“Sleepless in Tamarindo” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Luna Llena

You added Hotel Luna Llena to your Saves list
Hotel Luna Llena
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Calle Real | Playa Tamarindo, Tamarindo 5150, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #21 of 36 Tamarindo B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Sleepless in Tamarindo”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

This hotel is simple and charming but it's not for people who have back problems or are sensitive to noise. As others have pointed out, it's more of a hostel. At all costs, avoid room number 12. It is right over the entrance to the hotel and the front desk, and is probably the noisiest room in the place. The windows are louvered, so they can't block out the noise or the heat, even when the air conditioning is on. One night the sports bar down the street had a special permit to play loud music until 1:00 a.m. Even with ear plugs, I could still hear the music. And then the howler monkeys started up at 5:00 a.m. I tried each of the three saggy beds in the room and each gave me a backache. All in all, those four days of our vacation were a writeoff. If we'd had another room, our stay could have been pleasant, I guess.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
HOTELLUNALLENA, Direttore at Hotel Luna Llena, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Hello,
My name is Pino and I am the manager of the Hotel Luna Llena.
I am sorry to read you bad review about our Hotel because there are some points that are not under the Hotel responsibility.
-The first point it’s about the music.
I understand your complain for the loud music of the Restaurant located 2 blocks from the Hotel but it’s not our responsibility.
As I told that night by phone when you call the reception, i called the local Police Station to ask what’s was happening and Police explained me that they had all the regular permits to play music through 1.00AM.
So I think that if they are totally respectful of the Costa Rican law they can play live music……and don't forget also that was the night of the Super Bowl and for the American people it's party time. As you wrote on your review you stayed 4 nights at the Hotel and the music only was on Saturday night, for a Special Occasion as the Super bowl. This is only to clarify to future guest that was the ONLY time that they had live music at Kahiki Restaurant.
-The second point it's about Howler monkeys.
I understand that the monkeys waked you up you early in the morning, but to be honest the monkeys are part of the Costa Rican Biodiversity and i think that we are very lucky to see them free on the trees near the Hotel instead to been in a Zoo inside of a cage.
Normally the tourists come to Costa Rica to see animals and nature....
- The third point it's about the mattress of your room.
I am very sorry that during your stay at the Hotel you never mentioned anything about uncomfortable mattresses in your room.
For sure we would have changed your room without problems and probably this would have helped you to enjoy more your vacation.
We checked the mattresses in room 12, honestly we didn't find saggy beds or anything strange or defective because we only use Orthopedic mattresses and pillows in the Hotel.
Anyway our goal is to have happy clients at the Hotel instead of unhappy clients.
Focused on this, I am more than happy to invite you to spend 2 NIGHTS FREE of charges at Hotel Luna LLena next time you visit Costa Rica.
Best regards
Pino Trimarchi
HOTEL LUNA LLENA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I (we're 25/26 years old) have never stayed at a b&b (and I'm not sure I would even consider this one since it has a more boutique hotel feel) and I was absolutely blown away! Great price and great location. Not directly on the beach, but there's only 1 in Tamarindo that is. Also nice that it's on a side street so you don't get all the noise from the town and you feel super safe. It's a super short walk to the beach and main street in town (less than 5 min) so you can definitely enjoy the nightlife.
Pino and his wife are so great and do a lot of work saving the monkeys and you can see a bunch of them if you catch them at the right time! (We were able to see them around 4:30-5pm when we made a pit stop at the hotel to change clothes.)
Be sure not to skip the included breakfast either, it's simple but absolutely delicious!
I would highly recommend this place and would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Loved our bungalow apartment, it was on the 2nd floor, room #15 (very bright colors, think lime gree...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
san jose, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

This is a perfect hotel 3 minute walk to the beach and the shops. it is perfect because you feel super safe and everything is beautiful - but a bit out from the loud Tamarindo strip. WE loved our little bungalow and other than the huge!! ants that come out at night I wouldn't change a thing. It is nice beacuse you can walk to everything from here and not have to listen to the night life of Tamarindo but if you wanted to be a part of it it is within walking to - but you still feel like you are a part of the wilderness. When i go to Tamarindo again I would stay here for sure. We did not eat or drink other than breakfast but everything was super clean and the owners are very helpful

Room Tip: Crazy jungle Ants come out at night!! but they provide Raid for the rooms. You get your own bungalow...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Luna Llena for 2 nights in Tamarindo. It's a bit pricey but I guess it's the price you have to pay to stay in a surf town. We stayed in Bungalow 6 and it's a cute little building with 2 beds on the 2nd floor. WIFI was available in our bungalow and wasn't bad. There's also a nice pool at this hotel with a bar. The only negative thing we have to say is that there were a lot of giant ants in our bungalow, we killed nearly 50 ants over the 2 nights we stayed. Overall it's a good choice given it's only a 5 minute walk to the beach.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

The hosts, Pino and Simona, are wonderful, and the bartender, Antonio and the manager, Mari, are very kind people. Other guests are super friendly. Very short (5 min) walk from the beach. I went with my girlfriend and other friends over new years eve. luna Llena helped make our trip fantastic!

Room Tip: Room 11 was great!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

The staff members were all incredibly nice, welcoming, and helpful. The breakfast was delicious and the rooms were well cleaned.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
West Kingston, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I am writing this poolside at the lovely Luna Llena in Tamarindo. My husband and I enjoyed our stay here four years ago so much that we have returned for a two week visit. The owners have poured their friendly Italian sense of hospitality and beautiful colors into this intimate complex of bungalows, pool, and covered patios. We are enjoying the option of preparing our own food in the simple kitchen area of our colorful, AC'd bungalow or ordering the excellent pasta (some of the best vegetable/bechamel lasagne I've had!) or various pizzas homemade and served by the owners. Or, of course, there are many restaurants to walk to in the area. The location is great - away from the noise of the main drags (such as they are in Tamarindo) and around the corner from the very good CSI school where we are are taking Spanish lessons each morning. The owners have been extremely helpful and friendly, as has been their entire staff. We feel very welcome and comfortable with their informal but accommodating service. Also, we are enjoying their cats and dogs who are happy to hang out with the guests in the common areas. We wholeheartedly recommend this small hotel/B&B for its value and relaxing, refreshing ambiance! Great for families, couples, singles.

Room Tip: If you plan to cook, I suggest you pack a small assortment of spices and perhaps a small sharp knife...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Luna Llena? Share your experiences!