“We loved this home like hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Nahua

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Hotel Nahua
Calle Guanacaste | 50 mts.East from Lazy Waves Restaurant, Tamarindo, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #13 of 23 hotels in Tamarindo
Stayton, Oregon
“We loved this home like hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Monkeys were super fun. Yes, they do go potty, but the management cleans it up promptly!
Owner and side kick Ali are fabulous!
Great to gather with other guests in outside sitting area!
We made life time friends and would love to return!
A gem in the rough, as facility is not like the Hilton, but neither is the hospitality like the Hilton, which is exceptional at Hotel Nahau!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had no reservation when we showed up to Tamarindo. The bus attendant from Santa Cruz brought us to Hotel Nahua. It was the best place we could of asked for. Great room at a great price with amazingly accommodating owner and manager. The place is set up to have a nice community feel. Also the trace and pool are very beautiful. We will definitely come here if we return to Tamarindo.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This hotel made me doubt Tripadvisor. After many great experiences in Costa Rica, I wound up staying here with my girlfriend and barely made it 1 night. The reviews were great so we thought everything would be at least ok...we were wrong. How are there so many great reviews?! I HAVE NO IDEA...unless the owners have figured out how to work the system. I was lying in a hammock outside (that was nice at least- anything was better than being in the room) and read the reviews and thought to myself "that is not a real review" while I looked around at the place. SO...read the bad reviews first. That's what this place taught me.
While on paper, everything about the hotel seemed promising, the room itself was a disaster. The outside public area of the hotel could be really nice, but the terrible plastic furniture and lack of maintenance (monkey poop everywhere) put a damper on what could be a nice place.
There was so much monkey poop outside our door when we arrived that we had to hold our noses entering our room. The woman who brought us in (who was very friendly by the way) mentioned the monkey poop (only she called it monkey $#it) and said it would be cleaned up...24 hours later it was still there and still smelled.
The room itself had a checklist of positives: refrigerator, fan (no A.C.), cable TV, and a mini-safe but the walls were covered in stains (seriously- and skid marks), the fridge had rust (or something worse) all over it, the floor was filthy, and the shower had NO HOT WATER. And there was NO DOOR on the bathroom so you turned the corner and BAM- bathroom. I wish I had a picture of this because it was MEMORABLE. Not even close to acceptable and I'm very forgiving.

Also in several reviews it was mentioned that this place was very safe (seemed like responses to bad reviews), but I have to say I was happy there was a mini-safe in the room because the lock on our sliding glass door did not fasten well (see pic), and there was a large gap that could easily be messed with (think crowbar). Also, there is no guard or attendant at the hotel entrance for the late afternoon/night so it would be easy for someone to walk right into the hotel and cause trouble. In fact, the lady who rented us the room encountered us at 9am the next day, didn't remember us and thought we were partyers who had wandered into the hotel (there are many MANY partyers in Tamarindo). So the safe in the room is necessary because there is no other security. In any case, the room was the worst room we had in 16 days in Costa Rica despite the superlatives in the other reviews. Ignore the Tripadvisor award on their website and reception area- it's a joke.

Overall Tamarindo is a college tourist trap, and we left after one night from this poorly maintained hotel for nearby Playa Grande which is much nicer, much quieter, and a bit more expensive but WORTH IT. No Monkey poop!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

By far, the best deal for the money. I stayed here for 2 weeks in July and I have never felt more at home. It's convenient to everything and near to the grocery story and Wayra where me and my daughter were taking classes. Gabriella, the owner, was so cool about everything. I loved the variety of guests that stayed here--everything from families to 20 somethings. The front can be deceiving but once you go inside, it' s an oasis.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We rented a room for 35$!!! A twin bed,shower ,AC ,and a small pool,more than enough when you are planning to do a lot of tours!!we love the idea of been close to everything !!supermarkets,restaurants,and the most important THE BEACH!!! Walking distance !!the place is very quiet and I have to be very honest the owner Gaby is so nice!!! She wants to help you and she loves to give you advice and recommend tours and she works with Alejandro ,this guy is a surf instructor, so we almost came back from costa rica without seeing him!! She was calling him because he knows all the tours and things to do in Tamarindo ,very nice person!! I highly recommend this place if you are not looking for luxury and you are going in a bugget plan ,Gaby and Alejandro are very good people and they will take care of you

Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Great place, friendly and quiet but near everything in Tamarindo, nice pool area. Will stay there again! Close to beach, convenient to supermaket and restaurants, kitchenette with good fridge, comfortable rooms, excellent value. Surfing classes ans tours are arranged right there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I did a lot of research prior to our 9 day trip to Tamarindo and decided to stay at Hotel Nahua. Cheaper options are out there but not as nearly as nice as this place. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice place to stay without 'breaking the bank.' The owner Gabby and her staff are all great. She has invested much time and money in creating a little tropical oasis. My wife and I also took surf lessons with Alejandro and had a blast! Again, he isn't the cheapest out there in regards to surf lessons, but he is very passionate and you will actually get an instructor (unlike those offering lessons on the beach); I'd suggest paying the extra 10 or so dollars!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Nahua? Share your experiences!