“Great place to learn to surf!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Witch's Rock Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
Enfrente de Economy Rental Car | Playa Tamarindo, Tamarindo, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 22 hotels in Tamarindo
Rochester, New York
“Great place to learn to surf!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I didn't actually stay overnight at the surf camp, but I went there for a day to learn to surf. Not only did I have the time of, but the instruction was superb! Erlyn was my instructor and he was very thorough, knowledgeable and very safety conscious. He had me up on my feet in no time. We had a blast!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

343 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Bainbridge Island, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Thanks to Pat, the owners, and staff of this establishment, we had the most amazing and wonderful vacation - even during the rainy season! We have fallen in love with Tamarindo and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: We actually slept up at La Colina instead of at Witch's Rock, but we were down at the camp every...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ft. Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went to WRSC for my husband's birthday Oct/Nov 2011 (box below only lets me go back to Dec'11) during their Fall special (buy surf camp, get room free--what a deal!). First of all, obviously most people are there to surf; my husband loved the lessons, learned a lot, and can't wait to go back. The surprise was that I enjoyed it, too! ;)
This "hotel" is very camp-like in its simplicity (no tvs in rooms), but it is clean & comfortable & sufficient in every way. More than that, though, the center of the place is "Joe's," the bar/restaurant where everyone hangs out when they aren't surfing. The food is good and well-priced (breakfast is included with the room). Best of all, there is always company, even if your own companion is out in the water. We made lots of friends, many traveling as singles from all over the world, that we now keep up with online. (Like camp, right?!) The pool is a nice refresher after surfing or just to cool off; don't expect to do laps, though, as it is "extra-large spa" size. There is also a sand volleyball net for pick-up games.
And I haven't even mentioned the beach yet! WRSC is right on the beach, which is uncrowded, clean, and a perfect place for walking, shelling, sitting back with the camera for surf-photography, or just resting in the sun (it's intense, btw, so don't forget your sunscreen!). It is also just a (longer) walk to the river taxi and across to Playa Grande, where you can see sea turtle nests and a million sand dollars!
Finally, the town of Tamarindo has some small pleasures to offer, too, though don't expect fancy shopping or fine dining. It is quite safe to walk through town, even at night--though I don't suggest the beach, as you can't see your hand in front of your face it is so dark! Just use your common sense & stay with a friend or 2, no matter what. (A small flashlight wouldn't hurt either.) Oh, and Cuidado los cocodrilos! :)
Q: Would you take your kids there? A: Kids are welcome at WRSC. In fact, Joe's family lives there! I would take my kids, but then I'd miss all the lazying around (I mean, really, there's a hammock right in the bar!) and drinking margaritas in the afternoon with new world-traveler friends. But, you know, you could. ;)

Room Tip: The Sunset room upstairs is THE BEST ROOM IN THE HOUSE! :) (just don't take it when I want it...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Costa Mesa, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We found this place by accident, and we were glad we did! We were forced to check out of a different hotel due to weather and we happened upon this place while looking for breakfast. Got the last room too. We do not surf, but really like the way the hotel was set up with the bar/dinning area and the fact it was right on the beach. Food was actually really good (best sushi of the trip) and the prices were very reasonable. Lots to do in town and you could walk to everything you can think of. The staff was very friendly too! The only downside would be if your a couple looking for a romantic place. This place seems like it caters more to the surf/party/hiker crowd, not that there is anything wrong with that (we definitely drank our share of booze), but is just seemed like it was a great bar first, then the hotel was added as an afterthought. Would we stay here again? You bet, as long as we also had a couple nights in a "quieter more romantic" place also.

Room Tip: Someplace away from the courtyard
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I would recommand this place to everyone.
I've been there for a week in September as a solo traveler and I had a blast!
During low season, the room is free, you only pay for the surf package. So for less than 600$, you can surf for a week, breakfast are included!!! That's the best deal I found.

All the staff is so cool, everyone's always smiling...
The surf instructor are all very kind and patient. You can ask to have the same instructor for all week.
The restaurant staff is funny and the food is good!

I'll definitely come back next year!

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

My husband and my 15yr old stepdaughter stayed here for a week. We really enjoyed ourselves. Accomodations - clean, no bugs, cute, simple, small hotel. feels like family. (Note - you can't flush toilet paper ANYWHERE in Tamarindo, you'll get used to it) Staff - friendly, accomodating, cool people. Surf lessons - had two great teachers, took seminars from other great teachers - highly recommended. It was easy and fun. The surf - perfect for ANY level. we were noobs, and loved it! water - warm and inviting. We went in mid august and had great weather. Restaurant - yum! you'll find only a handful of restaurants to eat at, Eat at Joes will be one of them. Overall - I know there is a million places to surf in the world, but I want to go back HERE! we only took one trip into the jungle because we had so much fun surfing! ps. even if you aren't that good at surfing, you will still have a blast! Thanks WRSC for creating your dream so we can live out our dream!

Room Tip: all rooms seem great as this is a small place. You won't spend so much time in your room as you...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I've been to WRSC 3 times over the last several years, so I'm obviously a fan of the place. There are a lot of really good things about it - inexpensive, located right on the beach, clean rooms (while basic, the pillows aren't as bad as HawaiianStyle808 would have you believe), friendly staff, decent food, and while I didn't learn to surf there, everyone that I've met who did had a good experience.

Where I think they could dial it in more is with the surfing programs. They're definitely moving in the right direction with the recent addition of the intermediate group (it used to be just surf lessons and advanced tours). But I think there's room for a level in between intermediate and advanced. I don't want to generalize, but most of the people in the advanced level that I've met are experienced surfers in their 30's, 40's and 50's who want to get out there twice a day, but don't really want to charge the heavy, overhead stuff (and my guess is the guys who really want to go big probably aren't coming to WRSC). But currently, the advanced level seems to go for the biggest waves available, leaving a lot of us sitting on the shoulder of the wave, on the beach, or in the boat. So I think they should add a high advanced and a low advanced - they were running two boats for advanced when I was there anyway. I think they (Ok, you, since I know you guys at WRSC are reading this) would find that there's a lot of clients who'd really go for it. And for me, it would take the place from really good to really great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
WRSC, General Manager at Witch's Rock Surf Camp, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thanks for the insights. We are always trying to dial in our surf programs, and you make a very valid point about the distinction between "advanced surfer but not looking for huge waves" or "take me to the biggest waves you can find". We agree with your general assessment that most of our advanced tour guests tend to be seasoned surfers with a lot of experience and skill, not necessarily rubbery fearless youth willing to charge anything (though we do get those too). We'll be brainstorming ways we can better implement what you are suggesting. It's a good idea. Give us a call this week if you want, we'd love to talk to you more about it.

Yana Farrally-Plourde
Chief Operating Officer
Witch's Rock Industries

Been to Witch's Rock Surf Camp? Share your experiences!