“Great time!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #81 of 96 Activities in Tamarindo
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Off Road Adventures Costa Rica offers 1/2, full and multi-day jeep adventure tours of the Costa Rican backcountry. Based in Tamarindo Costa Rica, the tours highlight the stunning flora, fauna, beaches and culture of this beautiful country. Clients drive their own vintage Toyota Land Cruisers, are provided with an Indiana Jones bag (field guides, binoculars, two-way radios, maps, magnifying glasses, bandanas and machetes) and follow our expert guides through the forests and countryside.
Louisiana
“Great time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

My wife and I went to Costa Rica for our honeymoon. One of our stops was in Tamarindo, and while we were having lunch, two of their FJ40 Landcruisers drove right passed us and parked next door. I went and talk to the folks and they set us up on a tour right away. We had no plans for Tamarindo, and I am glad we did this little excursion. We went to a beautiful private beach which we had to lock into four wheel drive to reach. Our guides pointed out howler monkeys and showed us a termite nest. He also ate a few termites and encouraged the rest in our group to also.... of course, I was the only one! :0) The next time I am in Tamarindo, I am definately taking another tour. They have promised to change the route to keep things interesting!

I highly recommend this company if you are any where near Tamarindo. Do the full day or the sunset excursion.

Michigan
“Great 3 day adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2007

While planning for a recent trip to Costa Rica, my wife & I came across an Ad for Off Road Costa Rica in a Toyota Trails Magazine. (We own a 1977 FJ40 Land Cruiser - and are members of the Toyota Land Cruisers Association - which publishes Toyota Trails) We were looking for a way to experience the real Costa Rica without traveling on a bus and hitting tourist traps - and knew this was the adventure for us becasue we actually get to drive a vintage FJ40 - so we booked the 3 day trip.

After spending our 1st 3 days on the beach in Ocotal, we headed to Tamarindo to start our safari. After a wonderful overnight stay at the Jardin del Eden, we were thrilled as 4 FJ40 Land Crusiers and the rest of our safari party roared into the front of our hotel to pick us up. And off we went. We hit the back roads and trails traveling south to the surf town of Nosara. Along the way we stopped to see Howler Monkies, Anteaters, Lizards plus many other cool things.

Ted & Rose were both very knowledgeable, interesting and
a lot of fun! We spent then next 2 nights at Casa Romantica -
a small family owned hotel. The rooms were very basic - but
clean. The hotel had a nice pool which felt great after a hot dusty
day on the trail. A short walk down a path leads to a great surfing beach. Beautiful!

The next 2 days were filled with many unforgetable adventures - great trails, river crossings, hiking to waterfalls, awesome beaches, an early morning boat ride where we saw many birds, 1 crocodile and other interesting river life.

Our meals were excellent. We stopped at small local places with great food and atmosphere.

What was originally planned as a side trip, quickly became the highlight of our vacation! We can't wait to go back and will certainly go "off roading" with Off Road Costa Rica again!

Pasadena, CA
“Indiana Jones in Tamarindo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

We were in Tamarindo for a wedding and made a vacation of it with the kids. They are too young for ATVs so we took a tour with ORCR. Our guide, Ted was very knowledgeable ablut the culture and history of the area and was very engaging. Driving the Land Cruiser was a blast. On the way we spotted a troupe of Howler monkeys and had a pleasant sunset picnic and swim. The kids learned how to properly use a machete and crack a bull whip! Two essential skills of the jungle that any any budding Indy can't be without. We arrived back at the hotel tired, dusty and entirely satisfied.

Vancouver Island
“One of the BEST Tours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

I just have to let everyone know that Off Road Costa Rica is the best "bang" for your buck - they are prompt, courteous, thoughtful and FUN.
Our host and his crew arrived at our hotel with vehicles and other equipment for our journey and we were off on our adventure.
We saw lots of beautiful country and YES you DO drive your own vehicle - what is advertised is EXACTLY what you get.
They will customized your trip to suit you if you let them know. I just can't think of a better way to spend part of your vacation and if I ever go back again - I will contact them and plan a day - OR two.

Thanks Freddie, Rose and Ted for our lovely morning that we spent with you.

The Pas, Canada
“the best tour we took on our Costa Rican vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

We spent a half day with Rose and Freddy. They catered to our every need and really made it an great day. We were able to see some gorgeous beaches and forests. The fact that we were our own drivers made it that much more of an adventure. My only regret was that we only booked in for a half day. Shall definitely go again (full day) if we get back to that area. I fully recommend this tour to anyone who wants to see sights and yet relax on the beaches.
Leona and Garry WalowskThe Pas. MB Canada