“not too bad but........” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham San Jose Herradura

Expedia.com Booking.com
Wyndham San Jose Herradura
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Autopista General Canas & San Antonio de Belen crossing, San Antonio De Belen 71880-1000, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“not too bad but........”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

was surprised how great the stay was. i stayed for business and was upgraded to a junoir suite and loved it. shame i was alone and on business. however i think the policy of no outside guests in the hotel is a bit strict! i had a friend staying at another hotel next door attending the same conference, come visit me at the wyndham for drinks and they would not let him in the hotel. and it was only 7pm. i found this a bit strange and even when i offered to pay for a 2nd guest on my room the receptionist would not allow this. the pool needs a good clean as there was green all over the bottom, and they start service work EARLY! its good for an airport hotel as its close but not as noisy as your usual. this is all i would use it for next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate the fact that you had a good stay and took advantage of all our convenient aspects. As far as the policy of no outside guest, I would like to mention that we add here to the legal system to protect all our guest from elegal activities.

We hope to see you again in a near future.

352 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I agree with previous reviewer’s comments this hotel is not up to Wyndham standards. Photos do not match reality.It is located in an industrial area, relatively close to the airport. Whilst we were here the main swimming pool area was closed for construction, so a very limited sun area. The dinner buffet is poor, not worth $22 This is coffee growing country, please offer hot good coffee for breakfast and hot water showers. Please check the bathroom windows , they are in need of a good clean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Your comments are very well appreciated. We have taken inmediate action and solved all the issues at hand. The food & beverage manager has improved the variety and quiality of our menus. Also, the cofee is being brewed more frecuently in order to keep it fresh and hot. The house keeping department has been advise to review the check list more efficiently.

We look forward to serving you soon.

Regards,
Sydney, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night at the start of my trip to Costa Rica and for three nights at the end of the two weeks but I was in different rooms on each occasion as they were booked separately.
1st experience
The staff was very friendly and accommodating and helped me to my room. While everything in my room worked fine, the actual hotel (lobby, pool area, etc) was not at all the way it was described online. The pool was very dirty and cloudy and the furnishings were very dated. This is not usually something I give a second thought to, but when you are lead to believe that a hotel looks a certain way, that is how it should look when you arrive…or very close to it. Other than this, everything was ok during my stay

2nd experience
This is when I received very, very disappointing service and a room with quite a few issues. Before I arrived, I emailed the hotel to find out if I was able to exchange my Canadian dollars for Colones at their front desk currency exchange because CAN$ is pretty useless in Costa Rica. They emailed me back and told me I could do this and it would not be a problem. When I arrived, I only had Canadian cash left (and my bank card and credit card) so I immediately tried to do the exchange and was told that they did not exchange Canadian money! I was told to go across the street to the bank in the mall to see if they could do it. I went to two banks and neither one of them would do the exchange which meant that I was stuck using my bank card and credit card for the remainder of my trip – and this meant I was being billed huge international fees! I went back to the front desk at the hotel and told them what happened and they knew how frustrated I was and just shrugged their shoulders and said there was nothing they could do – even though they were the ones who gave me the wrong information. At one point, a manager told me that there was a bank in Downtown San Jose that exchanged all currency and that there was a bus that went there every twenty minutes. I tried to explain to him that I could not get buses or cabs because all I had were cards and zero cash. At no point did he offer me any money to go downtown or did he arrange to have a shuttle service or hotel taxi bring me downtown. Now for the room during this second stay:
-there were no accessible outlets to charge my cell phone and other electronics. I had to move heavy furniture and unplug room appliances in order to plug in my own.
-two overhead lights were not working
-The window in the bathroom could not be closed all the way and there was loud construction going on right outside.
-Before my arrival, I was told that there was a free shuttle that took visitors to the downtown area of San Jose. This shuttle did not even exist for any price.
-The rooms were very NOT soundproof

Overall my experience with this hotel was not great. The rooms were quite clean and the food was good but the service was not as I expected for such a large hotel catering to business and international travelers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry about this incident and all the troubles you went through. The operations manager has been advise about your complain to make sure that this does not happen to our guests in the future. We think is important to mention that our swimming pool was just renovated so we hope you will be able to enjoy it on your next trip. I would like to contact you to offer a personal apology, please write to mruiz@wyndhamherradura.com

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Warmest regards,
Fairhope, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed here for a business trip in April 2013.
A word of warning.....There are NO early check-in's here.
The first room I received had a filthy comforter, the shower didn't work, and the bathroom was dirty. I travel to countries much worse than Costa Rica and this was one of the most shameful rooms I'd ever seen. I can't believe Wyndham would put their name on such a place. I complained and got upgraded to a more acceptable room, but still the whole place looks worn and tired. There is no a/c in the common areas. The bars are pretty pricey, but both the ushi and Italian restaurants are very good. Good breakfast at Tropicali's as well. This is only 10 minutes from the airport, but I'd travel further next time to stay at a better hotel. San Jose has better options. Skip this one.
They're building a Hard Rock in front of this hotel. They'll likely either make the necessary changes, or become a parking lot.

Room Tip: Stay at a better hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Apologies for the inconvenience. Allow me to clarify a few points:

- Early check in can only be done based on availability and this is a standard for every hotel. Our check in time is at 2PM. The hotel provides a luggage storage service if needed.

- We are aware that you were upgraded to a better room free of charge. As far as the housekepping details, they have already been addressed.
- I would like to remain you that our common areas are open air surrounded by beautiful and tropical gardens. As we are an eco friendly hotel we consider that the air conditioning is unecessary.

We are glad you enjoyed the food and restaurants. We would like to invite you to stay with us in the future.

Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed here one nigh, prior to an early morning flight home. Really lovely modern hotel. Definitely up to USA standards. Rooms were excellent, clean and very spacious. There is even a casino off the lobby area. Would stay her again if in the area. We had a great dinner buffet, but the bagged breakfast was mediocre.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear your comments. It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests enjoy our environmentaly friendly hotel and all its amenities. Our bagged breakfast includes a fruit, yourgurt, juice, sandwich so we apprecite your suggestions in order to serve you better in the future.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Regards,
Quebec City, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Surprised that Wyndham was not offering more quality in San Jose. Pool water was not inviting, no ice cube machine on the floors, no vending machine. Rooms need to be renovated. Excellent breakfast but dinner buffet just okay, not much.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your commets. Previously our hotel had ice machines, however during the renovations it was decided that they should all be replaced. Therofe, the older machines were removed and we are negotiating for new models for the entire hotel. With regard to your comment about the swimming pool, guests usually seem to enjoy the pools. Could you possibly elaborate on you statement?

Perhaps you noticed that we are indeed working on renovating our rooms, this is a slow but steady process and I hope that you will note the difference on your next visit. We trust that we will see you again soon.

KlamathFalls, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

When I think of Wyndham I think of impeccable luxury. This misses that standard by a long shot. Our room was old, and looked out on the roof of a manufacturing building of some sort. While this may be the best option near the airport you might want to keep looking, since there are other options closer to the airport that are newer. This property seems to cater to groups and conventions.
There's a mall being constructed right across the parking lot from the hotel. This may make the hotel more desirable, but construction may take awhile!
Staff was very nice.

Room Tip: Higher is better!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay. Our on going renovations are aimed at insuring that all our rooms are comfortable and modernized as soon as possible. Of course, this is not a rapid process but we are definitely making progress and all our rooms will soon be up to par. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast. Could you please provide us with any suggestions you might have for improving our dinner buffets?

The construction you mention is the soon to open Hard Rock Café which we trust will provide our clients with yet another dining option, as well as excellent entertaiment.

Truly yours,

Been to Wyndham San Jose Herradura? Share your experiences!