“Phenomenal resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Peace Lodge

Save Saved
You added Peace Lodge to your Saves list
Peace Lodge
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Near Poas Volcano | Vara Blanca, La Paz Waterfalls Gardens, Heredia, Costa Rica   |
“Phenomenal resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed with my family at the Peace Lodge for two nights during spring break. This is truly a phenomenal resort. It is small and the staff attend to your every need. The kids had a great time seeing all the animals. Yes, they are in enclosures since they are rescue animals. However, we would be unlikely to see an ocelelot I the wild. The interactions with the butterflies and hummingbirds were once in a lifetime. The restaurant was wonderful. My wife left her iPhone at the resort and the owner brought it back to the states for us and shipped it FedEx. Once again, the service was above anything we have previously experienced. Thanks Peace Lodge. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed March 2013

744 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The Peace Lodge and Waterfalls gardens is one of the most beautiful places we have ever stayed. The prices are high, but it is worth the splurge! The service starts at the registration, with a personal tour of the facilities, but doesn't end there. Everyone knows your name, and greets you at every turn. The rooms are breath taking, canopy bed, stone fireplace, jacuzzi, waterfall shower and a waterfall over the hot tube in the bath. The food was top quality, with a buffet breakfast to start the day watching the birds feeding on fresh fruit. One of the neatest thing was catching your own rainbow trout at the Trout Pond, where they clean and cook your catch for lunch. The Waterfall gardens and the lush landscaping at the lodge was beautiful, with all species of tropical plants. There are wild bird feeder through out the property. The Gardens are home to all types of birds, butterflies, animals, snakes, monkeys, frogs and endangered wild cats. Do you know that a Puma chirps like a bird when she feels comfortable with you. None of the animal have been collect from the wild, they are all taken from private people who tried to have them as pets. Some can be returned to the wild, but some will have to live their lives there. All of the trails were paved with non-skid stone pavers, which made a safe pathway to the waterfalls, then there was a bus at the other end to bring you back to the lodge. There are no details for fun, education, relaxation, and safety that have been overlooked at the Peace Lodge.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are mirror image of each other. There are villas and family villas availab...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Aibonito, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I dident stayed at theyre hotel, but visit the park , the animal reserve is a must see, tucanes, eagles, snakes, frogs, butterflies, lions and many more! They have a little ride on a " carreta" with two bulls, its really nice( dont forget to tip the man) you get to see a old style house from the early 1900 , the walk to the watterfall is not to hard, dont forget rain jacket or poncho, water proof shoes. The food is a buffet! With a little of everything for all tastes. The price was like $68 for two( included animal reserve, buffet and waterfall). Its like a 2 -1/2 hr drive from san jose.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Carlos, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Where else in the world can you stay at the finest place in Costa Rica and feed the Toucans and the hummingbirds? My wife and I had been driving all over the area and thought we knew exactly where the La Paz Waterfall Gardens were. We ended up at the lodge, at around 3pm, where we met Jorge. He is a fine young man. We just did not know how fine at the time. He felt our pain of having driving around the hills of Costa Rica all morning and early afternoon. I told him we only wanted to go to the park. He said as late as it is it is not worth it for you to just stay for 1 and 45 minutes. Jorge made us an offer to stay all night at the Peace Lodge and visit the Park the next day. We were pleasantly surprised as he took us around and showed us where everything was. When we arrived at our room, he had already had our names on the side of the door. He showed us the room and WOW! It was by far the most creative and beautiful room I have ever seen. The stone work around the fireplace, the wood around the sinks and the big rocks in the bathroom was the most beautiful craftsmanship I have ever seen. There is a waterfall behind the hot tub. There is a waterfall shower. I was completely blown away. How and why anyone could ever complain about anything at this perfect place, is just beyond me. We went to the restauraunt and we were greeted by Byron, another fine gentleman at this resort. I had the best pork chop ever cooked on the grille. Delicious! This is when the fun began, we went to some of the activities before the park shut down for the day.We fed the Hummingbirds and the Toucans and it was simply the coolest thing ever. To be so close to these magnificient birds was a real treat for me. We walked around this amazing place taking pictures until way after dark. We had a blast in the room that night. It was as if we were teenagers again. The next day we went to all of the exhibits.The snakes were really something. The Bushmaster was huge but the Fer de Lance was the biggest, meanest, fattest, poisonous snake I have ever witnessed. There were around 25 different snakes. The Puma, Jauguar, Ocelot and the other cats were captivating with there penetrating stares. The Butterfly Garden was a work of art. Beautiful! I went to the cement pond and caught two Rainbow Trout with Jose the fellow that arranges the fishing polls for you. We then went to a replica Costa Rican house from the 1890 - 1910 era and had some warm sugar cane drink and some of the best tasting cheese and cornbread. We then walked along the trails which are truly the best and safest trails in the world and I do mean the world!.We went to all the waterfalls and it was the best! We took the shuttle back up to the lodge and then we had a great lunch with Byron again. We said our goodbyes and I asked who owned the place. I said I have to meet him. They told me Lee Banks owns this place by himself and I told them I have to meet the man who built this great resort. After we drove up to the Poas Volcano which took about an hour. The views were million dollar views. We drove all the way to the Springs in La Fortuna to meet Lee. We spoke to him for two or three hours. A truly amazing story and truly amazing man.

Caracas, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is an excellent hotel, a bit on the pricey side but well worth it. We were upgraded as we were lucky enough to come after the mad rush of Easter, so my Advise would be to go when its not too busy. The restaurants and food were great I loved it, I just think with the price of the room breakfast should have been included.
But overall the whole place was excellent and perfect for families and romantic couples.

Room Tip: Go to the hotel at a time is not going to be mad busy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Barrington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Loved, loved, loved the Peace Lodge - it's a bit pricey, but it also has so much to offer - it's so tranquil with so many great, fun, adventurous and interactive activities - monkeys, aviary can walk in and feed the toucans, hummingbird feeding, butterfly conservatory, cats - it's a refugee for animals. Loved the waterfall trails (and the fern trail). It was also great exercise with all the mountainous walks. Loved our bedroom - very spacious, beautifully decorated, Incredible Balcony and View! and incredible bathroom - two sinks, huge shower, waterfall with beautiful lights and separate toilet area. Kids (12 and 15) liked watching the soccer on tv after dinner - I also loved the food at the Peace Lodge - had a very nice, delicious dinner with yummy wine - was one of my best meals in Costa Rica. I also liked the breakfast (again another gorgeous view) and lunch - the first day we caught our own fish in the trout pond and they cooked it - was very good!
- All the help was incredibly friendly and helpful - starting with Michael who picked us up at 7am to Poas Volcano - he was excellent - great tour guide and perfect timing and weather - we were the first ones to enter the park and view the volcano and the lagoon! He also stopped at a very clean, nicely priced "super market" (was a small place) for fresas - we discovered coquitos and loved them. Daniel, Jose, Byron, Eduardo were very helpful, friendly and attentive; Jonathon - our frog tour guide - was very informative, fun and interactive - Everyone was friendly and helpful.
- The only suggestion I made to the Peace Lodge was to upgrade their mattresses - one of the kids was a bit slanted and ours was beautiful and very spacious, but felt some lumps - think it was on logs? Don't think it had a box spring. Also, for those with difficulties walking - it's a lot of walking up and down mountainous paved steps - we loved it, but think someone like my mom with bad knees may have a challenging time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Carlos, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My stay at the Peace Lodge was one of great exception. They treated my wife and I like royalty. I asked if the owner was in the country and the said he was at his other resort in La Fortuna, The Springs. I told them that I had to meet the man that had designed and created this masterpiece of a resort. I drove three hours and finally was taken down to the bottom of the hill at The Springs at met him. We had dinner and discussed his creation at the Peace Lodge. I needed to know how he used all the stone, granite, and wood in all of the creative applications in the resort. It was amazing to listen to the stories of the making of the Peace Lodge. Most folks would have given up.
The rooms are truly unbelievable. Just look at the photos and for once the photos do not do it justice. The actual resort is better than the photos. The beds are the most comfortable that I have ever slept on.
Treat yourself and visit this great resort. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Peace Lodge? Share your experiences!