“Incredible!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 23 hotels in Tamarindo
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Incredible!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have had the pleasure in my life of travelling to many places and I was not sure what to expect when I first arrived at
Los Altos de Eros. I did see all these glowing reviews on trip Advisor, but there have been times when they have not lived up to the glowing reviews. This is not the case here! As soon as you arrive it is first class service! The food, the people and most of all the SPA!!! My massage was the best I had ever had and I have been getting a massage weekly for the last 30 years! If you feel you need a real Vacation this is the place to be! Enjoy Relax.......Pura Vida!

Room Tip: We were in the king and love it....
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

504 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We read the reviews before we came so our expectations were set pretty high.We arrived 2 days before Christmas and stayed for 6 nights. From the moment we arrived there were smiling faces to great us at the door. We were taken upstairs to our suite which was quite large and the view was spectacular. While we unpacked a fresh gourmet lunch was being prepared just for us, as everyone else had already eaten and we had the entire place to ourselves. Oh yes and after our amazing lunch we were asked if we would like dessert? We looked at each other and knew we had picked the right place! That night we met 3 other couples staying there there are only 6 rooms which is nice, it never seemed to crowded or noisy just really relaxing and peaceful. We all had dinner that evening and had a nice time getting to know one another. The next morning we had breakfast which was delicious, I went on a 3 mile hike afterwards with Jacqueline one of the owners and also one of the nicest people I have ever met! After that my husband and I did the sunset catamaran&snorkel. That was a blast. Each morning COCO the cutest chocolate lab ever would greet me on my way to do either pilates with Jacqueline or yoga. Then you hear a noise and you look up and you see Howler Monkeys above you! So amazing one of my favorite parts of the trip for sure. My husband and I went fishing, he played golf, we went to Tamarindo beach and walked around the town. And I took the Tuesday cooking class which I highly recommend, a lot of fun for sure. We also did the couples massage and dinner in the spa which we had all to ourselves for the entire evening a must do for sure. Our laundry was done everyday, we wanted for nothing the whole trip. A driver to take you any where you want at anytime, freshly baked cookies, smoothies made to order as you lay by the infinity pool with nothing but peace and quiet. Someone always making sure you were happy at all times and had everything you needed. No screaming children, no one trying to sell you anything, no cheesy gift shops, just Pura Vida all good!!! This is our 3rd trip to Costa Rica and by far this is the best. We cant wait to come back. To all the staff at LADE thank you for everything you made our trip a time to remember. And a special THANK YOU to Jacqueline&Calvin you really made us feel welcome, and of course COCO what a great dog!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
An island in Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The setting is amazing, not many customers, almost had the place to ourselves.
As others have said, the massage was the best I have ever had. So warm to lay on the open air tables and not feel a chill. The masseuse had just the right amount of pressure - not too little - I hate a wimpy massage! My next service was a coconut cream scrub - also amazing! My third service in my package was a manicure - I hate to say it, but it wasn't good. The girl didn't really seem like she had training in this dept. Worst of all, the nail polish used never set up (stayed gooey) and was a mess by the time I got back to my hotel. My friend had a pedicure and it was fine.
Lunch and wine were included and was also great!
I would definitely go back to this spa, and perhaps even get to stay there next time! My massage experience has set my standard from now on - I don't think I'll find it again though!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Horsham, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I don't know where to begin...the location, service, views, food, people - All were amazing.
We planned this trip for our 20th anniversary, my sister recommended it. (She had been there 5 years earlier) My husband and I travel a lot and we were looking for something different for our anniversary. LADE exceeded every expectation.

We were greeted at the airport and driven to our hotel (they drive you everywhere as part of the experience) We drove unpaved dirt roads and when we turned up a very steep dirt road to get to the hotel, my husband looked at me and said "Where are you taking me??" Well, all doubts were dismissed when we walked through the doors and saw the most amazing view! We never wanted to leave!

We were the only guests our first night and they prepared a romantic dinner for two by the pool. The staff couldn't do enough for us. The food was fresh and delicious. We had dinner every night at LADE there really was no reason to leave. Ever meal was a surprise, but it was always amazing.

We enjoyed the Couples Sunset Massage. An absolute must do!! It's a night we will never forget. They close the open air spa to the rest of the guests and you have complete privacy for the entire night. We both enjoyed a massage, then we went out by the jacuzzi and enjoyed champagne and strawberries. They served dinner an hour later, we relaxed, enjoyed the jacuzzi and looked at the most amazing sunset with the sounds that could put you to sleep.

Our room was the detached King and it was spacious and quiet (it is dark most of the day, the other rooms were much brighter, but we loved it). The room had an outdoor seating area with chairs and lounges with a tv (not that we watched it that much) but it made your living area seem much larger. Every morning Coco, the chocolate lab "watch dog," joined us on our deck and hung out while we enjoyed our Costa Rican coffee.

The staff did our laundry, planned our trips, cooked every meal. It was glorious!
One of my favorite memories was when we returned from our Zip-lining adventure. We had missed lunch, but they welcomed us "home", asked how our trip was and said that our lunch would be served in 5 minutes. Where do you get service like that? We sat down to a delicious pesto pasta meal with fresh salad and a yummy dessert!

We met several couples throughout the week and we really enjoyed the communal eating arrangements. The rest of the couples ate every meal there as well.

When I went on Trip Advisor to look at the reviews for LADE I couldn't believe this place could live up to the reviews and expectations. Well, LADE does meet and exceeds all your expectations. This is a must go vacation!

Room Tip: The detached King Room is private and the outdoor patio with lounge chairs and tv is a nice addition...
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I can only rate the spa, and the beautiful surroundings of the hotel as I did not stay here. While strolling in Tamarindo one day, these lovely ladies handed me a brochure advertising a spa day at this beautiful boutique hotel. I decided to indulge - and it was one of the best days of my wonderful vacation! I was picked up at the door of my condo by Francisco, and driven up to this beautiful spot, on a mountain perch, overlooking jungle and the Pacific. I was greeted by Maria, my spa esthetician/masseuse, and taken to a glorious open air, palapa-roofed spa. The package included your choice of 3 treatments. My first was an hour and a half complete body massage. One of the best I ever had. Did I mention you are lying on your massage table looking out over the glorious view? Listening to birds and howler monkeys. And the sweet smell of lilies. Now it was time for a break, and a beautifully prepared lunch (including wine), then I had a volcanic mud wrap, followed by a facial of yogurt and honey. All products are totally organic. It was truly wonderful. Once I was done, I asked if I could see a room (there are only 5, I believe). The place is amazing. I would love to stay there sometime with a group of friends. I was driven back to my condo in town. A truly memorable day and an experience I highly recommend for people who enjoy a little pampering now and again.

Matteson, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

OK. I'm trying to find words for this place, Adult only! This place is in the mountains! My husband and I went with 3 other couples on this trip. When we arrived, it was breath taking. The view of the mountains every morning, and the room side pool was lovely. The food was great, each day was different and it tasted so fresh. The fruit was awesome, it was like nothing that I have ever tasted in Illinois. You can opt to go in to town to eat, but you won't find anything better to eat. The staff spoiled us so much, Ari and the kitchen staff; whatever you wanted they got it for you. The customer service was impeccable! My husband and I had a sunset message at the spa, which is right on the grounds. With champaign, strawberries, and the view, it was truly unbelievable! If you go, the sunset message is a must. The owner, Calvin and his wife Jackie were very nice and friendly. The security dog, kept us safe! The zip line canopy tour was great- 2hours; the horseback riding tour was a little long, but when we got to the beach and the sun was setting, it was extremely gorgeous and very nice to ride the horses on the beach at sunset! They coordiate all tours for you. The place is paradise. The outdoor shower in your bathroom was so serene!! That was the best shower ever! They wash your clothes for you everyday! THE PLACE IS PARADISE ON EARTH! We've been to lots of carribean places, this is at the top of the list by far. IT IS A MUST THAT YOU GO TO THIS PLACE! We will be back soon! Also, they pick you up from the airport, they are there waiting on you. Loved every moment of Los Altos De Eros! C. & A. Minter from Illinois.

Room Tip: The King size room was fabulous just enough room.
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Have any friends with a house in the Hamptons? Does this house have a staff to wait on you hand and foot? Yes? Great, you've arrived at your friend's home. If not, welcome to your friend's house and get ready for a relaxing and wonderful stay with friends who feel like family and a feeling of being home. (This is long, sorry, but it's all here including Things Not to Miss and Things to Know Before You Go)

LADE was our last stop on a ten day honeymoon and what a way to end it all. It took me about 12 hours to really "get into" LADE but once I did I never wanted to leave and I want to go back…like now. It's on a hilltop and it's a bumpy 20 minute or so (Costarican massage) car ride away from Tamarindo. I felt secluded at first but like I said, once it hit me that I was "home," nothing else mattered. So get over the car ride and get into the pool. We stayed in the honeymoon suite upstairs and it felt like my own bedroom but better. This is not a stuffy, chain hotel, everything perfect type of room – it's one that feels strangely familiar. The chairs overlooking the pool and jungle are great for enjoying a drink at sunset.

This hotel is best appreciated and enjoyed if you want to stay in one location, swim in a pool, sit on a lounge chair, read books, nap, eat good food and get the most amazing spa services of your life. Yeah, of-your-life. Not kidding either. Take it from this spa snob – you will not experience anything like this anywhere else in the world. The massages I had at LADE are world-class, pay a million dollars to feel like this – and they don’t cost a million. In fact, they were half off because we were staying on property so you bet we had daily massages. The open-air treatment rooms, each overlooking a mist draped jungle is breathtaking. This is paradise. Did I mention the AMAZING and WONDERFUL, BEST STAFF IN THE WORLD? If I didn't, go and experience customer care to the fullest. The staff is beyond perfect. We even met the owner, chatted with him and got a tour of his (fabulous) on-property home. I have not one complaint about this staff. Not one. Kind, thoughtful, accommodating...PERFECT. The staff is a family and they treat you like one of their own.

*Note: I had bad sun poisoning while we were there. I don’t recommend anyone attempt to get this so cover up all you light skinned folks, wear sunscreen and a hat. Remember you’re a lot closer to the equator than you think. Anyway, the staff at LADE took such amazing care of me. Ice, medicine, broth, tea…they have their own private doctor a mile or so away who is on call in case anyone gets ill – they are ready for anything and everything. Needless to say I was better in the morning but the only reason my husband slept that night was because he and I both knew that if I needed serious medical care, LADE would make sure I got it and lived. The people at LADE are amazing.

If you don’t like other hotel guests and appreciate the anonymity of a larger resort then go somewhere else - LADE is not the place for you. For me, I don’t want to eat with people I don’t know and the communal aspect of this location was overwhelming from the first moment we got in the van to go to the hotel with the other couple (who talked nonstop during the 90 minute ride to the hotel and every time we say them after that). Lucky for us there was only this one other couple in the entire hotel and they left a day before us. We rarely saw them and since there were only two couples, the staff...the amazing and wonderful staff... let us move around breakfast time so we could eat by ourselves. We ventured off property so we really didn’t see these folks all that much. They were nice and once I put my big girl pants on I got over this part of the stay everything was perfect. If we return, I would like to bring a bunch of friends and fill up the six or so rooms so I know everyone and we can have the whole property to ourselves. Now, THAT, would be an amazing vacation. Family and friends only.

Things to know before you go:
1. There are house geckos all over the ceilings at night – they are awesome. They’re albino, they scurry up and down the walls and they chirp all the time. I want a house gecko for myself now because they are cool – but I don’t ever want to touch one. They aren’t going to climb on you so get over this if you’re all weird with bugs and stuff.
2. The house is open air so you’re going to see a few bugs, a frog or two and monkeys. Embrace the environment, suck it up and love every minute of this paradise…or don’t go. Up to you.
3. The town of Tamarindo is not classy, rather, this is a modern day dirty hippy, back packing, surfer town with muddy roads and beachside bars. Do you like to get drunk? Tamarindo seems like a good spot for drinking. If not, I don’t suggest you hit up Tamarindo (needless to say I DID see an AA meeting near the beach so there are sober folks there). If you want to surf and you’re not into luxury this is a good spot. Unfortunately, my “modern day dirty hippy” days are over so next time I would pass on Tamarindo and stay up at LADE the whole time.
4. The owner of the property loves the female form and you'll see beautiful paintings and sculptures depicting them around the property. If you're a prude - go somewhere else. If you appreciate art, there are some really lovely pieces.

Things not to miss at LADE:
1. Get a private dinner down in the spa
2. Get a massage every single day and thank me when you return. Facials and body wraps are awesome too but you can’t miss the massages.
3. We didn’t do it but I heard the cooking class was great (from those other talkative guests and they told us ALL about it)
4. Go deep sea fishing with the company LADE books with – FABULOUS captain who loved to fish as much as my fishing-crazy husband (and he’s a fishing writer so you bet we had a ball out there). We ended up going out for two days the guy was so good.
5. Eat dinner at LADE. Breakfast and lunch are included but dinner is not to be missed. Loved the food!

*LADE is a very special place with special people who make you feel like the special person you are. I loved it, I would go again. Hope you love it too!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Los Altos de Eros? Share your experiences!