Stayed only one night to fly out early the next morning... one night too many if you ask me! Upon arrival we were greeted nicely by the doorman, our room wasnt ready since we were slightly early, so we stored our bags with the front desk and hit the pool. The pool had a nice bar area and was very clean, but the noise was not ideal. It being so close to the airport you got a lot of that traffic noise. After settling in, we decided to head into the old city to check things out, the conceirge informed us it was SAFE to take the public bus down and back since it would be considerably less expensive then a taxi. We had no problems, and arrived back before sunset and decided to go to the Hardrock Cafe for dinner which happened to be a block and a half from the hotel. Ate dinner, which was greasy and not good at all unfortunately (but that's for another review), and decided to walk back to hotel. Just out of site from the Hardrock two men in hoodies approached us on the unlit sidewalk, put a gun in my face and demanded all of our money! We gave them what they wanted and we ran back to the Hardrock! The manager there was very attentive, called the local police and the hotel to send a shuttle for us. He informed us at this time that this has been happening a lot lately, and that the wait staff was frequently being robbed as they got off work! Would have been nice to know right? Once we got back to the hotel, we spoke breifly to the police who didnt seem remotely interested in speaking to us.Hotel management also spoke with us at this time to see if they could do anything. My boyfriend proceded to ask them if this sort of thing happened frequently, they were hesitant to reply honestly, and finally answered "yes, this is a bad part of of town". Again, would have been nice to know right? Dont tell your guests its safe to travel without an escort if its not! Be HONEST with your guests, we would have been ok if you told us "to be careful at night, definitely call a shuttle". But instead we got robbed, at gunpoint! Its scary to think what could have happened, and I hope this doesnt happen to anyone else! BE AWARE of your surroundings, and ask questions!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Warm, rustic and luxurious, the DoubleTree Cariari by Hilton brings modern day opulence to Costa Rica's capital city. A heavenly urban retreat with spacious guestrooms, a sparkling swimming pool and great service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hilton Hotels, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, BookIt.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Cariari By Hilton San Jose Hotel San Antonio De Belen
- Doubletree San Antonio De Belen
- San Jose Hilton
- DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose Costa Rica/San Antonio De Belen