“The pictures don't do this place justice!” 5 of 5 stars

Playa Langosta, Tamarindo, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 37 Tamarindo B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“The pictures don't do this place justice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I absolutely loved this place. One week before our trip to Costa Rica, I received an email that our hotel in Playa Brasilito burned down. We scrambled to find a place and luckily, I took a second look at Sueno del Mar and they had one room open-- the Osita. It was meant to be. Edwardo showed us around the grounds of the B&B and the whole time I thought, this is sooo much better than the pictures!! Our room was very large, but dark. It did not matter, the best part was outside on our private patio with private outdoor shower and bathroom-- absolutely gorgeous. We watched the monkeys and giant lizards from our shower! We had a gecko living in our room, but we were used to this-- they were in every room we stayed in in Costa Rica! The breakfasts were simply amazing-- I would eat there everyday if I could. The décor around the eating area, pool and beach area was just beautiful-- it felt like I was living in a magazine. My husband and I did not have a car so it took a little extra work to eat and go anywhere. For our first lunch, we went across the street and ate at the pool restaurant at Cala Luna-- gorgeous hotel and great meal. For dinner, we walked down the beach (~20 min) to Tamarindo and ate at Seasons (Edwardo had highly recommended it) and we loved it too. We easily took a cab home.

The next day, Edwardo had suggested that we check out a famous beach bar called Lolas. We walked to Tamarindo and took a shuttle to a hotel near the bar and walked quite a ways down a deserted beach until we got to Lolas. It was a cool bar with tons of surfers-- I would only go there if you have a car. We payed a local to drive us back! For dinner, we walked to Tamarindo again, and walked to the far edge of town to a restaurant called Pangas. Edwardo said it had a great atmosphere and inconsistent food-- we were totally bummed because they had a private party going on and it was closed. It looked awesome inside and I would totally have loved to check it out! Instead we ended up eating at Copacabana. Oddly, all of the restaurants were totally dead and this was one of the only ones with a few people in it. Food and atmosphere were pretty good.

Honestly, we did not feel super safe in Tamarindo at night. I was a little uncomfortable because the streets are not well lit if you get a little off the main drag and there were some sketchy characters around- this was the first place in Costa Rica that we were asked a few times if we wanted to buy drugs. I was glad I had the flashlight app on my phone because we used it to walk around. I was very glad to not be staying in Tamarindo.

Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was our last hotel stop on our Costa Rica trip and it was truly on of our more memorable stays! After 10 days of driving around the country we were just looking for a place to relax and enjoy our last few days in the sun and we got exactly what we were looking for. I had initially planned to book Capitan Suizo and I'm happy it got sold out because everything about Sueno Del Mar was unique. Loved our room (we stayed in the Mischa suit), the 3 course breakfast was so tasty, the hammocks by the ocean and the personable staff! For anyone who is looking for something unique and intimate - don't look any further!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Twickenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Situated in a secluded beach front spot but close enough to town and all its bars and eating venues. Wonderfully relaxed atmosphere, a brilliant eclectic mix of furnishings (I smiled at the cow skull toilet roll holder), loved the open air shower and the comfortable outdoor space with its hammocks and sofas. Breakfast was a feast and always a delight.
The owner and staff were friendly and helpful.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I had my beach wedding here and was delighted that sueno del mar was even more beautiful than I imagined it could be! The decor is so thoughtfully done, it has an idilic rustic edge with so many personal touches. You definitely feel at home here. At night the watchman lights candles a long the walkways which make it look magical! The breakfast literally is a 3 course meal! I have never had a pudding at breakfast before!
I would recommend for any special occasion.

• Stayed May 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

If you like seclusion, luxery, and being pampered, you will find it all here. The rooms in this small hacienda style B & B are beautifully decorated and include simply everything. The breakfast is delicious, prepared with fresh local ingrediences, the staff is ever so helpful, pleasant and friendly. The little patch of beach is your little patch of paradise. Don't expect pristine sand to your left and right: The Sueno del Mar's beach is on a cliff, where you can splash and snorkel in a natural pool at low tide, and enjoy the view of substantial waves crash on high tide. It's quiet, and thanks Heaven lacking that annoying piped music, obnoxious animators, screaming kids and barking dogs - heaven for adults! THE place for couples or singles on a well deserved time-out.

Room Tip: There are only a few rooms: one honey moon room, one small apartment, but ALL rooms are delightful...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Beautiful property with a pretty beachfront, and nature right at your doorstep. Architecturally reminded me of Spanish / Asian influences (there is probably a better description on the website). We had booked a room here for 2 nights, and later wished we could have stayed longer. There was a tree right outside our room frequented by howler monkeys, wow!!! Maintenance of such a property with the salt air and jungle atmosphere must be tough and it is well appreciated. Our room (called Gecko) was very comfortable, where the A/C worked well (it was needed at night when we were there in May). Staff was helpful and provided great suggestions on places to go for food, sightseeing etc. The 3 course breakfast was delicious, and prices for drinks for the rest of the day was reasonable; self serve honor style from fridges located outside the kitchen, local beers US$2.50 :-). Best thing: pure relaxation and enjoyment of nature. Worse thing: 5 min drive from town to the B&B as road was full of potholes, we were glad to have an SUV, but saw plenty of cars

Tamarindo, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I love Sueno. It's my favorite spot for breakfast with friends, a romantic breakfast, to watch the sunset, and to relax with their amazing beach views, hammocks, and beach front day bed. I can't say I would recommend another b&b anywhere else. This is also a dream spot to get married because it's so tiny and intimate (and private). Sol and Susanne will definitely take care of you, and Lili will make you the best breakfast you've ever had.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sueno del Mar Beachfront Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!