“Another Great Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Witch's Rock Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
You added Witch's Rock Surf Camp to your Saves list
Enfrente de Economy Rental Car | Playa Tamarindo, Tamarindo, Costa Rica   |
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Another Great Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I first came to WRSC on a guys trip with a group of college friends. We had a great time surfing perfect waves, at a variety of locations, and drinking cold beers. WRSC, a great place to come on a GUYS TRIP.

A year later I came with my wife so that she could learn to surf. The instructors were patient and knowledgeable. She was riding waves in a few days. WRSC, a great place to LEARN TO SURF.

This past Summer, my wife and I decided to book another trip for late November to come down and surf. As luck would have it, she ended up becoming pregnant. This meant no surfing for her and we wondered if we should cancel our trip - would there be enough to do at a surf camp for a pregnant lady? The answer was a resounding YES! My wife enjoyed walks on the beach, the unbelievable food at Joe's (BTW, from what I'm told, the only thing that surpasses the included breakfast after an early morning surf session is the included breakfast when you wake up in the morning and are pregnant) and the world's greatest sunsets.

The WRSC team also planned an unbelievable dinner for the two of us complete with fresh fish, lobster, ice cream and a full-out mariachi band. I'm so happy that my favorite place away from home is also so adaptable to the needs of anything from a guys trip to a romantic vacation (where I may have snuck in a few waves). WRSC, a great place for COUPLES TO HAVE HAVE FUN TOGETHER.

Room Tip: any room with an ocean view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I spent 7 days at Witch's Rock Surf Camp as a beginner / intermediate surfer. I've traveled as a solo traveler to numerous locations, and Witch's Rock was recommended to me by a friend. The setup makes it easy to meet other people traveling alone or in small groups (pairs or 3's), so I never felt like I was looking for something to do, even during down time.

The surf camp was well run. Surfing is not easy to learn as a beginner, but the instructors were patient and made sure that they taught to the experience of each individual. The video review of your own surfing helps the motivated surfer really learn fast, and the photography makes it fun. Many props to J Luis and Flash looking out for me on the waves. Maxi and Martinez for helping out at the board cage. And Fernando for making sure my beer mug was never empty at the end of a fun but exhausting day.

My only regret is that I chose a shared room because I wasn't sure how easy it was to meet people. That was completely unnecessary, as it was easy to meet people at the bar / restaurant. So I had to suffer through a guy who sawed logs at night as he snored. Unless you are looking to save the money, choose a single room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Buenos Aires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Really good vibe. Pura Vida all the way around. Great staff, cold drinks, beautiful beach, great surf instructors and warm water. The waves were excellent especially at high tide and in the morning. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfasts excellent. Dinners just ok. But lots of options up and down the beach. All around a great first surfing experience although more experienced surfers had a great time too as they can either surf the break at the beach or take a van or boat to other locations where the break is bigger. Most people stay the week and take lessons all week. We just did three days which was short but really worth it. The surf camp has a shuttle to and from the airport also which makes renting a car unnecessary.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I'm new to the surfing world and Witch's rock was a great choice for me an my buddy.

Their staff is awesome, the instructors are super patient and very helpful. The overall vibe of the place is just great. The prices are very reasonable compared with other places in tamarindo.

When you walk into the front desk as for PRU-PRU, that guy is amazing. He brought so much energy to our group that it was almost hard to say goodbye after a fantastic week.

Highly recommended, also, try to do the one day field trip to the La vieja Volcano.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
G-town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I just spend 12 days @ Witches Rock. It was great! Everyone was so very friendly. Really. Everyone! From the front desk, board cage, restauraunt staff, cleaning staff and surf instructors, everyone was great. We met people from all over the world, everyone was really pleasant. And most importantly the atmosphere was very laid back. It was super easy to meet and talk to everyone there. The town has plent of options for "tours" from jungle to volcano, ATV, boat trips, fishing. There is also a great used book store in town called "Jamie Peligro" with English, French, Dutch & German language books.
The hotel rooms were clean, functional, adequate and cool (temp wise). Showers were clean, water was hot and pressure was good. We were in rooms 2 &6 and never had problems with noise. Room 2 had better internet, room 6 has spotty internet at best. The internet wasnt really an issue as the restauraunt has a good signal. Room 6 has a beautiful ocean view.
The restauraunt was good. We had read that service was slow but we did not find this at all. We found that staff was very attentive, food was good, ceviche was excellent. Sushi was good. Reasonably priced compared to other places.
Surfing was great. I could not have asked for more! I was able to get up on day 1 after a few tries. Each day got better. Our main insrtuctor was J Luis. He seemed genuinely interested in my safety and was happy to see us get up and ride the waves. He gave great instruction and advice from board size to tweaking your feet/arms or whatever. And he was patient! We also had Axel and Paco 1 time each. Also both great! It was fun to watch some of these instructors catch waves too and good to know we were learning from great surfers. We met and shared some laughs with Robert August on a few occasions- what a funny character!
The board cage guys were very attentive, always remembered which board I liked and gave some good advice about which board to try next. They were very friendly and always had a smile. They are there early and always have things in order!
The front desk staff knows ALL! They can answer/arrange/fix mostly everything. They were always pleasant, gave great Spanish lessons and were patient as well. We met quite a few people who were returning for another trip @ Witch's Rock- some having come as many as 8 times. This itself is a testament to the place.
My advice? Go!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WRSC, Guest Relations Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
What a lovely review to read! Thanks for taking the time to write out all of our feedback in almost all of the important areas here at Witch's Rock. It is so helpful to other people trying to research their next surf camp destination.

We look forward to getting you guys back on board in the future.

Hasta la proxima...

Shawna
Cleveland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Sometimes a simple vacation can start out humble and turn out changing your life.

My wife had been eyeing Witch's Rock for many years, trying to find the perfect time for her and our daughter to venture down and learn to surf. Well, over the intervening years, we sold a family business, moved 2000kms away, both kids graduated from university and one got married but my wife still yearned for Witch's Rock. Finally, the stars aligned and we were able to go. She reluctantly substituted her daughter for her husband (me!) but that was a small price to pay ;-)

When we arrived, we were immediately struck by the fact that we were in real Costa Rica, not some rich hotel developer's view of what Costa Rica should be. Real people, real warmth. Little did we know that we would test just how real these folks were over the coming days. You see after all this planning, my wife suffered a medical emergency and we were about to see Costa Rica from a whole new perspective as we fought to keep her alive. I'm tearing up as I write this and it's been a month since the ordeal but I still cannot believe how much everyone at Witch's Rock cared about our well-being and provided us with whatever we needed to make it through. I don't speak Spanish and so I had to make decisions by looking deep into everyone's eyes to determine if I saw kindness or greed and I am happy to report that we only experienced warmth and caring from the Costa Rican people even when I got completely lost in crazy downtown San Jose looking for a drug store. After a frightening emergency air-lift to Clinica Biblica and subsequent emergency operation, we were back at Witch's Rock a few days later for some true R&R. Again, everyone from the wait staff to the front desk staff to the the surf board locker staff all the way to the CEO showed nothing but compassion and concern for her well-being. Thank you Shawna for orchestrating such a great response from such a great group of people.

Oh and by the way, the surfing was great too! Thanks Axel and J. Luis for teaching us to surf. Thank you Maxi for preparing our favourite surf boards just the way we liked them, with a smile, even at 6am!

Now if you folks could only warm up the cold waters off Cape Breton Island to 82F then it would confirm my suspicion that you are all super-human. We WILL be back... many times.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for writing this amazing review! Along the 12 years that we have been open, your wife's medical emergency was a first for us as well, and I can only imagine how scary it would have been for you guys to have to trust a medical system that you are completely unfamiliar with, speaking a completely different language. We were so relieved to hear that everything had gone as well as it could have, in San Jose, and you guys were coming back for relaxation and recovery afterwards.

We hope we can get your wife back down here one day (and you), so that she can fulfill her dream of surfing at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, but this time in much better health!

Pura Vida - you guys were a pleasure to have down here!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Having travelled extensively all over the world I can say that WRSC is one of the top locations for enjoying your free time, meeting new and interesting people, learning about and experiencing surfing and other saltwater activities and just having a damn great time. Beyond the incredible natural beauty (flora, fauna, geography and female!) the overall atmosphere matches or exceeds the expectations set by the visuals.

I planned and booked an eight day surf camp at the last minute and the staff made this easy beyond belief. Especially considering I was coming from The Middle of Nowhere, Afghanistan. They were prompt with emails and even called me on my AFG cell phone. Everything went smooth as a cold glass of Imperial beer. Five days into my trip I decided to stay the entire 15 days I had for combat rest and relaxation. Again, at the last minute, the staff set up my adjusted plan. I did stay in the partner hotel, Laguna Del Cocodrilo for my entire stay. This hotel is a 5 minute walk north of WRSC. The staff at LDC were just as friendly and helpful. They also have a true French bakery, the owner is a French lady and they make the best key lime pie and other treats as well as baguettes and other French and local baked goods. Grab a coffee, a slice of tart lime pie and watch the sunrise hit the Pacific. And then head down to WRSC for the surfer fuel breakfast. Obviously the tides will determine some of the scheduling but with a river break and steady swells, you can pretty much go out anytime. The main swells, without significant wind, tended to be a dense, gentle break that is perfect for beginners with other areas that break a bit faster for those looking for a bit more speed. The surf instructors were really knowledgeable and all had major experience, including professional competition, that they are happy to share when teaching or tweaking your style. Drinks were great, food was great, people are awesome. Pura Vida Compadres! Cheers!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Super stoked to hear that you had an amazing vacation, which was a much deserved trip for you! We have also passed on your review to our lovely people at the Cocodrilo, who played a big part in making your vacation relaxed.

Hope you can come back again sometime in the future & pura vida Drew!

Shawna

Been to Witch's Rock Surf Camp? Share your experiences!