“Great value, wonderful owner” 5 of 5 stars

Belen Suites
Belen Suites
La Rivera de Belen, Heredia, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Heredia B&B and Inns
“Great value, wonderful owner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Drove from La Fortuna and planned on dropping the rental car off at the National/Alamo desk at the Marriott - and staying one night for our flight the next morning. We got to the hotel to find it was sold out due to a conference. The nice bell man called the Belen for us & informed us that the main rental office would pick up the car there (just call first). So glad they were booked, as Belen was much cheaper (paid $85) & owner went out of her way to help us in every way. Rooms are simple but large & clean. It is located an easy walk to a shopping center with restaurants. Great for overnight stay when flying in or out. Stay at Belen & support a nice family owned, local business.

• Stayed January 2013

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Fort Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Its very comfortable, cleaned and safe. My 3 year old had a ball. The service is on a personal level makes you feel at home.

Room Tip: You want a place away from home that makes you feel at home this is the place.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

This place is easy to find. The hotel we were booked with we couldn't find and thank goodness. When we arrived late at night mind you, we were cooked a fresh meal and greeted by the owner. Rooms are clean and air conditioned. The breakfast was excellent. They even helped us find our way out of town.

We canceled our return reservation and made a new one for Belen Suites.

On our way out of Costa Rica we returned here. So close to the airport and car rental making everything simple. The owner even helped me get to the gas station so we could avoid paying the car rental agency fees. Before feeding me a great pork chop dinner and making my wife, a vegetarian, her own special meal.

If this was all they did for us they would get a great review. But I left my passport in the room. When I called she had it delivered to me at the airport within five minutes. Unfortunately I couldn't get back to the front of the line fast enough. They gave my seat away. When I called Belen Suites, they sent a car for me. Let me have my room to rest until my next flight and made me breakfast and lunch and delivered me back to the airport that evening for my flight.

Without them I would have been stuck. My wife flew on the flight I missed and I was left without almost anything. There is nothing like being stranded in a country alone where your command of the language can get you a beer and that is about it.

If you stay any where else you will pay way to much and will miss out on being treated like a long lost family member.

Traveling in and out of San Jose, or a base camp to explore the rest of the country, or a short distance into the heart of San Jose, this is the place to stay. Free Wi-Fi

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Danville, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

We had booked a different hotel on hotel.info, we called to confirm and the website had never contacted the hotel, they were booked for the night. The owner of the hotel (close location to Belen Suites) felt bad that we had no reservation so he called Belen Suites and got us a room. We couldn't have been happier! In the long run Belen Suites was cheaper, closer to the airport and had the most outstanding service. We will stay here every time we are near the San Jose airport.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Mariieaga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

Basically my only problem with this hotel is that there is no space to "lounge." We were here with a group of 10 and we had no option but to stay in our rooms. We stayed here 2 months before trying our luck with the hotel down the street(La Riviera), which I would say is better mainly due to more space outside the room to relax. (Pool, restaurant) the people are very friendly and will not bother you.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Maryland, U.S.A
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

On a recent trip to Costa Rica, I had the pleasure of staying for two nights near the San Jose' international Airport in a cozy little bed and breakfast " Belen Suites", while waiting for my flight, back home.

Very reasonably priced, contrary to other small hotels (Holiday Inn Express at $150 per night for example), Belen Suites is a five minutes drive from the airport, if you take the scenic route. Three minutes drive, if you have to make a flight in a hurry. It is a brand new hotel.

The Belen Suites is a hidden gem, because it does not appear on major travel sites for some reason. The owner/ proprietor/ chief cook and bottle washer is a sweet woman, Ely. Ely hails from Queens, New York, where she worked most of her life as a RN. Ely is about as resoucre ful as one can get in Costa Rica, because she is a native.

During my stay, I needed a dentist's appointment within two hours. Ely arranged it. Needed some laundry done. Ely, of course! I wanted to buy fresh fish of my choice for my dinner, cooked to my liking. Ely arranged it. Her sister, Yourlanda is an excellent cook, who cooked the fish about as perfect as it can get. On the morning of my departure, I needed a taxi at 4 a.m. I also hesitantly expressed a desire that it will be great to get some coffee at that time. Sure enough, when I woke up a pot of hot coffee (no charge) was waiting for me and the taxi showed up on time. Four USD for the ride to the airport. That is about what a five star hotel can do for you.

It gets better- Upon check in, I was shown my room and I was astonished at the size of the room. It had one queen size bed, with room for two more of the same and then some. The room was so clean that it seemed that I was the first occupant, which of course was not true. Late in the evening of the day of my check in, I met Ely. Real nice, soft spoken and a smiling face. 32 of life in New York had not done one bit of damage to her. I asked her the question, which was really bothering me. Ely, why are rooms soooo huge? I got my answer. Ely wants to put in a living area and a kitchenette in every room, hence the size. She is working on the project.

I wish Ely well in her endeavors.

In the mean time, the place is heaven for the budget minded tourists. Rent a room at Belen Suites; it should be enough for 4-5 people. Ask for extra mattresses. I think Ely charges $10.00 each (not sure). $100 for 4 people. Full breakfast is included in the room rent. You can't beat that deal anywhere in Costa Rica. Not even in the country side. Ahh, I missed one thing- there is no menu. Tell Ely what you want to eat, how you want it cooked and what time would you like to be served. Having done that, relax. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Maryland, U.S.A
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

I wish Ely well in her endeavors.

Mike.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Been to Belen Suites? Share your experiences!