“Amazing hotel and perfect location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Luna Llena

You added Hotel Luna Llena to your Saves list
Hotel Luna Llena
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Calle Real | Playa Tamarindo, Tamarindo 5150, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #21 of 36 Tamarindo B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing hotel and perfect location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I (we're 25/26 years old) have never stayed at a b&b (and I'm not sure I would even consider this one since it has a more boutique hotel feel) and I was absolutely blown away! Great price and great location. Not directly on the beach, but there's only 1 in Tamarindo that is. Also nice that it's on a side street so you don't get all the noise from the town and you feel super safe. It's a super short walk to the beach and main street in town (less than 5 min) so you can definitely enjoy the nightlife.
Pino and his wife are so great and do a lot of work saving the monkeys and you can see a bunch of them if you catch them at the right time! (We were able to see them around 4:30-5pm when we made a pit stop at the hotel to change clothes.)
Be sure not to skip the included breakfast either, it's simple but absolutely delicious!
I would highly recommend this place and would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Loved our bungalow apartment, it was on the 2nd floor, room #15 (very bright colors, think lime gree...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
san jose, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

This is a perfect hotel 3 minute walk to the beach and the shops. it is perfect because you feel super safe and everything is beautiful - but a bit out from the loud Tamarindo strip. WE loved our little bungalow and other than the huge!! ants that come out at night I wouldn't change a thing. It is nice beacuse you can walk to everything from here and not have to listen to the night life of Tamarindo but if you wanted to be a part of it it is within walking to - but you still feel like you are a part of the wilderness. When i go to Tamarindo again I would stay here for sure. We did not eat or drink other than breakfast but everything was super clean and the owners are very helpful

Room Tip: Crazy jungle Ants come out at night!! but they provide Raid for the rooms. You get your own bungalow...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Luna Llena for 2 nights in Tamarindo. It's a bit pricey but I guess it's the price you have to pay to stay in a surf town. We stayed in Bungalow 6 and it's a cute little building with 2 beds on the 2nd floor. WIFI was available in our bungalow and wasn't bad. There's also a nice pool at this hotel with a bar. The only negative thing we have to say is that there were a lot of giant ants in our bungalow, we killed nearly 50 ants over the 2 nights we stayed. Overall it's a good choice given it's only a 5 minute walk to the beach.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

The hosts, Pino and Simona, are wonderful, and the bartender, Antonio and the manager, Mari, are very kind people. Other guests are super friendly. Very short (5 min) walk from the beach. I went with my girlfriend and other friends over new years eve. luna Llena helped make our trip fantastic!

Room Tip: Room 11 was great!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

The staff members were all incredibly nice, welcoming, and helpful. The breakfast was delicious and the rooms were well cleaned.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
West Kingston, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I am writing this poolside at the lovely Luna Llena in Tamarindo. My husband and I enjoyed our stay here four years ago so much that we have returned for a two week visit. The owners have poured their friendly Italian sense of hospitality and beautiful colors into this intimate complex of bungalows, pool, and covered patios. We are enjoying the option of preparing our own food in the simple kitchen area of our colorful, AC'd bungalow or ordering the excellent pasta (some of the best vegetable/bechamel lasagne I've had!) or various pizzas homemade and served by the owners. Or, of course, there are many restaurants to walk to in the area. The location is great - away from the noise of the main drags (such as they are in Tamarindo) and around the corner from the very good CSI school where we are are taking Spanish lessons each morning. The owners have been extremely helpful and friendly, as has been their entire staff. We feel very welcome and comfortable with their informal but accommodating service. Also, we are enjoying their cats and dogs who are happy to hang out with the guests in the common areas. We wholeheartedly recommend this small hotel/B&B for its value and relaxing, refreshing ambiance! Great for families, couples, singles.

Room Tip: If you plan to cook, I suggest you pack a small assortment of spices and perhaps a small sharp knife...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I found Hotel Luna Llena (hotel full moon) when attending the Coastal Spanish Institute to study Spanish for a week in Tamarindo. (The school would be a different review.) I was originally going to do home stay with a family but I realised the first night that I NEED AIR CONDITIONING. So I looked at tripadvisor for a hotel close to the school and they mentioned Lluna Lena. It is the closest hotel to the school (about a one minute walk) The school "facilities" weren't that good, so it was nice to be able to pop back to the hotel at times.

So anyway, the hotel was AWESOME for me. Marilena (sorry if that's misspelled) at the front desk showed me a couple of rooms. I selected one, and she gave me a great rate for the week. The room was super comfortable with a seperate largish bathroom (shower, sink, toilet, bidet) which I like because the humidity from the shower stays in the bathroom, not in the main room.

The walls are all concrete so it was wonderfully quiet in my room. The hotel does have a nice pool area and the breakfasts (included) were great for me. You have a choice of Tico (rice, beans, juice) or Continental (toast, jam, juice), but I talked to the cooks (Severa and Yadira) and they made me some eggs with the continental breakfast each day. An excellent way to start the day of spanish classes. Severa did my laundry for me one day for $10. I just gave it to her in the morning, and when I got back from class in the afternoon, it was in my room all done and beautiful.

Now, Piino, the owner, is from Italy and invited me down to the restaurant one evening for home made Pizzas. That was nice - but there are two things that set Pino (and his family) apart from any other hotel owner I've ever met.

First, Pino and his family have started a movement to save monkeys (Salve Monos). As more and more trees get cut down here, the monkeys don't have a way to cross busy roads - so sometimes they try to use the power lines, with predictably horrific results. Salve Monos make rope "bridges" across the roads for the monkeys. It's really making a difference.

Second, I ended up having a problem with my transfer from Tamarindo to my next location (Samara) on Saturday morning. So Pino drove me here in his car (two and a half hours - each way) for the same price as what I was going to pay. We had a great conversation and I really really appreciated it.

Hotel Luna Llena was definately the best part of my week in Tamarindo.

Room Tip: I loved room number 9 - I would give the room an "excellent" rating also if it had interne...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Luna Llena? Share your experiences!