international fees! I went back to the front desk at the hotel and told them what happened and they knew how frustrated I was and just shrugged their shoulders and said there was nothing they could do – even though they were the ones who gave me the wrong information. At one point, a manager told me that there was a bank in Downtown San Jose that exchanged all currency and that there was a bus that went there every twenty minutes. I tried to explain to him that I could not get buses or cabs because all I had were cards and zero cash. At no point did he offer me any money to go downtown or did he arrange to have a shuttle service or hotel taxi bring me downtown. Now for the room during this second stay:
-there were no accessible outlets to charge my cell phone and other electronics. I had to move heavy furniture and unplug room appliances in order to plug in my own.
-two overhead lights were not working
-The window in the bathroom could not be closed all the way and there was loud construction going on right outside.
-Before my arrival, I was told that there was a free shuttle that took visitors to the downtown area of San Jose. This shuttle did not even exist for any price.
-The rooms were very NOT soundproof

Overall my experience with this hotel was not great. The rooms were quite clean and the food was good but the service was not as I expected for such a large hotel catering to business and international travelers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry about this incident and all the troubles you went through. The operations manager has been advise about your complain to make sure that this does not happen to our guests in the future. We think is important to mention that our swimming pool was just renovated so we hope you will be able to enjoy it on your next trip. I would like to contact you to offer a personal apology, please write to mruiz@wyndhamherradura.com

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Warmest regards,

Been to Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!