“Filthy, dirty, stay far, far away” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Debbie King's Country Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Heredia
Debbie King's Country Inn
Concepcion de San Rafael | 500 meters sour *sur of Pulperia store, Heredia, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #8 of 9 Heredia B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida
“Filthy, dirty, stay far, far away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

After communicating with owner Debbie King for over a year via email and telephone, both my girlfriend and I were lead to believe that it would be pleasant, a bit rustic yet a clean and safe place to visit. To our shock this place was quite the opposite of what we imagined and what the pictures on the internet displayed. The nightmare began the moment we arrived on August 21, 2013. We rented the 2 bedroom apartment with a pre-arranged fee of $400 for the month. Once we arrived I quickly paid Debbie $400 in cash and proceeded to unpack in the apartment. The apartment was filthy, and unsanitary. There were bugs all over the place. Spider webs hanging from walls, ants on the bed, roaches running around. This place was plain filthy. We purchased bug spray and sprayed each day. There was no hot water and the bathroom was filthy. I complained about the bugs and hot water but to no avail. Debbie told me that we were imagining all the bugs. We even showed her the bugs and she stated they were never there before. I began taking pictures of all the filth and disgusting conditions. When it rained outside the ceiling in the sitting area leaked. The blanket placed on our bed was filled with dog hairs. The entire place smelled like an animal shelter that was never cleaned. The shower head was attached to faulty wires. There were 2 mangy looking dogs running around with a putrid odor. Debbie kept entering our apartment and allowing the dogs to climb on the furniture. They had fleas and when we complained she stated that it was their home. Debbie kept coming into our apartment turning off the lights and complaining about the electrical usage. It was a total nightmare. The pillows were filthy and we had to go out and buy 2 new ones. She called me a bigot for all my complaining and said I was high maintenance because I demanded hot water. My girlfriend and I stuffed holes in the ceiling with paper towels to prevent ants and spiders from falling onto our bed. Each time we mentioned touring a town or site she tried to talk us against going. In spite of her negativity we managed to find a guide who took us to some of the places and found them to be amazingly beautiful. I was surprised as she voiced her distrust to me of Costa Ricans, calling them thieves, and telling us they would steal our money. The Costa Ricans we encountered were warm and friendly. Debbie kept the main gate closed limiting the access to the open road. It was like a filthy prison. After 2 weeks we had enough and checked into a hotel in San Jose. Debbie did not offer us any refund, nor apologize for the filthy conditions we endured. As we were leaving, and loading our suitcases into our driver’s car, she used the, “F” word at least a dozen times directly at us. Her behavior was bizarre and totally unprofessional. If you value your health and want to enjoy Costa Rica, don’t stay at Debbie’s Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

had a terrible time here , find a better place for less money
has a nice view of the city , but very noisy, many dog barking night and day
rooms are much less than average for the price
coming and leaving the place is difficult as the owner keeps the place locked up and wont give you a key

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here a few years ago and had a rather frightening experience. Similar to other reviews, Debbie was all 'niceness' on the phone and even as she picked us up. Once we were on the property, the tone slowly shifted. It was nearing the end of the season perhaps, so we were the only guests (a fact that concerned us once we discovered this). She gave us a long list of do's and don'ts, spoke very rudely about the locals, and told us how she was out of everything because her previous guests cleaned out her kitchen. The place was not clean and seemed to have a layer of dirt/dust all over, and the property in general was not kept up. We probably could have chalked all of this up to just a poor accomodation selection and left it at that, however the conversation with Debbie that night is what really got to us.

She kept asking us if we wanted a drink in the evening, and neither of us are big drinkers so we declined. She then opened up a bottle for herself and started chatting for what lasted hours (we did not know how to excuse ourselves despite some not so subtle hints). She talked of her ex husband who she claimed was out to harm her, hence why she keeps her property locked up, she talked of her evil twin sister and the horrible things she did, she talked of the fame and fortune she had in the UK as an actress (some of this may be true as she has some pictures of herself with a few people up on her wall), she talked of the evil local people and how they are not to be trusted, and she went on and on about how all her guests love her and how they keep coming back. The more she drank, the more her personality changed and we felt progressively uncomfortable. I found it eerie that not one guest was there while we where there. When we finally went to bed that night, must husband said to me, 'i wonder if that sister even exists or is a figment of her imagination'! It freaked me out.

It was a creepy stay and I hope this will help others to avoid a similar experience.

Room Tip: don't go here...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Aurora, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

The roof leaked, a dead rat welcomed me and Debbie was less than gracious. I had to call the police to get out. She forged my name on a receipt. Go anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We had read favorable reviews of Debbie's Inn, and made a reservation with her for the first night of our trip to Costa Rica. We arrived without trouble, but upon meeting Debbie, we were greeted with nothing but negativity toward any plans we had to travel anywhere else in Costa Rica. She told us how Arenal was so far way--at least 6 hours (only 2.5 when we actually made the trip)--and it would be best just to stay in the Central Valley (and pay her to arrange trips for us, of course!) Anything we mentioned--Monteverde, Guanacaste, even Manuel Antonio--she highly recommended against. Thank God we didn't listen and got out of there the next day to enjoy a fantastic traveling around Costa Rica.

Debbie would not help us, and would not allow us to use her phone because it was too costly to her. We had to go out to the town of San Rafael, make our own connections and arrangements in an internet cafe. She could not have been less accommodating. When we told her of our plans, she told us we should not have talked to Costa Ricans, because you absolutely cannot trust them (yet she has lived in this country surrounded by people she cannot trust for over 20 years).

Furthermore, Debbie's Inn is quite a ways off the road, which required us to trek about 100 meters through the mud since she doesn't have any kind of drive with our luggage and all (couldn't she have been a bit hospitable and offered to drive us to the gate in her RAV4?) The shower did not warm up at all--ice cold--even though I waited for a good while. The inn is dusty and dirty, and after I left, I noticed my clothes were full of pet hair. We did not have the pleasure of eating there because since we were leaving so early (7 AM) the next day, she said she wouldn't be cooking because breakfast was at 8:30. I asked for a banana or something, but she told me they were out of season--even though everywhere else we went we found plenty of bananas. She told us we were on our own.

I highly recommend you look elsewhere for accommodations in the Central Valley. Debbie charged us $135 + we paid our own taxt to her place (around $25) for one miserable night at her inn. The woman is crazy and you will not have a pleasant experience. Take this advice from someone who has traveled frequently in Latin American, and my husband, who grew up in South America--there are much more peaceful, pleasant (not to mention clean and accommodating) places to stay!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

We had no problems. She upgraded us to a suite for free. We had no dog or cat problems. The food was ok she took us to the Volcano, picked us up from the airport, dropped us off,. no problem. Our suite had a sitting area that had a great view of San Jose at night. I have zero complaints.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
shreveport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

Excellent location. Close to all, yet quiet. Perfect setting for a good taste of Costa Rica.
Beautiful views, extremley comfortable climate, great place to kick back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Been to Debbie King's Country Inn? Share your experiences!