“Felt like to many spy's watching” 3 of 5 stars

Apart-Hotel Roma
Jardines de Roma, Heredia, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 9 hotels in Heredia
Playa Avellanas, Costa Rica
“Felt like to many spy's watching”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Safe place easy to walk to stores an buses well taken care of but there where issues that never got fixed like a upstairs bathroom pluming leak and no septic pluming for venting the toilet which you get the smell inside .
I am in the rental business and I feel charging for extra people that my stay a night or two in not good for return business .my daughter was there having her baby and the stress of having your worker watching every thing was a little uncomfortable .also every morning your worker started sweeping right under the main bedroom window which was very disturbing when he could of started at other parts of the development where no one was occupying ..when I rent a house for the month the occupant have it for the month with no spying needed .Other than that your place would be a fine place to refer .hope the owner will make exception for different situation in the future. cindy

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Northampton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Comfortable, breezy and off the beaten path, we really enjoyed this place & found it to be a great bargain - 25$ a night for 2 bedrooms, a living room, and a (very basic) kitchen area. Because it is at the top of a steep hill the views were beautiful. The beds were comfortable & the living room was a light and pleasant hang-out area. The kitchen was pretty thinly stocked, but worked for us as we used it primarily for storing & reheating food which was already prepared. The management was friendly and helpful. It's a 10 minute walk to the University & Heredia center, but the hill is quite steep and might be difficult for some. Taxi's are plentiful and cheap however. We would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: We had the top floor suite - the best one there I believe.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
La Fortuna, Alajuela, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Hotel Roma will nickle and dime you for every cost, penny or item they can. It is noisy, the beds are terrible and Hotel Roma pre charges you, holds on to that money until it falls off and expect you to pay cash haggling you to get to the ATM in the city.

I have stayed in MANY places in Costa Rica. Heredia is good if you have a purpose to stay here. Otherwise, just stay in Alajuela and book your tours from there. I only stay in Heredia because I have a Medical Team I'm apart of and Hotel Roma serves you well for that.

Just know that every every every opportunity they can take money from you to charge you more they absolutely absolutely will. It's loud, it's dark, it's dirty, the balcony had bars on it. Skip this place if you can and find somewhere else to stay unless you have a good reason to do so.

Room Tip: Tell them before hand to book you a room away from the street. If not you'll never sleep
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Nampa, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I recently wrote a review of a hotel with the same score. It got a middle score because there was little very good about it but also nothing very bad. This hotel gets the same score for the opposite reasons. If you are looking to experience Costa Rica, as you might live there like a local, then I suspect you will love this hotel. If you want an international standard hotel even on a budget then I suspect you will hate it.
Whats very good? We had an apartment with two good sized bedrooms and a specious living room with a delightful rooftop walled garden. We picked lemons and limes straight from the trees to add to our meal as prepared food in the kitchen. Super fast high speed internet was standard and included. How is that for under $100 a day? On the other hand........ We had an agreed rate by internet before we got to Costa Rica, we had to haggle on check in to get close to, but more than that. The old fashioned cathode ray tv worked apart from the red tube, so everything had a green cast. The promised washing machine also worked apart from the spin drier which did not, (We dried our clothes on the washing line in our walled garden). The high speed internet was all very well but without a ground my PC worked poorly and I fear it fried my daughters "kindle fire". The rings on the ancient kitchen range worked, but the oven didn't. My bedside light sparked, so I unplugged it. Of course there is no hot water, the "suicide showers" with an electrically powered head actually worked fine. That is when we got the hang of them. You can have a warm gentle shower or blow your socks off with a cold shower that throws you against the wall. Again the dangling earth wire outside, of the insulating taped electrical connection did not inspire confidence. Needless to say there was no air conditioning but with the provided room fan we did not miss it. Ok one last downer, in theory its a short walk to downtown Heredia. In practice its a VERY steep hill, on sidewalks designed to cripple, I know I fell and twisted my angle and got gravel burns on my knee, (take a taxi!).
Now again the good side, there is a convenience store and a butcher right across the road and that walk is safe. Despite the off-putting hotel information and check in, the staff could not be more helpful. Andrew the night porter got us a taxi, even when Mexico was playing Costa Rica! The maid was charming and so nice to our girls. Even the off-putting owner turned kind once we agreed on the price. So did I put you off with the negatives? Like I say depends what you want.
We filed for residency this trip and believe me we will be haggling with the owner for a long term rate when we come back while we look for property. To sum up I loved this place, but your Mileage may differ:-)
Come here and take things as they are and you will have a great stay, find things to be upset over and you may have a terrible time. Pura Vida

Room Tip: We had a suite, left of the hotel check in, and upstairs with the roof top garden. BTW We were 60...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Montclair, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I arrived late from the airport and made the mistake of not looking at the room before I paid. The security guard placed me in a dank room that was emitting the smell of sewage from the drains & would not move me to another room, saying that I'd have to talk to the owner in the morning. Even though the hotel was less than half-full the owner strongly resisted giving me another room. I was about to leave & forego my money when I was given a nicer room without the odors. Good points are for a budget place: Location is decent, rooms are large, furniture & fixtures are ok. Bad points: unprofessional management, uncomfortable feeling, dishonest management. To see 4-5 star ratings is shocking until I think back to the owner.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
San Pablo de Heredia, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

This property is very beautiful, well-maintained and in a quiet location. The problem is the units are very poorly and minimally furnished so management promises to provide these things. They don't provide anything and keep all your receipts to verify what you are being charged or you will find your bill hugely inflated when you leave. A maid broke a glass and I was billed for an amount that could replace 6 glasses even though the maid broke it. I added a pot and several bowls because so few were provided and the maid would not wash them... washing the 3 provided and leaving mine dirty. The mind set of the management is to build up things they can charge for and then surprise you with them when you leave. I stayed for a month and two days so the rate reverted to the almost double single rate the last 2 days... fair? maybe with a large stretch of inventive imagination... good business NO! You constantly have to watch your back and just cannot relax and enjoy yourself here. one month 1,200 or $40 per day so bill should have been 1,280 instead it was 1200 + 150 (daily rate) per day or a total of $1,500 even though I made arrangements for the lesser price with someone at reception "who did not have the authority to make this decision" Here the customer is always wrong so BEWARE!

Room Tip: try another hotel
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

I stayed at Aparthotel Roma with my family for 4 weeks in spring 2011. This place is a DIVE! The room was cockroach infested. The traffic outside the paper thin walls made it almost impossible to sleep. Buses go by from about 6:00AM to 11:00PM every 5 minutes and they sound like they are inside the apartment. The so-called maid service is an absolute joke. I had to clean the fridge, remove garbage from the previous occupant and clean the shower before we would use it. The room was filthy. The room was also in poor repair and the kitchen equipment, dishes, utensils, etc. were extremely old, dirty, cheap junk. I even took photos and video to prove the above.

And the manager could care less. We were forced to pre-pay our entire visit when we arrived and when we wanted to leave early we were told there would be no refund and our credit card would be billed an early departure fee. So, we left a few things there and traveled for 2 weeks only returning to gather our things the night before our flight home. I even captured a few cockroaches to show the manager / owner but she did not care. I stayed at a lot of hotels in Costa Rica over those final 2 weeks and nothing was even remotely as bad as Aparthotel Roma. Do not write this review off as being about generally lower standards in Costa Rica. This place is a dive.

I really don't like writing a review like this. I waited for several months before I wrote this to ensure I was fair. My family had an absolutely terrible experience here. It was the nightmare you hear about when foreigners book a room sight unseen. And, other than the awesome market downtown, there really isn't anything to do in Heredia... The beaches on both coasts and the cloud forest (Monteverde) all have a lot more to offer.

Room Tip: There are no nice rooms.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Apart-Hotel Roma? Share your experiences!