“Would have stayed longer” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center

You added Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center to your Saves list
Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 San Jose | 3 miles South from Juan Santamaria International Airport, San Antonio De Belen 71880-1000, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Would have stayed longer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My family just need one night before our group met us for our Costa Rican adventure. The staff was great at the front desk with an easy room change because we came with a lot of luggage and a baby. They provided free shuttle service from the airport. They had nice pools that we never had much chance to use but my daughter wanted to stay longer to play in them all but she got to swim in one after a good breakfast. I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your message and for your very positive comments about the hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
York. PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Wyndam St. Jose Herradura in late February with Collette Travel Services. It only took ten to fifteen minutes to get there from the airport. When I entered the complex with my travel group I saw the construction reported in at least on of the reviews. I exited the bus and entered the hotel. The entrance and lobby were beautiful. The staff was professional and courteous. The registration was efficient. We were in our rooms quickly. The rooms were clean and the decor was very attractive. We took a walk around the hotel. It took a while to find different restaurants (3). The swimming pools were beautiful. It was important to me that I had wifi because I wanted to use "facetime" to contact my daughter and grandson. We were pretty far away from lobby so I expected our signal to be weak. To my pleasant surprise I found a strong signal. I found that there were two routers in our hallway. This may not be important to some but this to my estimation the hotels attempt to accommodate business travelers. They would not have to go to the business center or the lobby to do their work. The landscaping was really well designed. There was an openness to the entire hotel giving it a resort feeling. The one restaurant was located by the largest pool and spas. There we ate a buffet style breakfast. The fare offered there was pretty standard except for nuts and raisins offered with the cereal. I noticed plain clothes security throughout the hotel which would not have been obvious to most but I am a retired police officer and I look for those things.
As for the construction across the entrance; The only thing the construction did was take away from a very attractive entrance. One could not hear noise from the construction even while they were working.
The hotel boasts of free wifi, free international calls, cribs, five free copies made. For traveling families the hotel permits two children in the room at no costs. We had dinner with our group in the Quattro Restaurant. The meal was good but not great. We went into the casino and my wife played the slots for a while then we left. The entire facility was extremely clean.
Con- My only complaint about our room was that the shower only got warm. The shower was not a shower but a whirlpool tub that had a shower. One must be relatively agile to get in and out of the tub. I spoke to the hotel manager who informed me that they are working on correcting this problem. I am also impressed that when there is a negative review, a representative from the hotel responds to the complaint on TripAdvisor with an apology and a promise to address the complaint. I have been in many american hotels of the quality of the Wyndam andt they were not nearly as clean as this one.

I certainly would return to the Wyndam St. Jose Herradura if I had occasion to return to St. Jose again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

It was a pleasure to read your positive comments about the hotel. SInce you enjoyed the food in our restaurants we would like to mention that we will soon open a Hard Rock Café which will provide more options for our guests. If you return to Costa Rica shall look forward to seing you again.

Warmest regards,
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Location is grab as it is near the airport as well as downtown for cultural sites and restaurants. If you have extra time bring your swimsuit as there are two large swimming pool areas for relaxation as well as exercise. Also, if you have extra time, take a taxi to one of the better restaurants downtown as the ones located within the hotel are not special. We are not gamblers, so wish the casino would be replaced with a nicer dining venue. The rooms are large and comfortable, and noise from the nearby airports is not a problem.

Room Tip: Try to arrange a room on the first floor as the hotel area is spread out and takes some time to walk...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

It is very pleasant to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Perhaps, you will be interested in hearing that we will endeed be adding a new dining venue to our hotel. We will soon open a Hard Rock Café which will provide another option for meals and entertaiment.

Lookig forward to another visit from you soon.

Regards,
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Not the first time I stay at this hotel, always very nice, this time we booked the junior suite, but we noticed some of the areas were not clean and call the front desk and Karla took care of everything to the point we decided to go back to the hotel for 2 more nights, she turn a bad situation into a great stay, my props to her and her manager that knew how to handle this and give us a memorable stay.
Once again, the next time a go to Costa I will stay at this hotel, I hope management and human resources will see the potential they have in Karla.

Room Tip: Choose the second floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is very nice to know that you truly enjoyed your visit to our hotel. Karla will be congratulated for the excelent service and assistance she provided. Although, this is not the first time that we have been made aware of her positive attitude and actions to ensure that our guests are completely content with everything about their stay.

On your next trip, we trust that we will see you again.

Regards,
Sarasota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

At first glance this hotel seems to have everything working well, nice well-maintained grounds, helpful staff, visually attractive appearance within, and more. On closer inspection, like an aging film star, the wrinkles begin to show up. The room smelled musty, the grout in the bathroom needed to be redone by a competent tile setter, and much more. We started our tour at this hotel for the first night and the last night. When I stated my observations on the shortcomings of the room on the first night the manager assured me that he would place me in a better room (I offered to cover the difference myself). I was astonished to return for the last night of the tour and we had basically the same room. Both myself and another friend who also traveled on the same tour with his wife, suffer from allergy problems that were greatly aggravated by the musty rooms. There was no hot water available at 8:30 am and the drain in the tub/shower was not functioning properly. The beauty of the breakfast area could not mask the fact that this was open to flies that were making themselves at home on the attractively displayed baked goods. THIS PLACE NEEDS SOME COMPETENT MANAGEMENT!

Room Tip: Check the room over thoroughly before unpacking anything and if you are on the first floor, ask to b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your note and your observations about the hotel. We apologies for any situations you faced and trust that the renovations and improvements that are underway will resolve most of the things you commented about. I have spoken to the manager with regard to the outdoor restaurant and we expect to find solutions there too. Should you return, we are sure that you will be pleased with the improvements.

Your sincerely,
Lancaster
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This hotel is convenient to the airport, and it is nice that they offer a free shuttle service. We were disappointed to miss the buffet because of how early we had to leave, but they offer the service of packing you a bag breakfast, so take advantage of that if you need to leave early. (But make sure you eat any fruit before arriving in the U.S. or the agriculture dog will come and sniff your bag!) And just fyi - when entering the San Jose airport to catch your return flight, head to your far right as soon as you go in the doors. You have to pay a tax and get a receipt before you can go through the line to check in.
This hotel has 5 jacuzzis all grouped together. The late afternoon was kind of cold for swimming in the non-heated pools (if you check in early before your room is ready, get your swim suits out of your suitcase and go swimming right away), but we were going to enjoy sitting in the hot tub. Ha. They have jacuzzis that bubble with cool water, but as a sign states nearby, they are trying to "Preserve Costa Rica's natural resources." It says if you want to use the jacuzzi, push a button. The button does nothing. We saw no one use the jacuzzis when we were there. I guess everyone prefers it hot.
The service in the restaurant by the pools was terrible. We went for supper and were there an entire hour before we were served our food. The same thing was happening to everyone around us. It was far from uplifting to look around and see everyone looking frustrated and checking their watches. Then, we waited about 20 minutes for our check, and we were done with the waiting. We went to the cashier and said we just wanted to tell her what we got and pay. She wanted us to have the bill. We thought that maybe now we would get some attention. No. Finally we just left and told the people at the neighboring table that if they were looking for us, we were going to the front desk to take care of things. At the front desk, they said we could have gone to the cashier. We said we had already tried that, and that they should take care of it from this point. When we went to check out, they had no record of our meal, but after we came home, a charge for $50 came through. Talk about disorganization. This was WAY beyond just having a "slower pace."
The gift shop had nice, affordable things to buy, and the workers there were very friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your visit and your comments about the jacuzzi and the restuarant. We sincerely apologize for the delays you encountered and the inconvinence.

We will definitely investigate the matter regarding the hot tub. Perhaps we need to add adittional information to our instructions so that the guests will know how long the water takes to warm up. With regard to the restaurant I will centainly inform the manager about the service you received and I am sure they will rectify any issues with the service.

For your future visit we would like to inform you that we will soon have a Hard Rock Café in our hotel which guests will centainly enjoy. Our operations manager has been informed about the delay in billing and he is going to streamline this process.

Whidbey Island, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had reserved this room about 6 months in advance when it was Ramada Plaza Herradura. My only issue is that we drove around San Jose Airport area for 2 hours trying to find it, not realizing that they had been purchased back in 2012 by Wyndham and had changed their name. It would have been helpful to get an email stating that the name had changed.

We even got a confirmation email from RAMADA the week before we arrived. It made for a very very stressful time driving in San Jose which in itself can be daunting.

Other than that the hotel was fantastic!! Great restaurants, fun casino, very nice quiet room with comfy beds and excellent staff!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
maximilianoruiz, Director Comercial at Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate very much your feedback and recommendations. We are going to take care of those details next time. However, we are glad that you had such good time with us. I would like to inform that our forth restuarant which is a Hard Rock Café will open its doors in May 2013. You will enjoy it on your next trip.

Best regards,

Been to Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!