“Resort or Business You Can't Go Wrong” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Rate
Rates from $89
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Resort or Business You Can't Go Wrong”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed here twice at the end of July and in early August. We were on a vacation, but this hotel would work just as well for a business trip.

The rooms are clean, well maintained, and have all the amenities you would expect. The staff is friendly and quick if you need something. The high point may be the restaurant. It really is very, very good.

The location is easy to get to, right off the TransAmerica highway, but it's far enough back that things like traffic noise aren't an issue. There is also a mall and some smaller shops near by if you need to pick up a few things.

Room Tip: Ask for the executive floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Margie_Aristy, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose! So glad you were able to experience our authentic hospitality. We look forward to seeing you soon. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Redwood City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

I say at the hotel 2-3 times per year when I go to San Jose for business. It is very close to the airport so it is very convenient when you try to leave the country. The traffic in San Jose an be hectic and staying kn Cariari will save you a lot of time. Breakfast is really good and you have a small shopping mall next to the hotel with restaurant and supermarket

• Stayed August 2012
Margie_Aristy, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found our great location and delicious breakfast to your liking. Thank you for your business, and I hope to see you again soon at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed for a week during April. The front desk was very friendly and accommodating, in my opinion they were some of the best front desk staff I have met. The bar was a lot of fun especially on nights when they have live music playing. Our bartender introduced us to the Guaro Sour and it has become one of my all time favorite drinks, unfortunatelly they don't sell Guaro in Los Angeles. We only had two issues when staying at the hotel the restaurant staff was really slow and we would have to have to wave them down in order for them to come to our table. Also, one day the cleaning lady was cleaning our room so we decided to just wait out by the pool. When we got back to our room we noticed that she left it open. Thankfully our money and other valuables were in the safe.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the Front Desk Staff was so attentive to your needs. I will be sure to share your comments with them. I hope you will return should your travels bring you back this way. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed here for a week long training and the hotel struck a good balance for us. Conference room facilities were average, but felt more depressing given the nice pool and atmosphere just outside. The casino and open air walkways to rooms also contributed to the resort feel. Breakfast was buffet style and included typical Costa Rican breakfast dishes as well as other options. Wait staff were very friendly. Bathroom fixtures are a bit outdated but overall my room was large, clean and cool. The FreshMarket grocery store a block away accepts US dollars (20s or smaller) and has an ATM that will give currency in either dollars or colones. Go there rather than using the hotel which had a higher-than-average exchange rate. You can also pay your departure tax at the hotel (for an extra fee) although the system was down when I tried.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us. We look forward to serving your travel needs at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. Should your travels bring you back this way, I hope that you will stay with us again. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
orange county, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel is near the airport and just outside San Jose. There is a market and restaurants a block away. The rooms and facilities are clean and look better than the pictures on their web site. I had trouble with the front desk on both my stays over price. The first time, the manager felt my discount was too great and kept trying to up sell us. When we wouldn't add any services, he put us in a room with a view of the recycle area. We only sleep in the room so it was no big deal. The second time was at check out when they tried to charge me rack rate and I had to pull out my reservation with pricing to get the correct rate. In general the staff was great other than the front desk. They even let me pick one of their cocoa pods so the kids could try the fruit. It was also a bit disappointing that they don't have a free shuttle service or free in room internet, but it is free in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. Your feedback about our services and facilities is very important to us, as your comments are valuable and instructive tools in assisting us as we strive for excellence. I have addressed your comments to the appropriate managers so they can take the corrective actions to avoid these situation in the future.

I hope that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay in Costa Rica and would give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We had stayed at this property about 5 yrs ago when it was run by Melia, and remembered it fondly, so we booked it for one night in the middle of our two weeks travel. The property (common areas) has been well maintained and has a nice resort feel to it. The open air lobby is very nice to sit and check your emails (free WIFI in the lobby). Our room seems to be recently renovated and is big and comfortable enough. However, the air con was either high or nothing, and the shower (no tub) was disappointingly weak. There was only about an inch of higher tiling on the shower floor border which prevents water from flowing to the rest of the bathroom, which it almost did. We were "roughing it" for about 5 days and were looking forward to some "creature comfort" before we head into another week of eco tourism in more remote areas. There were no hooks or bars in the bathroom where you could hang your towels or anything to dry. We were staying only one night so didn't bother asking to see other rooms. But last time we had a room which surrounds the pool area and that was better. The pool was a bit cold and everyone was staying in the jacuzzi. The location was convenient for walking as we returned our rental car. There are nearby upscale restaurants and a shopping mall (with cheaper dining options) you can walk to via an overpass across the highway. We were being picked up by a tour the next morning at 5:45 am so didn't get to try their breakfast, but they had coffee and banana bread etc in the lobby so that was nice (as were the warm cookies upon check in). The front desk staff in general were polite enough but not that friendly or helpful when we asked them for assistance on other matters. I guess I'm only giving this property 3 stars because I expected more from a Hilton in terms of service and in-room amenities...

Room Tip: Ask for a room which overlooks or has a "back door" which opens to the pool area, if you p...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Cariari San Jose. Your opinion is very important to us, in order to improve our services.

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconveniences that you encountered with air conditioner. I assure you that we are taking action to avoid these situations in the future.

Regarding to your inconveniences experienced with the bathroom, please accept my apologies since at the moment of your arrival we were in a high occupation week and because of this you were assigned to the next available room and it was a handicap room, and that explains all the different standards in the bathroom. I am addressing your comments to our Front Desk Manager so she can take the necessary measures to prevent this type of situations in the future.

I hope that despite of the inconveniences, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again during your next visit to Costa Rica. Please do not hesitate to contact me should I be of any further assistance at margie.aristy@hilton.com. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I was in San Jose for dental work and stayed here and used some points as well. Its a very nice place, great rooms and balconies and nice pool area. Very helpful and friendly staff. I did not have a car but there are a number of decent restaurants right outside the hotel and its in a upscale area of San Jose so safe to walk. It is close to the airport but $15 cab ride to downtown.

The bar are was lively and had a tropical feel to it. Unfortunately the drinks - and food- are expensive there, like downtown Chicago or New York prices. I expect because its frequented mostly by business travelers it appeared. They did give me some free appetizers while i was sitting at the bar though.

There were some families there and i think it would be enjoyable with the pool area, but there were not activities out there.

Room Tip: All rooms facing the pool are nice and the ones along the back facing outside the hotel overlook the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
DTCariari, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thanks for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. I was a delighted that you see us a a very nice hotel. Regarding your comment about the selection and prices at the bar, I must inform you that we conduct periodic price inquiries in restaurants of a similar category to ours, however, I do appreciate your comment and would take it into consideration.

I hope that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay in Costa Rica and would give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future. Margie Aristy, Director of Sales & Marketing.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose? Share your experiences!