“Om Sweet Om” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
Evergreen, Colorado
“Om Sweet Om”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Peace, great food, yoga and three lovely proprietors! You can not go wrong with a visit to Panacea de la Montana! I needed to reset myself after a perceived month of stress. Panacea set me straight within hours of arriving here, relaxation set in immediately. The place and the people have great energy, the price charged was fair for the quality of food and accommodations, the yoga classes, (tailored to individual needs), were awesome. Did I mention how great the food was? Buy the cookbook! I can finally make great tasting beans (thanks to the awesome cookbook/Debbie)!

I spent extra and got Thai massage, ayurvedic massage, reflexology, and horse riding with Steven. All well worth it. Mary will connect you with the best in the business!

Mary, Peter and Debbie are all so very accommodating and helpful. Mary was quick to respond to my inquiries and questions via email. And then again she helped with the trip planning, and scheduling of spa services, and activities, she truly extends herself to help her guests. All three are gentle teachers, I arrived at Panacea with the idea of doing some yoga and getting a few spa treatments, through a subtle process the trio imparted little lessons that transformed my stay into so much more; a major change in attitude for me: I cook better, I think clearer, I saw interesting things, I had fun. They truly are good people! Thanks guys!

I thought that I would miss staying at the beach, but I did not. I had all the peace I needed at Panacea, and went into town once or twice to stick my toes in the ocean. Honestly, I was not impressed with Tamarindo town/beach. But, perhaps it's just me. I am pretty particular about what I want out of a strictly beach vacation (for me Maho.org on St. John) But Panacea is so much more than a beach vacation, it does not disappoint!

If you want to get off the beaten, touristy path, go here. If you want to calm down, go here. If you want to eat great food and feel great about what you are eating, go here. If you want a simple, clean place to stay with a quiet beauty, go here. If you want to recharge your yoga practice, go here. If you want to feel grounded, and reconnected, go here. If you want to be in tune with nature, go here. Go to Panacea, you will not regret it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Panacea de la Montana is the perfect place to get back in-tune with your body and mind. I stayed 10 nights and followed a routine of getting-up at 5:30am, coffee at 6:00am, lovely morning chats with Mary, Debbie and Peter (the owners) and greetings from Pepper (a very cute puppy that I wanted to take home), yoga class at 7am, vegetarian breakfast at 9am, the beach shuttle at 10:30—and that's just how the days began!

How you decide to engage with “the mountain” is entirely up to you; most of the guests who stayed while I was there chose the “adventure” package while I chose a tailored “rejuvenator” stay with the Life Plan. Working with Mary to develop this plan, helped me to identify a yoga routine that connected to opening my heart and mind, keeping balanced and grounded.

I wanted a vacation where I could take back a little of what I experienced, and, although, I couldn't bring the long walks to the cabina (cabin), Debbie's flair for cooking (albeit I did buy the Panacea cookbook), my talks with Peter, the gorgeous views, porch hammock and, of course, Pepper back with me to NYC, Panacea de la Montana left a deep imprint of peace that now goes with me everywhere. This is a place you must definitely visit!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Clinton Corners, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I just spent 5 days at this lovely mountain yoga center with a great group of women. Mary is a wonderful yoga teacher and her morning yoga class was a special treat for me (being a yoga teacher myself). The rooms are quiet and peaceful, I especially loved the hammock for afternoon reading and napping. The rooms ARE a hike, so one needs to be sturdy - but great exercise. The food is amazing and the people (Debbie, Peter, and Mary) are great hosts. We enjoyed many spirited conversations over the delicious meals.
For me, vacation is about relaxing, and that is what I did - yoga, reading, hanging out in the pool, having a massage, eating and sleeping.... Panacea is the perfect setting for such a vacation!

Room Tip: ask for the rooms closest to the main area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
clinton corners NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is a perfect place for a solo traveler or for friends who want a quiet retreat. Panacea was advertising adventure travel when we were there but I was happy just to wake up in a beautiful place, enjoy an excellent yoga class in a big open air space, and then float in the infinity pool overlooking the green valley. The cabins are stacked on a mountainside and the climb is not for everyone. That said, the view from our cabin called Estrella was a treat all times of day. The food is excellent vegetarian served family style. BYO from Duty Free or the shop in town. You will love the owners and you will never forget the sight and sound of Howler monkeys up close and personal.

Room Tip: Lower cabins are an easier walk. Upper ones have a better view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

We left New York at 9 am and were poolside drinking fresh fruit smoothies by1:30! All seven of us needed a week of relaxation and yoga to get back on track and we couldn't be happier. I am a beach person and was not sure of staying out of town. Panacea had cool mountain breezes, stunning vistas, and clean cute cabinas nestled in the hill side. After yoga and a fantastic breakfast Panacea offers beach shuttles every day into tamarindo, the small town on a magnificent beach to go surfing or shopping. The beach culture is fun but I was so happy to return to the mountain at Panacea and some days never left! This is a hidden gem I will return as often as possible. Amaze

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Oswego, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My friend and I did a girls' trip to Panacea. It was absolutely perfect. We both were new to yoga, and the teacher (Mary) was fantastic and so inspiring that we both have continued at home, and plan to make yoga a permanent part of our daily routine. The food was so good (Debbie), that we have also converted to almost completely vegetarian. Peter offered a great reflexology session, and was a superb tour guide/ hiking guide. It was our first time visiting Costa Rica, and Panacea is what made the trip amazing. We usually try different places when we travel, but are already planning a return visit here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Fabulous retreat. Wonderful way to get away from it all. Beautiful setting. Yoga was great. Water aerobics was fun. Family style dining made us feel like we were part of the family. The cabinas were charming and comfortable. Mary, Debbie and Peter were very nice and helpful. We couldn't have asked for anything better.

Room Tip: The higher up the mountain your cabina is, the more privacy you have.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Panacea de la Montana Yoga Retreat & Spa? Share your experiences!