“Decent place. Great staff” 4 of 5 stars

You added Villas Macondo to your Saves list
Villas Macondo
Playa Tamarindo, Tamarindo, Costa Rica   |
Whistler, Canada
“Decent place. Great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
Pool was nice and clean.
Secured parking area is a definite bonus.
The beds are at the end of their life and could do with replacement.
The shower was supposedly hot water but I never got a drop of hot water out of the taps.
Otherwise. Highly recommend this place

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I am from Costa Rica and last January it was my first time at Tamarindo. I found out about Villas Macondo, which seemed like the best and most accesible option for lodging. I stayed there 3 nights and I have to say that the hotel is really nice. I don't like these really big, commercial hotels which are crowded with people. I like hotels that are quiet, calm and not so crowded and Villas Macondo is a perfect example of the latter. It's not exactly located in downtown Tamarindo but at the same time it's really close to downtown Tamarindo. It's a couple of blocks away from the beach, which is not a long walk. There's a supermarket really really close to the hotel. Also, there are many restaurants and other facilities really close to the hotel. Now, about the hotel. As I said before, it's a peaceful place. It's not luxurious but it's cozy and clean. The hotel has a room where you can use wireless Internet, for those who feel the need to get in touch with the cyberworld while vacationing, hehe. There's also a community kitchen. I personally never used because I'm not a fan of community kitchens but from what I saw the community kitchen had everything necessary: a fridge, a sink, dishes, forks, knives, spoons, coffee maker, etc. It has a swimming pool which always looked clean and it's really relaxing. Of course, close to the pool there are chairs where you can lie down and sunbathe. There are gardens where you can walk and feel in touch with nature and they're beautiful. Now, about the rooms. I stayed in one that was just a room because the hotel also offers apartments, which are two stories high. I chose a simple room. This simple room was small, modest but really nice. One of the highlights is that it has a safety deposit box, so you don't have to worry about where to hide your money. The beds are comfortable, the bathroom is small but it has everything you need. There's hot water but of course it works with solar energy. My only complaint about the room was that it didn't have any drawers where to stack all my clothes. What I had to do every day when I got ready was to take the clothes I needed that day directly from my carry on. About the service, I remember Monique, from the reception and she was really nice and helpful. When I arrived she gave me right away a map of Tamarindo and even advised me that during the day I could use the road that leads behind the hotel but during nights it was better not to use that road and use the road that led to the Super Compro and then heading to downtown Tamarindo. In terms of prices, the simple room cost $40 per night, which is accesible. I did research about other hotels in Tamarindo and they were a lot more expensive. In short, if you're one of those travelers that like peaceful and small hotels, close to the town's facilities, that are not crowded with people or that aren't noisy and that are economically attractive, I'd say to give it a go with Villas Macondo and you won't regret it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

An excellent base if you want to be in Tamarindo. We stayed here 10 days whilst getting dental work done and it was just right. Lovely atmosphere, great pool, clean, light and bright rooms with balconies and hammocks.Really handy to have a shared kitchen and computer room. Stella on reception was so lovely and helpful. A great choice for Tamarindo. Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Few last days we stayed in Villas Macondo. It was not my first stay in Villas Macondo and probably not the last one. I really like it - the location is really good, small but nice pull, friendly stuff. We really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: If you are 4 or more take an apartment (there is a really nice kitchen and living room), the only sm...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Villas Macondo. Although it is really hard to find (no signals to show the way, while other hotels have it), the location is good and within walking distance to all the places you might want to go to in Tamarindo. The staff is helpful, the rooms are clean and there is a pool and a kitchen which can be used. We had three scorpions in our room, so be careful what you touch and step on, but that's in pretty much all of costa rica.

• Stayed April 2012
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed here a week ago with my husband and baby. Since its the slow season we pretty much had the grounds to ourselves. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment. The kitchen came in handy with the baby we even made breakfast a couple of days. The kitchen is well equipped. The apartment itself was very clean and well kept. The grounds are beautiful and well kept as well. There is beauitful trees, flowers and plants. The pool was very refreshing. The staff was friendly and very informative. Thanks to LB for fixing my daughters stroller on the very first day we got there. In regards to location its just a short walk to the beach and yes its on a dirt road but so is everything else unless your on the main street. The location is great alot of places to eat and have drinks. I will absolutely recommend this place to anyone traveling to Tamarindo.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Granada, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

When we visited Tamarindo a second time there was no question where we wanted to stay. Everything was too good the first time. The staff is cool and helpful, the rooms are clean with safes and reasonably comfortable beds, cable tv, hot water, a hammock for every room and a table outside for having breakfast, drinks or utilizing the wifi (which also works fine in the room).

The kitchen is clean, but the pool was a little too murky for my tastes both times we stayed, though there were those who didn't seem to mind. (The beach is less than 5 minutes away, so it doesn't seem to be that important, but if you're going to have a pool you might as well keep it clean.) Located about a block off the main area you can escape the noise but still only be a couple minutes from the restaurants, supermarket, shopping and whatever else. (Bring your money—Costa Rica isn't cheap, and Tamarindo is like being back in the states.)

Macondo has enclosed parking and an internet room for those not lugging around their laptops. Very laid back place and everyone staying there seems to be staying it easy, and the staff makes it easy for them.

Room Tip: There doesn't seem to be a big difference in which room you get. We've been on opposite side...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Villas Macondo? Share your experiences!