“My second visit-- every bit as good as my first” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pura Vida Hostel

You added Pura Vida Hostel to your Saves list
Pura Vida Hostel
Calle Guanacaste Tamarindo | 100m East From Banco National, Tamarindo 50309, Costa Rica   |
Lexington Park, Maryland
“My second visit-- every bit as good as my first”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

I stayed here for the first time in July of last year and had a really enjoyable experience. Recently I had the good fortune to return to Costa Rica for a second visit, and decided to try this place out again. I'm happy to report that my second stay turned out to be just as good as my first, if not better. My room was spotless when I arrived. And even though (as I learned later) the "house was full" on at least two nights during my stay, all the common areas remained tidy and did not feel at all crowded. Since my last visit the management has added a pool table and a nice little library with books and magazines. And I discovered that they can now book tours, fishing charters, and shuttle reservations to airports and most other popular destinations (e.g., Arenal, Monteverde, etc.) for their guests right on the premises. I slept soundly every night during my stay but one. On that night at around 2:00AM my slumber was rudely interrupted by a lone-- and apparently insomniac-- howler monkey, who decided to serenade the whole neighborhood from a mango tree right outside my bedroom window. For such an unexpected experience I certainly can't fault this delightful establishment.... :-D

In my book, Pura Vida Hostel remains the best value for the money in Tamarindo.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Czech first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

I stayed at Pura Vida Hostel for 7 days and had a wonderful experience. Two full kitchens made making meals very easy, even if other guests were cooking at the same time. The common area was amazing! A beautiful garden with beautiful wooden furniture and hammocks was the perfect escape from the mid-day heat and a great space for travellers to meet and get to know one another. The vibe was very mellow and the travelers this place attracts are world class.
The hostel manager, Miriam, couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. She even came out with some of the guests in the evenings for a drink. She can book any shuttles or trips for you and makes your stay completely care-free.
I took a look at some of the other hostels in town and they looked terrible compared to Pura Vida. The hostel is just far outside of the centre of town to make it quite when you're looking the escape the party scene of Tamarindo, but close enough that a walk into town for groceries or a walk to the beach only take 5-10mins. In my opinion, this is the only place to stay in Tamarindo.

Happy Travels,
Cam

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

We had loads of fun staying at Pura Vida hostel. Miriam was extremely helpful, with everything from directions to planning our surfing lessons, ATV trips and zip line tour.

The hammocks are great to relax in and the communal area is nice for chilling with some friends.

Recommended ;)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

Thank you Pura Vida for starting our Costa Rican vacation on the right foot! The staff, especially Oliver, were great and made us feel right at home! Can't wait to come back for a visit.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

Basically, the owner - Miriam does everything so that you don't have to do a thing and can get on with the serious business of enjoying the 'Pura Vida'. Miriam arranged a catamaran booze cruise for us and other people staying in the hostel, so that we weren't going alone and even took us to the beach at Playa Avellanos and arranged all of our transfers and taxis as and when required.

The hostel has two well equipped kitchens and a large lounge area which means that most hostel stayers can all hang out at the same time, and although there is a quiet rule at 11pm for those who have to get up early the next morning, it doesn't effect the socialising at the hostel and usually hostel goers go out to the clubs and bars in big groups. The hostel also puts on it's legendary 'Pirate Night' where fancy dress is mandatory - I know that if you're backpacking you probably don't have fancy dress room in your pack, but a little imagination is expected, so major props to the Australian for drawing on an eye-patch with pen, around his eye (that's the level of imagination, that will get you cheap drinks!)

We stayed a week here and then moved on, but actually came back as we liked it so much, we felt like a family and it was sad to leave everyone here and you can't get a better recommendation then that, can you?!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

This was my first time staying at a hostel and it was a great experience. They tried to put most of the girls in one room and guys in another whenever possible. There are also private rooms with air conditioning. The owner is sooo sweet and ready to help whenever possible. It has two kitchens to cook your own food in. Gates are locked at night for plenty of security. There is a market right around the corner to buy your own food should you choose to cook and the beach is only a short walk away. They can arrange all trips and pickups for you no problem. Everyone there was so nice and friendly. We all hung out together and it was a great place for a solo traveler to have her first hostel experience. Definitely recommend this place if you are ever in Tamarindo.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
monteverde, costa rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

My favorite hostel stay of all time! The chilling space provides a definite community and gathering of all persons to have amazing times together. The staff is unbelievably helpful with any of your needs or problems. I didn't even originally want to stay in Tamarindo (hearing from many others it is known as "Tamagringo", and a big tourist spot), but the people at this hostel showed me such a good time there isn't any way I'm not coming back! The atmosphere, between all the beautiful ceiling and the mass amount of plants everywhere, contributed to the wonderful vibes there as well.

Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Pura Vida Hostel? Share your experiences!