“What a nightmare!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Debbie King's Country Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Heredia
Debbie King's Country Inn
Concepcion de San Rafael | 500 meters sour *sur of Pulperia store, Heredia, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #8 of 9 Heredia B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“What a nightmare!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We had read favorable reviews of Debbie's Inn, and made a reservation with her for the first night of our trip to Costa Rica. We arrived without trouble, but upon meeting Debbie, we were greeted with nothing but negativity toward any plans we had to travel anywhere else in Costa Rica. She told us how Arenal was so far way--at least 6 hours (only 2.5 when we actually made the trip)--and it would be best just to stay in the Central Valley (and pay her to arrange trips for us, of course!) Anything we mentioned--Monteverde, Guanacaste, even Manuel Antonio--she highly recommended against. Thank God we didn't listen and got out of there the next day to enjoy a fantastic traveling around Costa Rica.

Debbie would not help us, and would not allow us to use her phone because it was too costly to her. We had to go out to the town of San Rafael, make our own connections and arrangements in an internet cafe. She could not have been less accommodating. When we told her of our plans, she told us we should not have talked to Costa Ricans, because you absolutely cannot trust them (yet she has lived in this country surrounded by people she cannot trust for over 20 years).

Furthermore, Debbie's Inn is quite a ways off the road, which required us to trek about 100 meters through the mud since she doesn't have any kind of drive with our luggage and all (couldn't she have been a bit hospitable and offered to drive us to the gate in her RAV4?) The shower did not warm up at all--ice cold--even though I waited for a good while. The inn is dusty and dirty, and after I left, I noticed my clothes were full of pet hair. We did not have the pleasure of eating there because since we were leaving so early (7 AM) the next day, she said she wouldn't be cooking because breakfast was at 8:30. I asked for a banana or something, but she told me they were out of season--even though everywhere else we went we found plenty of bananas. She told us we were on our own.

I highly recommend you look elsewhere for accommodations in the Central Valley. Debbie charged us $135 + we paid our own taxt to her place (around $25) for one miserable night at her inn. The woman is crazy and you will not have a pleasant experience. Take this advice from someone who has traveled frequently in Latin American, and my husband, who grew up in South America--there are much more peaceful, pleasant (not to mention clean and accommodating) places to stay!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

We had no problems. She upgraded us to a suite for free. We had no dog or cat problems. The food was ok she took us to the Volcano, picked us up from the airport, dropped us off,. no problem. Our suite had a sitting area that had a great view of San Jose at night. I have zero complaints.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
shreveport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

Excellent location. Close to all, yet quiet. Perfect setting for a good taste of Costa Rica.
Beautiful views, extremley comfortable climate, great place to kick back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I had a fabulous time after coming back for a second time .... place was comfy and Debbie couldn't do enough for us. Thanks Debbie see you next year. xx

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

We have just gotten back from a 3 Night stay at Debbies B&B , very tranquil and quiet. There are 7 dogs and 2 cats. The rooms are clean and there is hot water . Dogs did not bark all night. It is located about 25 minutes from the airport and about 25 mins from San Jose at an altitude of about 4000 ft. the weather is perfect even in the rainy season .
Debbie can be a wealth of information.The inn is located on a 3 private acres I definitely would stay there again. This is not the place for people who stay in box hotels with no flavor or character.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

My wife and I always stay with Debbie while on a trip to Costa Rica. We usually stay in other areas of CR also on a trip. We actually resided with Debbie at her Finca for three months a decade ago. Anytime you spend a long time with anyone, their are differences of opinion, but Debbie was always fair. She'd like you to take her advise as she's been a local in CR so long, but she does not make you feel uncomfortable if you choose another route than that she suggests. She is a great person, with lots of great stories. Yes, I was stung by scorpions at Debbie's place over a three month period, but there was so much good there I didn't care. That so called, "psychologist or psychiatrist" is a wimp. All you have to do is take precaucions and you can avoid these little pests. Remember, we are living in THEIR territory. I walk everyday in the mountains of Sonoma, and know if I encounter a mountain lion or rattlesnake, it's THEIR land, and I am there knowing the risks.
Debbie King's Country Inn is a special place NOT to be missed if you plan a trip to the beautiful Country of Costa Rica!!
Scott

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
arilikeairy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

I wouldn't recommend staying here to anyone! I say the following only because I don't want anyone to have to go through what I went through.

The place was dirty, there were scorpions in our apartment, the cat we lived with had bugs on her, the dogs barked all night, the metal roof was very loud in the wind. The host was deceivingly nice at the beginning, but lied to us about how close it was to other locations - which was important in our choice to stay there.

There are much nicer, safer, cleaner, and cheaper places, look at other reviews online before living here.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Been to Debbie King's Country Inn? Share your experiences!