“They Became Family!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Apart-Hotel Roma

Apart-Hotel Roma
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Heredia
Apart-Hotel Roma
Jardines de Roma, Heredia, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 9 hotels in Heredia
Isla Bastimentos, Panama
“They Became Family!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed at Roma several times during my dental work phase. The staff are lovely. As I was on my own, they took special care to make me feel safe and comfortable. I am a clean freak, and each and every time the rooms were clean as a whistle. The staff knew my name and when I would return they made me feel so welcome. I love eating in, and the kitchens had everything you need. If you are downtown and alone, this is a perfect place to put your head on a pillow. Gracias Amigos!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Besides my wonderful moments with my daughter and mother, I loved the fact that it was very close to everything yet far enough to be very calm, quiet and relaxing in the evenings. Truly a great apart-hotel to stay at. I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Perhaps the staff just took a liking to us, but I have never had such nice treatment at a hotel before. First we were given the nicest, most spacious apartment for the normal price (the view of the mountains around San Jose was lovely), perhaps because the rest of the units were booked. Then we were offered another upgrade to the villas, again for the same price.

About the apartment: spacious, great view, full bar and kitchenette offered a tremendous value (even at the room's full price). The beds and bedding were not necessarily Hilton quality, but everything was clean and any issue was quickly addressed by wonderfully helpful staff.

About the villa: probably the closest I'll get to living in an immaculate gated community. Beautiful, manicured units with nice decks, vaulted ceilings and luxurious bedrooms. Perfect for those on business or with families.

Room Tip: Avoid the street level apartments if possible--they get a bit noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Playa Avellanas, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Safe place easy to walk to stores an buses well taken care of but there where issues that never got fixed like a upstairs bathroom pluming leak and no septic pluming for venting the toilet which you get the smell inside .
I am in the rental business and I feel charging for extra people that my stay a night or two in not good for return business .my daughter was there having her baby and the stress of having your worker watching every thing was a little uncomfortable .also every morning your worker started sweeping right under the main bedroom window which was very disturbing when he could of started at other parts of the development where no one was occupying ..when I rent a house for the month the occupant have it for the month with no spying needed .Other than that your place would be a fine place to refer .hope the owner will make exception for different situation in the future. cindy

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Northampton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Comfortable, breezy and off the beaten path, we really enjoyed this place & found it to be a great bargain - 25$ a night for 2 bedrooms, a living room, and a (very basic) kitchen area. Because it is at the top of a steep hill the views were beautiful. The beds were comfortable & the living room was a light and pleasant hang-out area. The kitchen was pretty thinly stocked, but worked for us as we used it primarily for storing & reheating food which was already prepared. The management was friendly and helpful. It's a 10 minute walk to the University & Heredia center, but the hill is quite steep and might be difficult for some. Taxi's are plentiful and cheap however. We would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: We had the top floor suite - the best one there I believe.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
La Fortuna, Alajuela, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Hotel Roma will nickle and dime you for every cost, penny or item they can. It is noisy, the beds are terrible and Hotel Roma pre charges you, holds on to that money until it falls off and expect you to pay cash haggling you to get to the ATM in the city.

I have stayed in MANY places in Costa Rica. Heredia is good if you have a purpose to stay here. Otherwise, just stay in Alajuela and book your tours from there. I only stay in Heredia because I have a Medical Team I'm apart of and Hotel Roma serves you well for that.

Just know that every every every opportunity they can take money from you to charge you more they absolutely absolutely will. It's loud, it's dark, it's dirty, the balcony had bars on it. Skip this place if you can and find somewhere else to stay unless you have a good reason to do so.

Room Tip: Tell them before hand to book you a room away from the street. If not you'll never sleep
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Nampa, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I recently wrote a review of a hotel with the same score. It got a middle score because there was little very good about it but also nothing very bad. This hotel gets the same score for the opposite reasons. If you are looking to experience Costa Rica, as you might live there like a local, then I suspect you will love this hotel. If you want an international standard hotel even on a budget then I suspect you will hate it.
Whats very good? We had an apartment with two good sized bedrooms and a specious living room with a delightful rooftop walled garden. We picked lemons and limes straight from the trees to add to our meal as prepared food in the kitchen. Super fast high speed internet was standard and included. How is that for under $100 a day? On the other hand........ We had an agreed rate by internet before we got to Costa Rica, we had to haggle on check in to get close to, but more than that. The old fashioned cathode ray tv worked apart from the red tube, so everything had a green cast. The promised washing machine also worked apart from the spin drier which did not, (We dried our clothes on the washing line in our walled garden). The high speed internet was all very well but without a ground my PC worked poorly and I fear it fried my daughters "kindle fire". The rings on the ancient kitchen range worked, but the oven didn't. My bedside light sparked, so I unplugged it. Of course there is no hot water, the "suicide showers" with an electrically powered head actually worked fine. That is when we got the hang of them. You can have a warm gentle shower or blow your socks off with a cold shower that throws you against the wall. Again the dangling earth wire outside, of the insulating taped electrical connection did not inspire confidence. Needless to say there was no air conditioning but with the provided room fan we did not miss it. Ok one last downer, in theory its a short walk to downtown Heredia. In practice its a VERY steep hill, on sidewalks designed to cripple, I know I fell and twisted my angle and got gravel burns on my knee, (take a taxi!).
Now again the good side, there is a convenience store and a butcher right across the road and that walk is safe. Despite the off-putting hotel information and check in, the staff could not be more helpful. Andrew the night porter got us a taxi, even when Mexico was playing Costa Rica! The maid was charming and so nice to our girls. Even the off-putting owner turned kind once we agreed on the price. So did I put you off with the negatives? Like I say depends what you want.
We filed for residency this trip and believe me we will be haggling with the owner for a long term rate when we come back while we look for property. To sum up I loved this place, but your Mileage may differ:-)
Come here and take things as they are and you will have a great stay, find things to be upset over and you may have a terrible time. Pura Vida

Room Tip: We had a suite, left of the hotel check in, and upstairs with the roof top garden. BTW We were 60...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Apart-Hotel Roma? Share your experiences!