“Great property for the price and location” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cariari, San Antonio De Belen 40701, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Rates from $79
“Great property for the price and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Spacious rooms, great restaurant, amazing pool, mediocre casino and really helpful staff. Hotel is in an excellent location with airport a quick ride away (use their shuttle to save hassle and $).

Overall I would give this hotel an A-.

Room Tip: Rooms are all titled and not carpet, rooms could use some updating.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Margie_Aristy, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. Hope to see you return in the near future. Safe travels... Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

This property is lovely. Its open air design brings a modern and posh feel yet is also cozy. It's close to the airport but not at the airport. My cab fare was 12USD. The breakfast spread was delicious. The gym is well-equipped for both cardio and strength training workouts. My room was spacious though I had a jr suite. The bed was super comfortable. There wasn't a hair dryer in the room. I didn't ask for one either. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. Everyone spoke very good English. The ATM on property dispenses both dollars and colones. This hotel definitely meets the Hilton standard if you frequent the chain. I enjoyed my stay immensely.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind words. Your comments about your stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose made me smile. We know it’s the little things that make your stay more comfortable (along with our great location). Hope to see you again soon! Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago as a layover on the way down to the Osa Peninsula. This place has great customer service and good money exchange. We only spent one night here and had a drink at the poolside bar, but one could easily spend a few nights here relaxing if necessary. The property seems a bit dated, but its still really nice and the rooms are spacious. The lobby area is quite nice and the breakfast in the morning (was included when we booked) was decent, I wouldn't pay for it though if I had to do it separately from the room.

The transport (probably the most important aspect for us) was really easy to handle. We got picked up from the Juan Santamaria International Airport by one of their drivers with no problems - although there is some waiting at the airport for all the tourists to figure out which shuttle to board - and then we had a taxi van arranged for us the next morning to the Pavas Airport where Nature Air flies out. Our flight departed at around 11AM and the front desk strongly recommended that we leave 3 hours early. I can understand her reservation in order to avoid missing a flight, but 3 hours is a bit ridiculous, the Pavas Airport is tiny and there is nothing to do there, even with a potential hour delay in traffic - because you do end up on some small residential streets, the entire car ride was only 15-20 mins.

Other than that, its a decent place for a layover and I would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Try to get an upstairs room, the downstairs rooms makes you kinda feel like you're in a bunker
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose! I’m so glad you were able to experience our warm hospitality and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

If you are using San Jose as a jump off point to travel to other parts of the country, the Hilton is an easy, safe choice. It is close to the airport (they have a shuttle where you only pay one fee per room which is really convenient to and from the airport) and they have pretty good food at the main restaurant. Also, if you are worried about safety, the hotel seemed very secure. The place could use some updating but it allows for a hassle free stay and you can find some decent prices online.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Margie_Aristy, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
I am very happy to read the comments about your recent stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose and glad that you found the location and amenities of our hotel to your satisfaction. Hope to see you return soon....safe travels. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I first stayed at the Cariari about 12 years ago when it was part of the Melia chain, and most recently stayed there last week. It is close to the Juan Santamaria airport and very easy to get to. I had a conference to attend at the nearby Marriott Hotel, but there were no rooms available there so I thought I'd give the Cariari a try again. The physical layout of the hotel hasn't changed, but the rooms and the lobby are much improved over what they were some years ago. My room on the first floor was quiet and featured a king size bed and a separate room with a desk. There were ample windows in the large room and the room and furniture were in good condition and comfortable.

The lobby has a new (to me) coffee shop that was open early in the morning and had Danish, muffins, etc as well as designer coffees on offer. The loud and sometimes obnoxious parrots or cockatiels they used to have in the lobby are gone.

They are charging for wifi access.

The restaurant is still located by the swimming pool, and it still has the low ceiling that gives a feeling of being underground. The breakfast buffet was adequate, although for about $22 one might expect a better spread. I have also recently stayed at the nearby Marriott and although the Marriott buffet is slightly more expensive, it is a nicer buffet with more fresh fruit and a much nicer atmosphere. Where the Cariari excels, however, is on the quality of the work-out facilities (especially the Olympic sized swimming pool) and the adjacent tennis and golf facilities. The Marriott has a driving range and attached tennis club, but the work out center is inconvenient and the Marriott pool is strictly for sitting next to, as opposed to actually swimming laps in. Overall, for future trips to Costa Rica, I will include the Cariari again on my list of hotels to consider. The Marriott often hosts large conferences, is occasionally full, and as a result, often charges high to very high rates for their rooms. The Cariari is a short five minute drive away, and while very nice, likely will be more affordable than the Marriott.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the parking lot and had some street noise, especially in the morning. I suspect...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found our general renovations to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose in the not too distant future. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Arcadia, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed here two nights in June. Overall, not an uncomfortable place to stay but has some issues:

1) This hotel charges you for room to room calls. We were traveling with another couple staying in the next room and we were charged when we called next door. Two bucks per call+20% tax. Seems like a petty issue rating when a hotel, but this bothered me. Seemed mercenary.
2) The front desk staff really had problems getting our bill right. Had to debate this with them for twenty minutes before they corrected it. The staff was professional but cognitively quite slow.
3) Rooms are good but not excellent in terms of comfort. Lighting in the bathroom is dim. Plumbing is not very good--freezing or scalding. Hard mattresses. They are fairly large rooms however.
4) The restaurant is very expensive for mediocre food. The staff there is polite but inexperienced and slow. Even if you speak to them in fluent Spanish, they are slow and botch your orders. For what it is, should cost about half of what they charge. Yes and add that 20% tax.

I will say however, that in a relative sense, this hotel is probably the best you will do in San Jose in terms of comfort, value, location, etc.

I guess my point is that this place really was not good value. It is part of a larger phenomenon-- Costa Rica is an expensive country to visit. They have a 20% tax on everything (including the room to room calls above). Moreover, fleecing tourists is really institutionalized there; note that they charge you a $28 per person disembarkation fee to leave the country at the airport.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
I am concern about the inconveniences that you recently experienced at our hotel and I am writing to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to my attention. Please accept my sincerest apology.
I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we are doing right and provide us an insight into areas prone for improvements, therefore, I have addressed your comments to the appropriate managers so they can take the corrective actions to avoid these situation in the future.
I hope that despite the inconveniences that your experience, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in your next visit to Costa Rica. Please do not hesitate to contact me should I be of any further assistance. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Had to travel to Costa Rica for work and needed to stay in the city area. This hotel was like a hidden resort. You would never know you were staying in the city. The hotels workers were so nice. From the time I called to make the reservation to check-out everyone was very kind. The pool looked very nice but it was a little cool and rainey for me to use. Place to eat were good also. Average hotel prices. Casino kinda lame but there if you want to play. Shuttle from airport is $8.00. We ended renting a car after our first night and parking was free. Airport departure tax can be paid at hotel which is nice since it will save you about 45 minutes at airport. Rooms were very clean and the basic Latin style room. Rooms are not like the U.S. . Internet connection was only ok. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. We look forward to serving your travel needs at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose in your next business trip. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose? Share your experiences!