“Fun and informative” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Britt Coffee Tour

Britt Coffee Tour
From the Auto Mercado Heredia 500 meters north, 400 meters west | On the way to the village of Barva, Heredia 528-3000, Costa Rica
506 22771600
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Group tours/day tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Britt's CoffeeTour has educated and entertained nearly 1 million friends and coffee lovers from around the world since 1991.We use humor and insight to show you the secrets behind an exquisite cup of coffee.Our experts lead the way on an enjoyable journey through the world of coffee. Discover coffee´s colorful history and the process that transforms the red coffee cherry into the delicious morning brew.Located in Heredia, 25 minutes away from Internacional Airport. Daily tours at 9:30 and 11:00 am. From Dec. 15 to April 30 enjoy an additional showing at 3:00 pm. Advanced reservation required.Our roastery campus and facilities include:•Lush green areas and colorful gardens. •Restrooms and pathways suitable to people of all ages and physical abilities. •On-site restaurant. •Plenty of secure parking. •Factory store with coffee, chocolates, cookies & more.•Door-to-door international coffee delivery service via courier.
16 attraction reviews
“Fun and informative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This tour is not conducted on an actual working coffee plantation but a tourist site with some coffee plants around the grounds. Having said that the tour was informative and fun (although a little corny at times) with the commentary in both Spanish and English. Depending on the mix of people on the day and who asks the most questions will determine which language is used the most. As with all good tours in places like this the tour ends in the gift shop where you can try the various coffee blends and chocolates. Both the coffee and chocolate are good so we didn't mind spending time in here. It is not necessary to do the tour to be able to do this, the gift shop and cafe are open to the public without charge.
We enjoyed it and with a lack of much else to do around San Jose we didn't think iy a waste of time.

Visited December 2012
BrittCoffeeTour, Coordinator, Fiorella Miranda at Britt Coffee Tour, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear visitor,

Thank you for your comments. We are actually in a coffee plantation and from around December till February, more or less, we have coffee pickers in our plantation recollecting the coffee. We also buy the coffee we roast from around 2000 independent growers around the country, and roast here, at our roastery, the best Costa Rican gourmet coffee.

Our coffee tour is indeed very different, since we want our visitors to relax and enjoy, while they learn about our history, culture and of course about what makes us coffee experts and the best coffee roasters in Costa Rica.

We are glad you enjoyed our factory store, where as your mentioned you can try all our famous roasts and of course our delicious gourmet chocolates too!

We are glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to have you back soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Skip it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We went on the Britt Coffee tour as part of a Caravan tour, and the best advice I can give is to avoid it. They have a very superficial tour and a very silly skit before you get to the main event - the selling of their coffee and chocolate. We had a very bad experience in trying to have them send coffee as a gift. I would never go back there.

Dear Visitor,

We are very sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We are always trying to be better so our visitors can enjoy, have a good time during their vacations and learn about Costa Rican history, culture and of course our specialty as the best coffee roasters in the country.

Thank you for your feedback, this always makes us want to improve and we really hope to have you back again. If you would like to share what happened at our factory store, so we can follow up, we would appreciate if you could send us and e-mail to sales@britt.com.

toronto
77 attraction reviews
“Would have been very interesting were it to have been in English”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The subject matter was very interesting---how a coffee bean gets from the plant to your cup. There were several types of coffee to sample, and they were all excellent. The gardens were beautiful. The bathrooms were clean and pleasant.
Now the bad parts--the tour did not start on time. busloads trickled participants in and we had to wait till there were enough people to start.
The presenters were actors and conducted most of the proceedings in Spanish--I understood only about a third of what they were saying. I would have enjoyed this tour much more had I been fluent in Spanish.
After the tour, I asked the woman presenter/actress what many of the episodes were actually about. She was not fluent in English and even when she tried to explain to me (which she did), I understood only every third word.
There were no fruiting coffee plants on this 'plantation'. Participants in another tour were given red berries with coffee seeds inside, but I did not see an actual berry, which was disappointing, as I realized I was on the wrong tour.
Here is a tip--take the all day tour which includes a coffee plantation, the Poaz volcano and the Waterfall Gardens--that was one amazing day (I was supposed to do the Poaz volcano and then the Waterfall Gardens, but the tour guide somehow got mixed up. I was picked up for the Poaz volcano half day trip and then transferred to the Waterfall tour at Poaz--I joined a bus that had done the coffee plantation first (I assume it was with the guide who was with the bus, who was excellent and spoke entirely in English) and realized that was the tour I should have taken. I did the Britt coffee plantation the next day and considered that trip a waste of a perfectly good day I could have done something better.

Dear visitor,

Thank you very much for your feedback, your comments are very important to us, so we can keep improving. Our tours are bilingual (English and Spanish) and yes our guides are actors and are coffee experts. We are sorry you feel you missed out information, since the information we give is equal in both languages. Regarding our guide, we will work with her accent, so she keeps improving her English, again thanks for your valuable comments.

Our plantation is small, since we are roasters, so we buy our coffee from around 2000 independent growers from around the country, so we can focus on our specialty, being the best Costa Rican gourmet coffee roasters.
Our tour is very different, we want our visitors to have fun, relax and enjoy during their vacations, while learning about our history, culture and of course our specialty, Gourmet Coffee!

We do hope to have you back, so we can keep shearing our secrets.

Atenas, Costa Rica
12 attraction reviews
“very informative & fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Learned a lot about coffee and had an enjoyable experience with staff that were great. They showed us through the coffee fields and than presented a play about the history of coffee.

Visited February 2012
Mount Pleasant
62 attraction reviews
“I`m not a fan of coffee but I enjoyed it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I dont like coffee, and I went in thinking this was going to be a boring tour, and the tour itself was ok, at the start of the tour you can sample 3 types of their coffee, and a lot more at the end. You could also sample their chocolate which was good. I dont know how much it was as it was included in my trip but if you are in San jose i would say its worth the 30min bus ride. The prices for their coffee are discounted from the actual stores here