“Wish we'd stayed elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Luna Llena to your Saves list
Booking.com Expedia.com
Hotel Luna Llena
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Calle Real | Playa Tamarindo, Tamarindo 5150, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 29 Tamarindo B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wish we'd stayed elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Beware the cute exterior and nice brochures--this place is a hot mess. We stayed at Luna llena in 2010 and found it fabulous with cute bungalows that slept 3-4 people with a kitchen, good pool, sushi bar, offering excellent value with a location off the beaten path. Now "fabulous" is just a word I'd use to describe how I felt leaving it this morning. I guess when i checked into the room and there were packets of raid it should have clued me into the bug problem; red ants crawled all over the walls every night. Saw a good number of spiders, too. And got bitten a lot. This was not an issue last stay. I told the girl at the front desk and she hardly seemed surprised or sorry. She said someone would come spray. When I checked back later to ask if someone came she said she didn't know--it was too busy that morning. At that time I asked for beach towels. She said they didn't have any--all towels were in the wash. Ok.. Then our air conditioner broke. I asked someone else to look into that. Hours later it was still not working. They sent someone to look and he couldn't figure it out. My boyfriend went around back & flipped the breaker and it worked. Then there's the lack of general upkeep; Tiles are falling off of the jacuzzi (which doesn't work), a piece of our roof was missing and an iguana we named jub jub lived in there, the towels are old and ratty, bungalows have noticeable mold on them, and everything just seems to be falling apart. I'd think it was just our bungalow (#2) but our friends next door also had a bug problem and remarked about the lack of upkeep of the place (they also stayed there in 2010). I'd urge anyone considering staying here to reconsider unless you're ok with a sub-par stay.

• Stayed February 2013
HOTELLUNALLENA, Proprietario at Hotel Luna Llena, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Hello,
My name is Pino Trimarchi and i am the Hotel Luna Llena owner and manager
I just read this review and i think that there is something wrong,
This Lady lie about packet of Raid in the room because we never use it .
And the Lady lies again when she speaks about the A/C (we changed 2 breakers) and the A/C was working fine.
Also it's not true that the staff wasn't helpful or interested in helping the clients, i personally spoke with this lady explaining her what's happen with the A/C and I personally went to therir room at 10 in the night to check the a/c.......and when i arrived at the bungalow the A/C was working....
Also she lies again when she speaks about the Jacuzzy that wasn't working, probably she has only to ask for the things she need instead of following her fantasy...............
But anyway i want to analize and understand the situation.................
We sprayed the outside of the bungalow #2 every day (2 times a day) during the stay of this client and we sprayed the inside of the bungalow each 2 days as i personally explained to this lady telling her that was not healthy for them to breed Raid every night. She agreed this.......................
I understand that there are people that are obssessed and have problems not only for "bugs" but also for normal ants, please don't forget that we are in a rural area, .
Honestly it was more a problem of the client than a realty. Was not an "ant" invasion but only few ants on the walls...
Please understand that Costa Rica is different from a modern city everywhere in the world........
Another strange things is that the client never complained about nothing at the Hotel and this is weird because i can't imagine this lady keep silence if she don't like something.....
Now my question is: why to stay at the Hotel if you don't want??? We never charge in advance at our clients so no problem to move for another place.......
The last thing is that nothig is missing from the roof of bungalow #2 (another lies) and our towels are NOT old and ratty, YES it's true that we don't offer to our guest beach towel for a very simple reason: the sand it's a big problem for the washing machines.
About the maintenance of the Hotel the Lady stated that "everything it's falling down" but this is a personal idea of this lady that for sure is not an architect.
Best regards.

Pino Trimarchi
HOTEL LUNA LLENA

117 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is a cute place from the outside, nice looking pool and bar area and is within walking distance to town and the beach. Nice tile shower.
I didn't stay in one of the bungalows so I can only fairly review the standard room which was a small, run down room that smelled musty. I would not recommend staying in one of these rooms. They seem old and dingy, just overall yucky. It has a bed, an older model tv,A/C and not much more. Staff did their job but didn't seem especially helpful or even friendly.
They advertise a "breakfast buffet" which was not even close to a buffet but a small complementary basket of toast and jelly, juice and coffee or a small plate of rice, beans and scrambled eggs. I had to laugh at this. At least it is served complementary and in a cute little outdoor bistro type "restaurant". I never did find any food served at any other time of day or any real restaurant so if it is there, I never saw it! Internet didn't work for a full day. No refrigeration or even ice available for the room.
Overall, cute and convenient but I cannot recommend staying overnight here.

Room Tip: Standard room not recommended.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

First off the positives:
-it was walking distance to everything so that was great
-the bed was comfortable
-nice pool
-breakfast was good (kinda small though)
-super friendly staff

Negatives:
-charged more than advertised
-tons of ants/millipedes/stinkbugs/other creatures in the room
-internet did not work in the room
-didn't have our room ready as they were not expecting us

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
North Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This is a nice little spot just off the beaten path in Tamarindo, but walking distance to everything. We stayed in a bungalow unit which was clean and spacious, staff was friendly and helpful, and price is very reasonable. I enjoyed the atmosphere with plenty of happy cats and dogs milling about, and the building structures allowing for some free flowing air (and the odd gecko) in from the outside.
My only discomfort is that the mattresses are foam, which we are not used to and thus proved for a bit of a restless sleep. We stayed mid week just before the busy season so not sure if the noise level of the gravel road becomes an issue during busy season or on weekends as you do clearly hear each passing vehicle that goes by.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed in 2 upstairs room. We loved the decor. The rooms are individually designed, both had big bathrooms and nice balconies. There were some ants around and the first room did have some funny odor in the bathroom. But nothing that bothered us too much.
It was still low season so for the most part there were only very few guests, weekends got busier.
We didn't mind the short walk to the beach and enjoyed the surfing and great food choices around town. Overall, it's a small but busy beach town with things to keep you entertained if you want.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. We will come back. Thank you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
tamarindo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

peacefull and paradise place near the ocean
best italian restaurant in town
very friendly family
near surf spot
Simona,Pino;martina & Sara...the best!!!!.....................................................
.....................................................................................................................

Room Tip: bungalow is the best
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed in a bungalow for a month and it was complete with everything from kitchen supplies to AC to TV. We had a wonderful stay! My daughter loved the beautiful colors in the room. The hotel was always clean and the friendly and very helpful staff went out of their way to meet any needs we had. It is just a short walk from everthing in town and to the beach. It was nice and quiet. Breakfast was delicious and the kitchen staff remembered what we liked. Although it's close to the beach, it was nice to have the pool too. The wifi came in handy. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel and would certainly stay there again if I find myself again in Tamarindo.

Room Tip: Bungalows are good for families as the kids have their own room. Bungalows are equipped with a kitch...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Luna Llena? Share your experiences!