“Very nice place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pura Vida Hostel

You added Pura Vida Hostel to your Saves list
Pura Vida Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Calle Guanacaste Tamarindo | 100m East From Banco National, Tamarindo 50309, Costa Rica   |
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Very nice place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

The best about this hostel is the chill out area and Thomas! He would help you with everything and is very freindly!
The rooms were quiet good. We stayed longer than planned and would definitely come back!

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Czech first
Bozrah, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I travel A LOT-and this is one of my new favorite hostels worldwide. About a 5 minute walk from the beach-its really got everything you need. The common areas were great and it was really easy to make friends. There were 2 kitchens so even though everybody cooked, it wasn't an issue as there was plenty of space. The vibes here were so relaxed, with the hammocks and rocking chairs. Thomas and Marianne *sorry!* were so accommodating and were willing to help me out, extend my stay, switch around dates and were so kind. It was a struggle to leave! If I ever go back here-I will for sure book with this hostel again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here based on the Tripadvisor reviews and didn't think that it was anything special. I was in one of the six bed dorms which only just fit the 3 bunk beds and only had one functioning fan...which barely cooled the room. There was not much of an atmosphere during my stay and the hostel is a fair distance from the main street in Tamarindo (very dark when walking back from a night out).
Thomas is a great staff member and is a true asset to the hostel. He is very friendly and always willing to offer advice and help.
This is an okay hostel, I was just expecting more based on Tripadvisor reviews.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

So relaxing place! The dorm was really clean and secure. My friend and I met a lot of people there. The host (Thomas) was always available to help us to book activities or transportation for other towns! Even if the hostel is a bit far from the beach, the place is still close to a market and within walking distance of the bars and the beach is still low (about 6 minutes).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

The hostel is quite distant ..
We found the atmosphere unpleasant..
We took a private room which was quite expensive, Our air conditioning didn't worked and the manager refused to compensate us( they charge in advance and refused to give us some of the money back) even tough we paid for the AC.
Bottom line: I would Not recommend to stay there .. There are many hostels around which offers nicer stuff, better atmosphere and better prices!!

• Stayed January 2013
Mirka5555, Manager at Pura Vida Hostel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
I apologize to our Israeli guest, that they couldn't enjoy the atmosphere of our place.
Maybe if they would talk to other travelers they would have different experience.
A/C is working perfect , when i tried the A/C it was working for 100% (sorry guys but A/C can't go lower then 18 degrees celsius) .
There was no discount on working A/C:) But for your trying to get any discount I gave you surf board for free for a day. You forget mention it:)
Have safe travels and hope you will get better experience on your journey .
Stowe, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Great hosts! Very clean, Very comfortable. I had my own room for $45 per night and it was a great deal. I met a lot of fun people and I will certainly return to this hostel whenever I visit Tamarindo. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: I had room 7 and i loved it
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

If your looking for the perfect hostel, that gives you that family atmosphere, relaxation and amazing staff (Miriam), you don't need to look anywhere else in Tamarindo, this is the perfect place!

Having stayed with a friend at the beginning of our trip through Costa Rica, this was our first stop along our trek, and we couldn't have started at a better place. The surfing was fantastic, and you are just a short walk to the beach. The ability to rent a board and even receive lessons if you are a beginner, make things easily accessible and the staff will always go out of there way to accomodate your needs.

Beautiful, and quiet rooms give you that much needed sleep you need after the long days on the water, and the rowdy nights partying just steps away in the town. There is no shortage of meeting many travellers, as the beautiful common area brings all travellers together, and there are many nightly events to share as a hostel. Best of all you didn't feel the need to participate in all events and could come and go as you please.

Simply stated this place rocks, and as the old saying goes, you always save the best for last, and to finish off my trip I made sure I came back to Pura Vida one last time before heading home...... Looking forward to my next trip back!

Thanks for everything!

Lee

Room Tip: Just call ahead and the staff will be honored to accomodate your requests
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Pura Vida Hostel? Share your experiences!