“A lovely spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Debbie King's Country Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Heredia
Debbie King's Country Inn
You added Debbie King's Country Inn to your Saves list
Concepcion de San Rafael | 500 meters sour *sur of Pulperia store, Heredia, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #8 of 9 Heredia B&B and Inns
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
“A lovely spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

We have just gotten back from a 3 Night stay at Debbies B&B , very tranquil and quiet. There are 7 dogs and 2 cats. The rooms are clean and there is hot water . Dogs did not bark all night. It is located about 25 minutes from the airport and about 25 mins from San Jose at an altitude of about 4000 ft. the weather is perfect even in the rainy season .
Debbie can be a wealth of information.The inn is located on a 3 private acres I definitely would stay there again. This is not the place for people who stay in box hotels with no flavor or character.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

My wife and I always stay with Debbie while on a trip to Costa Rica. We usually stay in other areas of CR also on a trip. We actually resided with Debbie at her Finca for three months a decade ago. Anytime you spend a long time with anyone, their are differences of opinion, but Debbie was always fair. She'd like you to take her advise as she's been a local in CR so long, but she does not make you feel uncomfortable if you choose another route than that she suggests. She is a great person, with lots of great stories. Yes, I was stung by scorpions at Debbie's place over a three month period, but there was so much good there I didn't care. That so called, "psychologist or psychiatrist" is a wimp. All you have to do is take precaucions and you can avoid these little pests. Remember, we are living in THEIR territory. I walk everyday in the mountains of Sonoma, and know if I encounter a mountain lion or rattlesnake, it's THEIR land, and I am there knowing the risks.
Debbie King's Country Inn is a special place NOT to be missed if you plan a trip to the beautiful Country of Costa Rica!!
Scott

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
arilikeairy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

I wouldn't recommend staying here to anyone! I say the following only because I don't want anyone to have to go through what I went through.

The place was dirty, there were scorpions in our apartment, the cat we lived with had bugs on her, the dogs barked all night, the metal roof was very loud in the wind. The host was deceivingly nice at the beginning, but lied to us about how close it was to other locations - which was important in our choice to stay there.

There are much nicer, safer, cleaner, and cheaper places, look at other reviews online before living here.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
thecrooks
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

We read an amazing review of Debbie King's in a travel book (Open Roads) and so we booked 2 nights at the beginning of our honeymoon and 1 at the end.

We arrived after taking a red eye, and Debbie picked us up at the airport (she gave us the wrong directions to get out of the airport). She spent the whole ride back to her place (at least 30 mins from the airport) telling us that we have made a terrible decision booking trips to Arenal, Monteverde, and Tamarindo (all of which were better than Debbie's).

The room was average, but she has "suicide" showers, which means no running hot water. Debbie was trying to be helpful, but we were trying to spend some time alone together as it was the beginning of our hotel.

The town is not that close, and getting a cab is very difficult in the rain (it was raining all the time).

I can sum up this review by saying that we booked a different hotel on our return trip to San Jose, even though we had already payed debbie.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

Debbie King is a kind guide and host. She met us at the airport and whisked all of us through the hills of Central Costa Rica. Her Country Inn is tended with care from the interesting local flora to the decorations on the walls. She made us a vegetarian dinner according to our specifications. and delicious breakfast (pinto y gallo and more). Debbie drove us to local sites and gave us many tips about what to see and what to skip. If you want to stay in a big hotel, don't come here: This is a place to taste the local flavors.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — ants
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Greenville, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

After some stress in trying to follow directions, after dark, and communicating with our cab drive, we finally arrived to a warm welcome from Debbie and she whipped up a late evening snack. Accomodations worked and we felt the rate was sufficient for a night's stay, breakfast, and a ride to the airport the next morning. We believe it to be a great option for staying outside of the city, away from downtown and the aiport, where crime seems to be more prominent, and we felt very safe staying there. Debbie certainly has some great stories to tell and is very friendly. Beautiful view of the valley and San Jose!

• Liked — safety, quiet
  • Disliked — small bed
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

We've read the previous reviews and, while we agree with two of the comments (ie. barking dogs, cold water/shower), these situations are not only explainable but understandable in the context of Debbie's situation (ie. Debbie LOVES animals!). For our family of five, these factors were far outweighed by Debbie's presence who went far out of her way to accommodate our every need including navigating local customs and transportation, providing recommendations for local stops and actually providing transportation to two stops herself. As for the really negative stuff, frankly we didn't see any of it and would recommend Debbie King's Country Inn for anyone who wants to stay in proximity (but not in) San Jose or specifically take a Cafe Britt tour. Her Inn has awesome views of San Jose and is very close to San Rafael, a very nice Costa Rican village on the outskirts of City. We spent a fair amount of time at the Inn and were impressed by the peace and tranquility of her Inn in the context her location. Our only additional comment is to make sure you get good directions because the Inn was hard to find. Otherwise, we really enjoyed Debbie's kind and outgoing hospitality on the last stop of our Costa Rican adventure.

• Liked — Debbie, views of San Jose, interaction with local culture including public transportation, peaceful stop, great breakfasts
  • Disliked — Proximity to San Jose, difficult to find,
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
pebs36, Owner Debbie at Debbie King's Country Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2008
Thank you for your otherwise nice review of me and my inn but alas there is a rather important misunderstanding about hot water in the showers and important that I explain,,,We have hot water showers for 17 years and barking dogs" sorry not Mine One night dogs on street barked due to stray dog on street outside of property! which has since been taken to the animal shelter , I am sorry if you were here that night. Thank you to the lovely family from Denver who said nice things about me and my in but we do have hot water showers and have had them for 17 years ..Sorry if the maid may have turned off the hot water due to trying to save money due to the the soaring cost of electricity
I WISH you had told me because I am not aware unless notified "( As for barking dogs ..My dogs are so used to guests that they do not bark at night..but if you were here the one night that a stray dog on the street outside my property which made all the neighbors dogs bark in protest. Almost every Band B in Costa Rica has dogs to keep away prowlers , but most, like mine are trained to know the difference between a prowler and guest Sixth sense I guess ..Fortunately I do not get prowlers but my dogs in huge Cages as you know re friendly to guests and If they were to bark at night ..I would never have repeat guests ..who make up the majority of my business.So sorry that maid may have turned off the hot water in your shower I apologise and invite you back for a free night to see that we do have hot showers ..the only way the hot water is turned off is if either a guest or the maid when cleaning touches the button a the top...Thank you for your kind remarks but cold and barking dogs would surely prevent new guests from coming here although the regulars know that we do have hot water.
Thank you for your kind comments but I hope travelers are assured that we do have hot water . In this moderate climate we need hot water showers ..Otherwise I am glad you enjoyed my hospitality. Warm Regards Debbie

> Sincerely
> Debbie King
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heredia
Hotel Chalet Tirol
Xandari Resort & Spa
Xandari Resort & Spa
#1 of 31 in Alajuela
4.5 of 5 stars 608 reviews

Been to Debbie King's Country Inn? Share your experiences!