“Very misleading service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center

You added Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center to your Saves list
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 San Jose | 3 miles South from Juan Santamaria International Airport, San Antonio De Belen 71880-1000, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Sydney, Canada
“Very misleading service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night at the start of my trip to Costa Rica and for three nights at the end of the two weeks but I was in different rooms on each occasion as they were booked separately.
1st experience
The staff was very friendly and accommodating and helped me to my room. While everything in my room worked fine, the actual hotel (lobby, pool area, etc) was not at all the way it was described online. The pool was very dirty and cloudy and the furnishings were very dated. This is not usually something I give a second thought to, but when you are lead to believe that a hotel looks a certain way, that is how it should look when you arrive…or very close to it. Other than this, everything was ok during my stay

2nd experience
This is when I received very, very disappointing service and a room with quite a few issues. Before I arrived, I emailed the hotel to find out if I was able to exchange my Canadian dollars for Colones at their front desk currency exchange because CAN$ is pretty useless in Costa Rica. They emailed me back and told me I could do this and it would not be a problem. When I arrived, I only had Canadian cash left (and my bank card and credit card) so I immediately tried to do the exchange and was told that they did not exchange Canadian money! I was told to go across the street to the bank in the mall to see if they could do it. I went to two banks and neither one of them would do the exchange which meant that I was stuck using my bank card and credit card for the remainder of my trip – and this meant I was being billed huge international fees! I went back to the front desk at the hotel and told them what happened and they knew how frustrated I was and just shrugged their shoulders and said there was nothing they could do – even though they were the ones who gave me the wrong information. At one point, a manager told me that there was a bank in Downtown San Jose that exchanged all currency and that there was a bus that went there every twenty minutes. I tried to explain to him that I could not get buses or cabs because all I had were cards and zero cash. At no point did he offer me any money to go downtown or did he arrange to have a shuttle service or hotel taxi bring me downtown. Now for the room during this second stay:
-there were no accessible outlets to charge my cell phone and other electronics. I had to move heavy furniture and unplug room appliances in order to plug in my own.
-two overhead lights were not working
-The window in the bathroom could not be closed all the way and there was loud construction going on right outside.
-Before my arrival, I was told that there was a free shuttle that took visitors to the downtown area of San Jose. This shuttle did not even exist for any price.
-The rooms were very NOT soundproof

Overall my experience with this hotel was not great. The rooms were quite clean and the food was good but the service was not as I expected for such a large hotel catering to business and international travelers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry about this incident and all the troubles you went through. The operations manager has been advise about your complain to make sure that this does not happen to our guests in the future. We think is important to mention that our swimming pool was just renovated so we hope you will be able to enjoy it on your next trip. I would like to contact you to offer a personal apology, please write to mruiz@wyndhamherradura.com

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Warmest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Fairhope, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed here for a business trip in April 2013.
A word of warning.....There are NO early check-in's here.
The first room I received had a filthy comforter, the shower didn't work, and the bathroom was dirty. I travel to countries much worse than Costa Rica and this was one of the most shameful rooms I'd ever seen. I can't believe Wyndham would put their name on such a place. I complained and got upgraded to a more acceptable room, but still the whole place looks worn and tired. There is no a/c in the common areas. The bars are pretty pricey, but both the ushi and Italian restaurants are very good. Good breakfast at Tropicali's as well. This is only 10 minutes from the airport, but I'd travel further next time to stay at a better hotel. San Jose has better options. Skip this one.
They're building a Hard Rock in front of this hotel. They'll likely either make the necessary changes, or become a parking lot.

Room Tip: Stay at a better hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Apologies for the inconvenience. Allow me to clarify a few points:

- Early check in can only be done based on availability and this is a standard for every hotel. Our check in time is at 2PM. The hotel provides a luggage storage service if needed.

- We are aware that you were upgraded to a better room free of charge. As far as the housekepping details, they have already been addressed.
- I would like to remain you that our common areas are open air surrounded by beautiful and tropical gardens. As we are an eco friendly hotel we consider that the air conditioning is unecessary.

We are glad you enjoyed the food and restaurants. We would like to invite you to stay with us in the future.

Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed here one nigh, prior to an early morning flight home. Really lovely modern hotel. Definitely up to USA standards. Rooms were excellent, clean and very spacious. There is even a casino off the lobby area. Would stay her again if in the area. We had a great dinner buffet, but the bagged breakfast was mediocre.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear your comments. It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests enjoy our environmentaly friendly hotel and all its amenities. Our bagged breakfast includes a fruit, yourgurt, juice, sandwich so we apprecite your suggestions in order to serve you better in the future.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Regards,
Quebec City, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Surprised that Wyndham was not offering more quality in San Jose. Pool water was not inviting, no ice cube machine on the floors, no vending machine. Rooms need to be renovated. Excellent breakfast but dinner buffet just okay, not much.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your commets. Previously our hotel had ice machines, however during the renovations it was decided that they should all be replaced. Therofe, the older machines were removed and we are negotiating for new models for the entire hotel. With regard to your comment about the swimming pool, guests usually seem to enjoy the pools. Could you possibly elaborate on you statement?

Perhaps you noticed that we are indeed working on renovating our rooms, this is a slow but steady process and I hope that you will note the difference on your next visit. We trust that we will see you again soon.

KlamathFalls, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

When I think of Wyndham I think of impeccable luxury. This misses that standard by a long shot. Our room was old, and looked out on the roof of a manufacturing building of some sort. While this may be the best option near the airport you might want to keep looking, since there are other options closer to the airport that are newer. This property seems to cater to groups and conventions.
There's a mall being constructed right across the parking lot from the hotel. This may make the hotel more desirable, but construction may take awhile!
Staff was very nice.

Room Tip: Higher is better!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay. Our on going renovations are aimed at insuring that all our rooms are comfortable and modernized as soon as possible. Of course, this is not a rapid process but we are definitely making progress and all our rooms will soon be up to par. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast. Could you please provide us with any suggestions you might have for improving our dinner buffets?

The construction you mention is the soon to open Hard Rock Café which we trust will provide our clients with yet another dining option, as well as excellent entertaiment.

Truly yours,
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The hotel is nice but make sure you stay in the tower, it's newer and the rooms are nicer. The buffet is decent but not worth the $22. There is a Hard Rock Cafe being built across the parking lot so there was construction noise but I can't blame the hotel for that. Within a few blocks there is a nice pizza joint, an Argentinian steak house, and a few restaurants across the highway, including an applebees near the mall There are three restaurants in the hotel, tropicala ( the hotel restaurant), Quatro is Italian and Sakura. Sakura is a Japanese steak house, I've dined there several times and was always happy, I'd definitely go back....it's close to the airport and not too far from San Jose, easy access to anything you need. After I figured out which rooms to stay in and where to eat it was a good place to stay and I wouldn't hesitate booking here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you feedback about your expercience in our hotel. We are glad you had such a great stay. As you could see our location is very good even if you are travel for business or leisure as well. We have renovated our guestrooms so all of them will be updated very soon. Also, our Hard Rock Café will open in June of this year.

Hope to serve you in your next trip.

Regards,
Burley, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My bank travel club used this hotel for the first and last night of a Globus tour and I found this property to be a disappointment both times. We arrived our first night tired (6 pm) and hungry to find limited items left available on the buffet and a less than gracious wait staff. Our last night check in was a nightmare-rooms were not ready, special room requests were ignored, incorrect names were not assigned to rooms and therefore luggage was not delivered to correct rooms and it took almost 2 hours to reach the correct people. My bathroom floor was filthy, one room had a problem with the toilet and when it was fixed they did not mop up the floor but left standing water for my club member to clean up after she waded in it. The hotel caterers alot of weddings and we listened to loud music until 2 am in the morning before a 4 am transfer to the airport. I would not recommend this property for group travel and if I travel on my own to Costa Rica I will look else where for a hotel close to the airport-the only real advantage of staying at the Wyndham..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Valerie,

Your comments are very important to us. Globus Groups are our most valued accounts, therefore, we are doing to take into consideration all your remarks and take immediate action in order to keep serving you in the future. Please accept our appoligies. We would like to make sure that every department involved will follow up.

Please allow me to offer you an up grade to a junior suite for your next visit. Hopefully you will be satisfied.

Best regards,

Been to Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!