“Be careful of theft” 1 of 5 stars

Rates from $79
Boston, Massachusetts
“Be careful of theft”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Have stayed at this property several times for business. I travel to Latin America very often and am always have a wonderful experience in Costa Rica and other countries.

This Doubletree is usually a good place to stay -- nice hotel; friendly staff; very lovely rooms. Last time I stayed, though, two items went "missing" from my room: a SIM card for my phone that I had taken out and left on the counter and an AMEX gift card for $50 that I left next to it. I told the front desk about this when I got in the evening, and they said I must have misplaced the items. I told them there was no way that I could have misplaced them -- I left them right on the counter in the morning before heading out! They told me I should search the room carefully. I did. Nothing turned up.

While in Costa Rica, I called AMEX to cancel the gift card. Luckily, nobody had used it yet. But when back in the States, I called my cell phone company and told them about my SIM card. They told me that someone had racked up 300 USD in calls in Costa Rica (at something like 1.99 USD / min) making local calls in San José. Obviously was not me. Luckily, my phone company waived those fees as part of its "fraud protection" program.

Hate to engage in the blame game, but I don't see who could have taken these things other than a hotel staff member. I left my SIM card and my card on my counter before leaving (am 100% sure), and made sure to lock my door on my way out. Both items were gone when I got back in the evening. Maybe I was careless for not locking them up?

Probably will not stay here again after this happened and will advise my company against this property. It is a lovely hotel, though. Just disappointed that the desk doubted my claims -- and that this even happened in the first place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Margie_Aristy, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
We sincerely apologize for your unfortunate experience at our property and appreciate your feedback. Our first priority is the wellbeing and safety of our guests, and we are very sorry that we could not meet those goals during your stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. Please contact us directly at (506) 2239-0022 x.3220 or jorge.gutierrez@hilton.com so we can speak in person with you about this experience. Jorge Gutierrez, General Manager.

628 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I enjoyed a 3 day stay here. Nice room with balcony, very clean. The beds were really comfortable and the working environment was good. Good local food with plenty of fresh fruit. As would be expected, the Costa Rican coffee was delicious.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Margie_Aristy, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to send us the great review. We hope to see you again soon at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose! Margie Aristy Almonte, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Miami, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I would not stay at any other hotel while in SAn Jose Costa Rica. The peorple are amazing - make you feel at home and better. They go above and beyond your expectation. Food is fantastic. Rooms are large and comfortable. "Ask and you shall receive" seriously- they have been extreemely accomodating.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. We hope to see you again soon. Safe travels. Margie Aristy Almonte, Director of Sales & Marketing
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed here for two nights on my way to the Mal Pais. What attracted me most was then name-brand hotel credentials and the amazing looking pool with swim-up bar.

The hotel is beautiful, with an open-air lobby and lounge, and is tastefully decorated with elements seemingly from CR. I believe there are two sets of rooms. The first room i stayed in (#2092) was spacious and comfortable - but a bit noisy since it faces the road. I was upgraded to a "newer" executive suite (#2000- it's stunning) after voicing my dissatisson faction that then pool was under renovation; a project posted on their web site after I booked my trip. If you stay here after the renovation (only lasting about 1 week), you will be impressed for sure. Try to get one of their "newer" rooms.

The spa is small, and you can easily hear the reception staff talking and watching TV - but it was definitely one of the best massages I've ever had. Ask for Geselda (sp). And, it's at a fantastic price (coming from a NY'er).

The gym is good, complete with dumbbells , machines, etc .
The key benefit to the hotel's location I proximity to airport, approximately 10 minutes travel time. Otherwise, not much else to do - great small pizza shop and grocery store within walking distance.
The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful, the food was pretty good but definitely over priced (get the beef carpaccio).

Room Tip: Ask for a "newer" room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for staying here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. We’re glad you had a taste of our warm, caring service (along with our delicious cookie at check in). We look forward to welcoming you back. Margie Aristy Almonte, Director of Sales & Marketing.
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The facility is very decent in general. The staff attitude however, falls below my expectation for a 5-STAR hotel. Sometimes I did not get a very welcoming response when I asked for direction or alternatives for local transportation. At checkout, they messed up on my bill, showing the same dates for all 9 different nights I stayed. When asked whether they call re-do the bill, I got a flat "NO IT CAN'T BE CHANGED" response! "GO TALK TO HILTON" is their suggestion! What a crap!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Margie_Aristy, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our DoubleTree by Hilton guests have a rewarding stay. We’ve addressed these issues with our staff and hope that next time you’re in San Jose, you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. Thank you again for your comments. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is a nice hotel, good food, great and friendly staff. Convenient location, good transportation for guests who are there on business. Rooms are a bit dated, but for overall value this is a good choice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Doubletree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. I’m happy to hear that our service and our great amenities made your stay more comfortable. Hope to see you again soon. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Canton Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Great staff, great breakfast and dinner food and atmosphere. The room is dated and the bathroom had mold on the wall. As a GOLD member, I didn't appreciate the view of the barbed wire around the building. It didn't make me feel safe.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us at Doubletree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with the cleanliness of your guest room. We try to be very vigilant in this area because we know how important it is for our guests. Based upon your review, we are actively working with our housekeeping staff so this situation doesn’t happen again. We hope that if your travels bring you back to San Jose, you’ll consider staying with us again. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose? Share your experiences!