“Great people, great atmosphere, great time!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Witch's Rock Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
You added Witch's Rock Surf Camp to your Saves list
Enfrente de Economy Rental Car | Playa Tamarindo, Tamarindo, Costa Rica   |
Quebec City, Canada
“Great people, great atmosphere, great time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

Everything about Witch's Rock Surf Camp is great: The people working there are nice and the atmosphere is awesome. Being a solo traveler, I found it easy to meet people at the hotel restaurant 'Joe's'. The surf instructors are very patient (I definitely needed some patient instructors!) and helpful. The rooms are very clean and all have a very pleasant beach view. I would definitely come back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

Witch's Rock MADE our trip. We were originally staying in an all inclusive resort about 30 minutes drive down a loooong bumpy dirt road. Immediately we felt claustrophobic, like we could have been anywhere in the world with a beach and a lounge chair.

We set out to see more of the country and were thrilled to discover the paved road into Tamarindo. We booked rooms at Witch's Rock surf camp and never looked back. Their open air restaurant is great, (they even have sushi) and the people we sat next to the first night became instant friends who we hung out with on and off for the duration of our trip. I'm sure that happens all the time because it was just a really friendly spot. The staff are local, but speak great English, the rooms were cozy but nice, clean and ours had an ocean view. The nights they had live music were great, on other nights we went to a few of the other restaurants in town including the disco and that was a blast.

I don't usually take vacations at the same place twice, but I met many people who have been coming to Witch's Rock for years, and by the end of the week I completely understood why. I didn't want to leave, and I can't wait to go back.

It's not a fancy resort, but that's it's whole charm. It's was a fun and far more authentic experience of Costa Rica than we would have had otherwise.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Canmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

I went with my husband, who was more excited about going to Costa Rica and learning to surf than I was. I figured I would take a few lessons and see how it went. After the second day (first day was a little rough, but fun) I was hooked. We're both still total beginner surfers, but we'll be back for sure, probably in March, working on it right now.

The surf camp has a great vibe. The food was tasty for breakfast lunch and dinner, and we also enjoyed several other restaurants in town (the best was Coconuts across the street where we had a romantic dinner). The bonfire beach party was a highlight. I still think about the beach every day as I scrape the snow from my car!

We'll be back, and bringing friends.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

This is my second trip to WRSC and my wife's first trip. We had a great time and are planning on coming back in 2011. This is not a luxury hotel and they don't claim to be! I would recommend that couples avoid the Tiki rooms (Shawna moved us to better accommodations with zero hassle or cost). The magic of WRSC starts with Joe and Holly who have sprinkled their energy and pura vida spirit throughout the entire operation. As you will see in most of the reviews (except the whiney-bag from OH), the family feeling of the resort and the chance to meet really interesting people from all over the world is what makes this place special. If you are learning to surf (like my wife) this is a safe and fun environment. If you are a surfer you will get great waves every day in sunshine and warm water (okay, depending how Mother Nature is serving it up of course!). If you are a good surfer and have your own quiver, you may want to consider bringing your own board as the selection at WRSC tends to be geared toward beginners. Or just use what Joe has on the rack and don't hassle with the board transportation!
Pura vida!
Dave from San Diego

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

We stayed at Witch's Rock for three days to receive surfing instruction. The surfing instruction was "sub-par" at best. I agree with a previous guest when saying that the instructor seemed more concerned about his dog and the women! On our second day of instruction, Flash (our instructor) just stood on the beach and yelled...."paddle" a couple of times. The seminars were pretty worthless too, as there was quite a bit of "rambling".

The first room we stayed in was smaller than my college dorm room. Seriously.... it was TINY! Once we were moved, the room was larger, and there were NO amenities. The phone didn't work, the air conditioner made a loud annoying noise, there are no blankets, no tissues, etc. These rooms are for the person who only wants to surf. After looking into it, we could have stayed at a nicer hotel up the road and paid for private surf lessons for the same price (or less) as Witch's Rock.

And, just so you know, you are asked NOT to throw toilet paper in the toilet. And the toilets don't really "FLUSH". Witch's Rock says that all of Tamarindo is like this, but we didn't have the same experience in other hotels/restaurants.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, January 3, 2011
I am so sorry to hear that you never felt that Pura Vida vibe from us that most everyone else gets while staying with us.

In your particular case, I remember quite well that you guys were not happy with your first room which you had requested upon booking due to the price and I gave you a free upgrade to the room with the most spectacular view in the house. We never pretend here that our rooms are luxurious, they are clean basic and beachfront.
On top of the free room upgrade, we also sent you pictures after you had left, even though we do not due that for anyone else, because you guys had broken and lost both of your cameras and one of you really wanted to have a picture of you surfing.

I am also sorry to hear that you felt our instructors and classes were not worth the value we give it. Our instructors have been with us for years now, and are almost all of the reason that we receive 30% return guest rates every week. They definitely have their off days though, as we all do and I do really apologize that you guys were not the main focus.

I feel that if you would have come to my while you were here like you did when you wanted the room change, instead of writing a review on tripadvisor like this, then we may have been able to straighten out your vacation and make it one of the best, even if we only had a couple of days to do it.

I hope that you take my word for it and know that if you come back we will change your mind about WRSC!

Pura Vida

Shawna Mullen
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

I love this place so much, I keep coming back. The surf tours, the food, the friendly staff and the awesome vibe of witch's rock will always keep me coming back. I've just booked my 5th trip.

Thanks to everyone!

Pauline

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

WRSC is a great trip. They are a surf camp, not a luxury hotel. All guests are treated like family. It's first names the whole time. Classes are relaxed and if you miss one no big deal. You will have a great time with family group or going alone. You will definitely go home with a bunch of new friends. They cater to surfers of every ability keeping you challenged at all times with car and boat trips to the best locations. The definitely know where the waves are. Don't go if want a huge room, fine sheets, or if an occasional insect bothers you, or maybe you should go and then go home realizing there is much more to a great trip than those amenities.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Witch's Rock Surf Camp? Share your experiences!