“Nice, quiet resort with the friendliest staff.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Rate
$89 (USD)
Destin, Florida
“Nice, quiet resort with the friendliest staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Our first nights stay, in San Jose, was in the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose. It's close to the airport and easy to find. This is very important as Costa Rica hasn't yet discovered street signs! The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home and the food at the restaurant was very good. House keeping was very friendly and efficient. Each day they made a little animal out of a towel and displayed it on the dresser. Nice little touch.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Margie_Aristy, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at Doubletree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. I ’m happy to hear that our staff made your stay more comfortable. We look forward to seeing you the next time you travel to San Jose area. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

594 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
New Kensington, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I had to spend a total of 8 1/2 weeks in Costa Rica for work this year and chose the Cariari as it was close to our facility. This is a great property in the center of the country. It is close to the Airport but just outside of San Jose. The rooms are all nice, clean, and have the signature Hilton bed and amenities. There is a full service restaurant but the food does tend to be pricey. The pool and hot tub area is great. It is always clean and has a garden type of feel to it. What probably made this a great hotel was the people. While there are a number of people who were great to work with, 2 in particular stood out. Ramon in the Breakfast Service ALWAYS made you feel like you were a long lost friend. He helped with with my Spanish and made sure that I needed nothing. The other is Lucia, the Housekeeping Manager. She went out of her way on many occasions to make certain I felt welcome and that I had everything that I needed. She went well and above what I felt she needed to and truly became a friend in Costa Rica. The true ranking of a hotel is if I would stay there again, and the answer is absolutely.

Room Tip: If you like the sun, pool or hot tub, make certain to request a room near the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Ramon and Lucia were helpful! I’ll be sure to share your
comments with them. See you soon! Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The hotel is within ~10 minutes to the airport. This is an important detail if you are driving a rental car and don't know San Jose. The city of San Jose has NO street signs to help you get around - despite how good the maps are in telling you the supposed names of the streets throughout, so this hotel is a good option. The rooms are decent size, and the bed is average comfort for hotels in this category. The menu and food quality is ok. Breakfast is ridiculously expensive for the buffet so get a package which includes it if you can. If you are a vegetarian, you will get by for the various meals, but don't expect alot. They charge for WiFI in the room but you can use it in the lobby. They have a few computers available in the lobby for those who prefer to use theirs. They DO charge regardless for late checkout starting with the 1st hour after checkout time. They were going to charge me despite fact that the hotel was almost empty and I have Silver status with Hilton. I found this ridiculous considering we were one of very few people even in the hotel that night.There is a small garden across the street for those into birdwatching - I found Rufous-tailed hummingbirds, a Summer Tanager, a Rufous-naped wren, and a few other birds just in that little garden. Some of the staff are very helpful, some were indifferent so it's a mixed bag.

Room Tip: Get a room facing into the garden if you can.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your review of your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose and see that the breakfast cost was a concern. We work hard to personalize each guest's experience while we try to keep costs affordable. We appreciate your feedback and we’ll keep it in mind as we
work to make our services better.Thanks again for your review. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This hotel is absolutely fabulous! Beautiful open air feel. Service is first class. Room as clean or better than new and very spacious. Bed was heaven. Even won a few colones in the casino. I would love to spend a month there!

• Stayed October 2012
Margie_Aristy, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose! So glad you were able to experience our authentic hospitality. We look forward to seeing you soon. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed at 3 Hilton properties on our Costa Rican vacation and 1 Marriott and I am sorry to say that the San Jose Double Tree was our least favorite and most disappointing property. It started with a lack luster check in – no Diamond Member greeting like we had received at the other two Hilton properties and no room upgrade. I realize room upgrades are contingent on availability but it was made clear to us that we were not being upgraded because the management chose not to. Some properties will upgrade Gold/Diamond members to a suite or a much nicer room than what you had booked – even if according to the guidelines of upgrades they are only supposed to upgrade you to the next higher room level than what you booked. The Double Tree San Jose sticks to the letter of the law and thus you are just another number to them and your Hilton loyalty means nothing. I questioned whether we could be upgraded to a 1 King Bedroom suite but buyer beware – a king bedroom suite is no suite at all. The front desk agent showed me one of these rooms but the suite is a small foyer with a tiny couch and a then a regular room. It is very deceptive in the website photo which makes it look like there’s an entire living room with a couch. We could have “upgraded” to this type of room but it was actually no bigger than the 2 queen room we had. There were 2 rooms suites available during out stay but again, the management of this property sticks to the letter of the law and said we could not be upgraded. I guess I shouldn’t be upset that they adhered to this but it just makes you feel like a number and also – very few properties are like this. We stayed at the Hilton Papagayo and Hilton Garden Inn in Liberia, CR and they upgraded us without question and treated us wonderfully during our stays. We also stayed at the Residence Inn in Escazu during our trip and even though I am very low level Marriott Rewards member they upgraded us to a 2 room suite. I highly recommend staying at the Marriott Residence Inn instead of the Double Tree for this fact alone but also for other reasons I’ll spell out as I ramble on.

Our 2 queen room at the Double Tree was very clean but very basic. The pool was cold and lackluster. The manager’s reception on the weekend is in the open bar area and very nice with a big screen tv. During the week days it is in the very small breakfast area and not much to write about. The free Gold/Diamond breakfast is horrible! Choices were cold eggs or burnt bacon and some fruit. (BTW – the breakfast is great at the Residence Inn!) During breakfast the staff had a television show on – a morning talk show – and they were discussing prostitutes and they were showing unsuitable images for our 11 and 12 yr old daughters who were with us. We had to ask the staff member to change the channel – they were oblivious to it. The hotel really isn’t near much in terms of sights to see though it is fairly close to the airport (why we chose it) and you can pay your departure tax ahead of time which is nice to get out of the way and not have to do at the airport. You can walk up the street and over a bridge that goes over the highway to the Plaza Carirari mall. Great food court at the mall and the mall has most anything you’d need. One other thing to point out – there are no washing machines or dryers at the Double Tree and laundromats are few and far between in San Jose – or in all of Costa Rica for that matter. The Residence Inn has washers and dryers that are free for their guests. That’s right – free! The Double Tree is clean and close to the airport but if you are a Gold or Diamond Member and are used to be treated better than just another ol’ guest – and you’d actually like a decent breakfast – skip the Double Tree San Jose. I wish that we had –we would have saved a lot of points and been a lot less disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Margie_Aristy, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to my attention. A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests. Consequently, it is disappointing to learn that you are unsatisfied with the service we provided you. Please accept my sincerest apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously and I have addressed your comments to the appropriate managers so they can take the corrective actions to avoid these situation in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, it certainly gives us an opportunity to review our practices and continuously improve our services.

We will greatly appreciate if you would reconsider and give us another opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to Costa Rica. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I share the feelings of another contributor that this hotel is far from 5 star. We were looking forward to a nice comfortable stay in very expensive hotel. First impressions were good. The desk clerk was very nice and very fast. He handed us our "free" cookies and told us how to get to our room. He had told us that we were being given an upgrade which sounded great until we saw the room. It was quite small and the window looked out on a walkway. If you stood next to the window and looked up you could just see a patch of blue sky. Our first impression was the the room smelled musty (same as another comment we have just read). The fact is that it was very damp. I can't understand how that could happen unless it had not been used and air conditioned for a few weeks. The bed was comfortable but damp. The towels in the bathroom were adequate but only just. The bath was slippery with no mat. The water pressure was very low, but it was hot. We had planned to have dinner in the restaurant which was really good 4 years ago. But the restaurant was closed. We had experienced the coffee shop before and did not want a repeat of that so we had to go out of the hotel to find an outside restaurant for dinner. We thought about breakfast in the morning in the same coffee shop but our past experience of the poor food together with the price of $16 sent us to Burger King. This is not one of our usual restaurants but better than the Hilton. By the way we did think of coffee at the hotel but they wanted $5 for it. Can't imagine what they would ask for a cappuccino.

As I said, first impressions were good and we enjoyed the cookies. But next time we'll go back to our favorite hotel, the Barcelo Palacio. Another guest in this column said they looked at the Adventure Inn just down the road and chose the Hilton because it was more modern. then they went on to describe the poor quality of the Hilton. I can tell them that the Adventure in is as good as the Hilton and for a much lower price.

Room Tip: Maybe a suite if you can afford it. the rooms are like dungeons there agin the suite might be the sa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am concern about the inconveniences that you recently experienced at our hotel and I am writing to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to my attention.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we are doing right and provide us an insight into areas prone for improvements, therefore, I have addressed your comments to the appropriate managers so they can take the corrective actions to avoid these situation in the future.

I hope that despite of these inconveniences, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

this was our first night in costa rica, as we landed in san jose, before we started with my wife the travel across the country
I did not like the rooms (cold, old, no carpets). we did not like the food. the lounge is not what you expect. overall i do not recommend this hotel.
i do not recommend unless you have no choice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to sent us your comments about your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we are doing right and provide us an insight into areas prone for improvements.
I hope that despite your experience, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in your next visit to Costa Rica. Please do not hesitate to contact me should I be of any further assistance. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose? Share your experiences!