“average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pueblo Dorado

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pueblo Dorado to your Saves list
Hotel Pueblo Dorado
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O Box 295159 | Villarreal, Playa Tamarindo, Tamarindo, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Tamarindo
Jackson, Mississippi
“average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

this hotel is totally average -- if you are looking for luxury this is not your place. It is clean enough -- small room with just the basic neccessties. Probably great for backpackers, etc. Short walk to beach, shops. Would stay somewhere nicer next time.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

At the first night arriving to the hotel, we felt totally disappointed. Angry man at the front desk did not say a word when we arrived. When we found our room, it was small and bad-smelling. Location was good, near the beach (but be aware, the map doesn't show the right place. The right place is near the river between Playa Tamarindo and Playa Grande). Very expensive compared to the quality! Only with few small changes in the quality of service the experience could have been better. We cannot recommend to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013
Prince Rupert, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel was very easy to find coming into town, and the location was good as it was away from the bustle of Tamarindo, but still a short walk away from everything.

The room was decent enough, except for all the ants in the bathroom. We asked to have someone take a look at it and they sprayed something that killed them off. Some still came back, but it was tolerable. The last day full day we were there, the housekeepers (I assume) sprayed some sort of a cleaning spray that was very toxic. We closed the bathroom door turned the fan on, and opened a bedroom window to air it out. We came back later that night and it was still bad. It was tolerable when the bathroom door was closed however. The next morning, whatever that spray was, had affected us in a big way. I was completely stuffed up, and i had a horrible cough. My girlfriend had brutal sneezing fits all day as we traveled, followed by a bad runny nose, and much coughing.

The fact that wi-fi wasn't available in the rooms themselves was not a HUGE issue. It would have been nice, but not a deal breaker.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

terrible......

1) we leave in a room on the 2nd floor at the end of the hotel (after swimming pool), and there is no wifi at all......I didn't check my reservation and thought free wifi is not included in the $120/night hotel, untill just now I realize that this is not true and wifi only have signals in the front part of the hotel........

2) The reason we didn't even try to ask the front desk is that the girl doesn't speak much english and we don't speak spanish. We have very unpleasant experience in communicating with her and got ourselves understood, so never try to bother to ask her again. This is very unusual in a place with so many tourists. Even in monteverde, la fortuna, or poas, every front desk we met speak decent, at least reasonable english.....
Also, we were first assigned room 7, which is on the 1st floor facing the street. We then immediately ask whether there is other room either for the 1st night or later nights because we want quieter room, the girl didn't even bother checking and said NO immediately. I can understand if there is no room for the 1st night, because we checked in late, around 7:20pm, but she didn't even check for later nights (we stayed there for 3 nights total).
Interestingly, after 10miniutes in Room 7, we were called and told that there's a room available.

To be fair, this hotel has nice location. It's only <10minutes walk from the beach, and several nice restaurant. So we can come back and go out easily without driving at all.

It's way too expensive for this quality. It is worth at most $60/night, and I feel very regretful for staying there for 3 nights, which kind of ruins my mood for vacation a little.

Room Tip: well.....if you want internet (wifi), maybe room in the front? (not sure, but at least room in the b...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Gatineau
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

It was the end of a 5 week wonderful vacation in Costa Rica. Playa Del Coco, Samara, Carrillo were all very inviting and a wonderful stay. My wife and I spent our last night at the Hotel Pueblo Dorado in Tamarindo. This hotel is clean, have a nice pool, small breakfast is also very good. It is a little out of the action, the room was very noisy and there were a lot of ants in the room. What I am complaining about is the young girl at the front desk; I believe her name is Georgina or something like that. She did not smile; she was not very helpful with anything. The only time she smiled was the next morning when her boss was there. We decided to stay in for dinner since my wife what not feeling well and they do not have a dining room. The walk to town was a good 10 or 15 minutes. Normally it is not a problem for us but not this time. We asked the front desk if there was a pizza delivery and she said no without even looking. We were disturbing her from her search for a new cell phone on the internet. We started looking at advertising brochure on her desk to find out that the ones she had were many years old and they were all closed according to her. Another incident that we notice the morning of our departure, we were waiting for our bus transfer to the airport and a lady came in wearing her swimsuit with a bag in her hand. She asked this Georgina girl to keep the bag behind the desk and the girl said a flat NO. The lady said I’m John’s wife (obviously the couple were staying there) and she again said no. The lady said let me speak with your boss, the boss lady came out of the office and said yes, yes leave me your bag no problem I will put it in my office. All this to say, if you decide to stay at this hotel, I hope you have a different front desk person than this not so friendly girl. For over $120.00 for a one night stay, I expect a much better service. I will never go back there but I will return to Costa Rica.
Phil

Room Tip: Get a room near the pool it would be more quiet
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Van
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I was traveling alone but didn't want to stay in the super-cheap hostels. This place seemed to get some decent ratings, but based on what I paid ($120/night Cdn), I think it was overpriced. Granted if I was traveling with someone else, that would be $60/night, but single travelers can't seem to get a break. The room was clean but there was an ant problem in the washroom. They got into my cosmetic bag, ugh. Chalked it up to being in a tropical country and didn't make a fuss. The air conditioner was pretty loud so I had to wear my earplugs to bed. The safe in the room had no key, so I just locked everything up in my locked luggage. The free wi-fi only works in the front third of the hotel, but they have a desktop computer in the reception area where you can use that for free. The staff is generally friendly and even though I came to breakfast late one morning by 20 minutes, they went out of their way to make me some breakfast (after a scolding in high-speed Spanish and pointing at the clock). The best thing about the hotel is the pool area. The beach at Tamarindo isn't the best, so the hotel pool is a relaxing oasis, that is shaded from the beach winds that can get sand in your eyes and get things flying. It's a bit of a walk (10 - 15 mins) from the main village area so consider a flashlight as there are no sidewalks, just dirt roads walking to and from the hotel at night, and no street lights. Or cross the street and cut through the other hotel to walk on the beach in the daytime. I think that everywhere in Tamarindo, you wake up to the sounds of exotic birds (and sometimes monkeys) so if you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs. I did appreciate the breakfast, with the fresh cut pineapples, cantaloupes, etc. It seemed safe and generally clean.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the front of the hotel will have wi-fi coverage.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Stayed here in February 2012 while traveling with two girlfriends. We walked in and paid around $100 per night. The rooms are meant for only two, but they added an extra bed to accomodate us. The rooms were decent and clean, nothing spectacular but perfect if you are looking for a simple, standard room. A continental style breakfast is provided in the morning. The staff was friendly, but the receptionis was not very helpful when we tried to arrange a catamaran tour(one company was full for the tour and she didn't know of anyone else to call so we ended up figuring it out ourselves). The only complaint would be that the internet/Wifi was not working the entire three night stay we were there, but nothing out of the ordinary in my Costa Rica experience so far. The hotel is located a 5 - 10 minute walk to the beach, restaurants, etc and easy to find. Definitely overall a good value for the price!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Pueblo Dorado? Share your experiences!