“Great surf vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Witch's Rock Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
You added Witch's Rock Surf Camp to your Saves list
Enfrente de Economy Rental Car | Playa Tamarindo, Tamarindo, Costa Rica   |
Nashville, Tennessee
“Great surf vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Just returned from a week trip to WRSC. I had never surfed before or traveled alone before and this place was great for both of those. It was easy to make friends and the waves out front were good for beginners, as was the rock free sea bottom. The staff was really great. Maxi, who worked in the board cage, was always smiling and such a sweet spirit and I couldn't have asked for a better first person to talk to in the morning on the way to pick up the surfboard! The instructors were great also (I had Erlyn most of the week and then Josimar the last day)--they were laid back and fun, but also attentive and patient and gave good tips. Now I feel comfortable and ready to go out surfing by myself and catch waves. Overall it was a great trip, i definitely want to return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Hola Margro,

Glad you hear you had such a wonderful time at our surf camp and loved the waves in Tamarindo! You're right, the rock-less bottom and smooth waves right front make for a perfect beach to learn and improve your surf skills.

I'll make sure to tell Maxi and the surf instructors about your positive review :)

Hope to see you again soon!

WRSC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We arrived at Witch's Rock Surf Camp as solo travelers not knowing what to expect. To our surprise, meeting people and making friends was extremely easy and fun. In fact, my roommate and I quickly became good friends (thus us writing our review together). Neither of us had ever traveled alone or surfed before, but those things did not seem to matter. The hotel guests and staff were extremely friendly and helpful throughout our entire trip. The highlight of our experience, however, was deifnitely learning to surf. Erlyn was our instructor for most of the week and he made our trip memorable. Other reviewers have said Erlyn is patient, kind, and thorough -- they could not have used better words to describe him. We admit there were times when we could have been more focused during our lessons, but Erlyn met us where we were and worked with us. By the end, both us were able to go out on our own and try surfing. We owe it all to Erlyn :). On the last day we had Josimar as our instructor. At first we were hesitant to have a different instructor, but Josimar was also a fantastic teacher and very professional. While we were at WRSC, we had the opportunity to meet some of the other instructors (i.e. J. Luis, Andres, Paco, and Axcel). They too made us feel at home and were helpful in providing tips on our surfing and were also extremely talented and professional. Overall, this was a fantastic trip and we are already planning a reunion trip with some of the other campers. We honestly can't wait to go back!

Thank you so much WRSC!

Room Tip: Don't worry about the rooms - you won't spend much time there.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hola Angelikraze,

Thank you for trusting WRSC with your solo vacation! We always love to hear about successful trips from our solo travelers. "Come down solo, leave with lasting friendships" is what we like to say.

We are also very pleased to hear your positive review of our surf program; I will be sure to pass your message onto Erlyn and the rest of the instructors.

Hope to see you again soon in Pura Vida land!

White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Upon a recommendation from someone in my office, I decided to take my daughter to Surf Camp at Witch's Rock. The recommendation lived up to and exceeded my expectations. From the moment we got there (sans luggage), we were given exceptional and friendly service. Our room was terrific and the AC welcome. The location is excellent and very handy to the lessons and the amazing beach and surf. Instructors were fantastic, even hung over after the big soccer game! Such a great atmosphere as everyone gathered each night at Joe's to recollect and share the day's experiences. Lasting friendships were definitely made. The food was the best in town and the staff really got to know each of the "campers". Highly recommend this spot for anyone with an interest in learning to surf or honing their skills. Great mother/daughter adventure and would do it again! Pura Vida.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean have a fantastic view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hola Ashdem

Glad you took the advice from your co-worker and decided to come visit! Sounds like you and your daughter had a fantastic vacation all around and got a chance to witness the Costa Rican madness of the World Cup. thank you for the kind word and positive review.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I went with my girlfriend for 4 days to learn to surf and it was an overall great experience. The hotel is definitely no frills - small, simple rooms, no TVs - which was fine because you don't spend much time there anyway. They have a solid restaurant right downstairs which is perfect for breakfast, smoothies, beers, and watching World Cup Soccer!

The hotel is right on the beach, which couldn't be any more convenient for going out to surf every day. The surf instructors (our was Axel) are all very friendly and make sure you are making progress and having fun. The lessons are really small and they cater to your skills to get you to the next level. The beach is also perfect for learning, it's an easy beach break with relatively small waves for learning. Our only problem was that a swell came through halfway through our trip and the waves became MUCH bigger than usual, which made it tougher to surf - but you can't control that.

The town was nice, a little on the touristy side, and more expensive than other parts of Costa Rica. Coming from New York, it was funny to see pizza and sushi restaurants more than local spots. I guess that's what happens over time to a beautiful place like Tamarindo, so you can't blame them for that either.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Hola Lev,

Glad you enjoyed your short but sweet stay with us at WRSC. Sounds like you got a chance to ride some fun waves while checking out the world cup madness as well! Thank you for you review and thank you for trusting Witch's Rock with your Costa Rican vacation. Pura Vida!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Can't wait to head back. I went with my family and although it is oriented to an older / adult camp (which I appreciated), my kids (13 and 16), had fun, did great and got allot out of the experience. My wife, who didn't surf, enjoyed the camp ( beach, restaurant, etc), the surrounding town and activities Costa Rica offers. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. Not really having surfed much before, my confidence grew day by day with our instructor, Jorge Luis . Having the beach, boards and restaurant on premises really makes it easy. Rooms clean and food really good. The people who work there are great and the other campers are very friendly. The beach out front is great for beginners ( and then some) and they have boats and cars to take intermediates to near- by gorgeous beaches. I am hooked and look forward to returning - no need to look elsewhere; met many there who were back for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time. I can understand why.

Room Tip: Maybe a room further away from restaurant.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
WRSC, Public Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Hola Osvaldo,

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time with your whole family! You're right, no matter what the age, WRSC is your safest bet for a memorable Costa Rican vacation. I'll pass your kind message on to J. Luis. Happy to hear your making plans to come back! Hope to see you soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I came to Witch's Rock with a friend who was returning for the second time. He had tried another surf camp and realized how hard it was to beat this place so he came back. I am so glad I went with him.

This feels like adult summer camp. Witch's Rock has a fun, friendly, laid-back vibe overall that appears to attract like-minded people. Though I came knowing just one person, by day two I had a big group of surf friends.

I don't think I've ever spent an adult week living as happily stress-free as I did in Tamarindo. The location is gorgeous, the hotel is in good condition, and the rooms are kept very clean. The break at the beach in front of the hotel is perfect for beginners, and there are more advanced waves nearby.

I had only surfed several times the previous summer, but by the end of the week, I felt competent on the board and ready to move up to an intermediate level if I get the chance to come back. The instructors were all nice and good at helping us improve. I worked with one person throughout the week (Axcel, who was great), which was helpful because going into each day's lesson, he already knew what I was doing well with and what I needed to work on.

The town of Tamarindo is small but packed full of great places to eat and has beach/souvenir shops, surf stores, two mini-mart groceries, and at least one fun place for dancing. Don't miss the fresh coconuts being sold on the beach. The coconut water you sip from one of these tastes way better than the packaged stuff in NYC.

Room Tip: Book early! I got the last spot for the three-person female single travelers' room, and I booked...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hola MegO840

Happy to hear you trusted your friend and gave us a try. Haha yes this wouldn't be the first time we were compared to an "adult summer camp." It's a perfect atmosphere for people of all ages to learn the sport of surfing while making a few new friends along the way. I'll pass your kind words onto Axel. Thanks for the review! Hope to see you soon.

Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I've been to Witch's rock surf camp three times and every single time, I have had a blast. Everyone is great. It's like going home to family. My surfing has improved each time and I am happy to say I finally feel like I am ready to take it to the next level (off playa tamarindo and onto new bigger CR surf breaks).

I have surfed with different instructors at Witch's and all of them have been fantastic. They have remembered, supported, and applauded my progression each time. This time I had the pleasure of surfing with Erlyn, Josimar, Flash and Andres. I spent most of the week with Erlyn; he is kind, patient, thorough and really is a great teacher. You can also tell he really loves to teach.

I do feel I am safe and in good hands with the instructors here. Each of them offer their own perspective when it comes to teaching and as a result, I have learned a ton about surfing. I really love the Witch's Rock instructors.

What else can I say? Everyone I have brought to witch's with me, has fallen in love with the surf camp just as I have. Witch's Rock Surf Camp rocks.

Room Tip: Book way early so you can get a room! It's a small place and books fast.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hola Monfrate,

Glad to hear how enthusiastic you are about our camp as a 3-time returner. Each time you come, you become more and more a part of the WRSC family. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself with our programs and made some new friends along the way. Hope to see you again for trip number 4!

WRSC

Been to Witch's Rock Surf Camp? Share your experiences!