I stayed at this hotel for one night at the start of my trip to Costa Rica and for three nights at the end of the two weeks but I was in different rooms on each occasion as they were booked separately.
The staff was very friendly and accommodating and helped me to my room. While everything in my room worked fine, the actual hotel (lobby, pool area, etc) was not at all the way it was described online. The pool was very dirty and cloudy and the furnishings were very dated. This is not usually something I give a second thought to, but when you are lead to believe that a hotel looks a certain way, that is how it should look when you arrive…or very close to it. Other than this, everything was ok during my stay
This is when I received very, very disappointing service and a room with quite a few issues. Before I arrived, I emailed the hotel to find out if I was able to exchange my Canadian dollars for Colones at their front desk currency exchange because CAN$ is pretty useless in Costa Rica. They emailed me back and told me I could do this and it would not be a problem. When I arrived, I only had Canadian cash left (and my bank card and credit card) so I immediately tried to do the exchange and was told that they did not exchange Canadian money! I was told to go across the street to the bank in the mall to see if they could do it. I went to two banks and neither one of them would do the exchange which meant that I was stuck using my bank card and credit card for the remainder of my trip – and this meant I was being billed huge international fees! I went back to the front desk at the hotel and told them what happened and they knew how frustrated I was and just shrugged their shoulders and said there was nothing they could do – even though they were the ones who gave me the wrong information. At one point, a manager told me that there was a bank in Downtown San Jose that exchanged all currency and that there was a bus that went there every twenty minutes. I tried to explain to him that I could not get buses or cabs because all I had were cards and zero cash. At no point did he offer me any money to go downtown or did he arrange to have a shuttle service or hotel taxi bring me downtown. Now for the room during this second stay:
-there were no accessible outlets to charge my cell phone and other electronics. I had to move heavy furniture and unplug room appliances in order to plug in my own.
-two overhead lights were not working
-The window in the bathroom could not be closed all the way and there was loud construction going on right outside.
-Before my arrival, I was told that there was a free shuttle that took visitors to the downtown area of San Jose. This shuttle did not even exist for any price.
-The rooms were very NOT soundproof
Overall my experience with this hotel was not great. The rooms were quite clean and the food was good but the service was not as I expected for such a large hotel catering to business and international travelers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With a prime location just minutes from Juan Santamaria International Airport, visitors to Costa Rica's capital city will find the Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center the ideal retreat, with a wealth of amenities, an idyllic setting and world-class service. With downtown San Jose just minutes away, adventurous leisure travelers will enjoy magnificent natural attractions including the Poas and Arenal volcanoes, rainforest trails and a host of splendid cultural attractions, while business travelers will appreciate the close proximity to a number of prominent business addresses and Free Zones, as well as the hotel's impressive International Conference Center, making this San Jose, Costa Rica hotel the perfect choice for all travelers. Those seeking recreation will revel in a host of activities, including three sparkling outdoor pools, a fully equipped fitness center and special privileges at the nearby prestigious Cariari Country Club and Golf Resort, with 18-holes of golf and tennis courts. Guests craving relaxation can unwind in one of five Jacuzzis, enjoy a relaxing massage in the full-service spa or a respite in the sauna, while fun-seekers will enjoy the non-stop gaming at the on-site Fiesta Casino. With three restaurants and a stylish bar offering a variety of cuisines, guests can savor a host of food and beverage options and enjoy a daily bountiful, complimentary breakfast buffet. Guests arriving into Juan Santamaria International Airport can hop aboard the convenient free shuttle service, and the 24-hour business center and complimentary Wi-Fi affords guests the opportunity to stay productive. With an on-site beauty salon, gift shop, child-care services and more, the hotel offers everything a guest could need to make their stay as comfortable and stress-free as possible. Each of the hotel's 230 over-sized, smoke-free guest rooms features contemporary styling, a unique fusion of warm and cool tones and thoughtful amenities like a flat panel TV, free Wi-Fi, plush bedding and ultra-modern air conditioning. Superior Rooms offer breathtaking views of the lush gardens, while guests upgrading to the Executive Level enjoy a 42-inch LCD TV, a private lounge, secretarial services and complimentary happy hour. All of the spacious, airy Suites feature a Jacuzzi and separate sitting area, while those wishing to indulge in ultimate pampering will delight in the Honeymoon Suite with its own private sauna or the two-bedroom Presidential Suite with full kitchen and dining room. This San Jose, Costa Rica hotel features the state-of-the-art International Conference Center with over 28,320 square feet of meeting space. The event space ranges from an event room that accommodates up to 10 people, to the 12,800 square-foot Salon La Paz Ballroom that accommodates up to 840 people for a banquet or 110 10X10 foot exhibit booths. There is a Wyndham waiting 3 miles South from Juan Santamaria International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Wyndham, Agoda, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo and Otel so you can book your Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ramada Plaza Herradura Hotel San Jose Metro
- Ramada San Antonio De Belen
- Ramada San Jose
- San Jose Ramada
- Plaza Herradura San Jose Ramada
- Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel And Convention Center Costa Rica/San Antonio De Belen