I stayed at this hotel for one night at the start of my trip to Costa Rica and for three nights at the end of the two weeks but I was in different rooms on each occasion as they were booked separately.
The staff was very friendly and accommodating and helped me to my room. While everything in my room worked fine, the actual hotel (lobby, pool area, etc) was not at all the way it was described online. The pool was very dirty and cloudy and the furnishings were very dated. This is not usually something I give a second thought to, but when you are lead to believe that a hotel looks a certain way, that is how it should look when you arrive…or very close to it. Other than this, everything was ok during my stay
This is when I received very, very disappointing service and a room with quite a few issues. Before I arrived, I emailed the hotel to find out if I was able to exchange my Canadian dollars for Colones at their front desk currency exchange because CAN$ is pretty useless in Costa Rica. They emailed me back and told me I could do this and it would not be a problem. When I arrived, I only had Canadian cash left (and my bank card and credit card) so I immediately tried to do the exchange and was told that they did not exchange Canadian money! I was told to go across the street to the bank in the mall to see if they could do it. I went to two banks and neither one of them would do the exchange which meant that I was stuck using my bank card and credit card for the remainder of my trip – and this meant I was being billed huge international fees! I went back to the front desk at the hotel and told them what happened and they knew how frustrated I was and just shrugged their shoulders and said there was nothing they could do – even though they were the ones who gave me the wrong information. At one point, a manager told me that there was a bank in Downtown San Jose that exchanged all currency and that there was a bus that went there every twenty minutes. I tried to explain to him that I could not get buses or cabs because all I had were cards and zero cash. At no point did he offer me any money to go downtown or did he arrange to have a shuttle service or hotel taxi bring me downtown. Now for the room during this second stay:
-there were no accessible outlets to charge my cell phone and other electronics. I had to move heavy furniture and unplug room appliances in order to plug in my own.
-two overhead lights were not working
-The window in the bathroom could not be closed all the way and there was loud construction going on right outside.
-Before my arrival, I was told that there was a free shuttle that took visitors to the downtown area of San Jose. This shuttle did not even exist for any price.
-The rooms were very NOT soundproof
Overall my experience with this hotel was not great. The rooms were quite clean and the food was good but the service was not as I expected for such a large hotel catering to business and international travelers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Offering refined casual luxury in a relaxing setting, The Wyndham San José – Herradura is a full-service 4 star resort, standing apart from the rest of San Jose Costa Rica hotels. Just 5 miles away from Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO), and 15 minutes away from San Jose downtown, the Wyndham San José – Herradura’s location is idyllic for both business and leisure travelers.A true tropical experience coupled with Costa Rican charm, our hotel features 229 guestrooms and suites, with private terraces overlooking exotic floral gardens. As a guest, take pleasure in the hotel’s free airport shuttle service and access to Cariari Country Club’s Golf Course and Tennis Courts—just a few of the many guest perks distinguishing Wyndham San José – Herradura from the rest of San Jose airport hotels.Our open corridor hotel has 3 sparkling outdoor pools and Jacuzzis, 3 restaurants, one fashionable bar and onsite Casino. Hosting the largest convention center in the country, we enhance various occasions ranging from business seminars to spectacular weddings.With an ambiance of tranquility, the Wyndham San José – Herradura is nestled in the heart of Central Valley, overlooking a breathtaking backdrop of beautiful mountains and lush tropical gardens. With a staff committed to daily incomparable service, we encourage you to kickback and relax. Stay at the Wyndham San José – Herradura and let your worldly worries slip away, all while sitting in the breeze under a palm tree. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Wyndham, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Wyndham San Jose Herradura reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ramada Plaza Herradura Hotel San Jose Metro
- Ramada San Antonio De Belen
- Ramada San Jose
- San Jose Ramada
- Plaza Herradura San Jose Ramada
- Wyndham San Jose Herradura Costa Rica/San Antonio De Belen