“Expensive for what you get” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pueblo Dorado to your Saves list
Hotels.com Tingo.com
Hotel Pueblo Dorado
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O Box 295159 | Villarreal, Playa Tamarindo, Tamarindo, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #21 of 23 hotels in Tamarindo
Gatineau
“Expensive for what you get”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

It was the end of a 5 week wonderful vacation in Costa Rica. Playa Del Coco, Samara, Carrillo were all very inviting and a wonderful stay. My wife and I spent our last night at the Hotel Pueblo Dorado in Tamarindo. This hotel is clean, have a nice pool, small breakfast is also very good. It is a little out of the action, the room was very noisy and there were a lot of ants in the room. What I am complaining about is the young girl at the front desk; I believe her name is Georgina or something like that. She did not smile; she was not very helpful with anything. The only time she smiled was the next morning when her boss was there. We decided to stay in for dinner since my wife what not feeling well and they do not have a dining room. The walk to town was a good 10 or 15 minutes. Normally it is not a problem for us but not this time. We asked the front desk if there was a pizza delivery and she said no without even looking. We were disturbing her from her search for a new cell phone on the internet. We started looking at advertising brochure on her desk to find out that the ones she had were many years old and they were all closed according to her. Another incident that we notice the morning of our departure, we were waiting for our bus transfer to the airport and a lady came in wearing her swimsuit with a bag in her hand. She asked this Georgina girl to keep the bag behind the desk and the girl said a flat NO. The lady said I’m John’s wife (obviously the couple were staying there) and she again said no. The lady said let me speak with your boss, the boss lady came out of the office and said yes, yes leave me your bag no problem I will put it in my office. All this to say, if you decide to stay at this hotel, I hope you have a different front desk person than this not so friendly girl. For over $120.00 for a one night stay, I expect a much better service. I will never go back there but I will return to Costa Rica.
Phil

Room Tip: Get a room near the pool it would be more quiet
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Van
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I was traveling alone but didn't want to stay in the super-cheap hostels. This place seemed to get some decent ratings, but based on what I paid ($120/night Cdn), I think it was overpriced. Granted if I was traveling with someone else, that would be $60/night, but single travelers can't seem to get a break. The room was clean but there was an ant problem in the washroom. They got into my cosmetic bag, ugh. Chalked it up to being in a tropical country and didn't make a fuss. The air conditioner was pretty loud so I had to wear my earplugs to bed. The safe in the room had no key, so I just locked everything up in my locked luggage. The free wi-fi only works in the front third of the hotel, but they have a desktop computer in the reception area where you can use that for free. The staff is generally friendly and even though I came to breakfast late one morning by 20 minutes, they went out of their way to make me some breakfast (after a scolding in high-speed Spanish and pointing at the clock). The best thing about the hotel is the pool area. The beach at Tamarindo isn't the best, so the hotel pool is a relaxing oasis, that is shaded from the beach winds that can get sand in your eyes and get things flying. It's a bit of a walk (10 - 15 mins) from the main village area so consider a flashlight as there are no sidewalks, just dirt roads walking to and from the hotel at night, and no street lights. Or cross the street and cut through the other hotel to walk on the beach in the daytime. I think that everywhere in Tamarindo, you wake up to the sounds of exotic birds (and sometimes monkeys) so if you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs. I did appreciate the breakfast, with the fresh cut pineapples, cantaloupes, etc. It seemed safe and generally clean.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the front of the hotel will have wi-fi coverage.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Stayed here in February 2012 while traveling with two girlfriends. We walked in and paid around $100 per night. The rooms are meant for only two, but they added an extra bed to accomodate us. The rooms were decent and clean, nothing spectacular but perfect if you are looking for a simple, standard room. A continental style breakfast is provided in the morning. The staff was friendly, but the receptionis was not very helpful when we tried to arrange a catamaran tour(one company was full for the tour and she didn't know of anyone else to call so we ended up figuring it out ourselves). The only complaint would be that the internet/Wifi was not working the entire three night stay we were there, but nothing out of the ordinary in my Costa Rica experience so far. The hotel is located a 5 - 10 minute walk to the beach, restaurants, etc and easy to find. Definitely overall a good value for the price!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

First, I agree with other reviewers the staff here were really friendly, especially the young lady taking the reservations on the front desk. This place is a short walk to everything, not sure what the other reviewer was referring to...maybe they walked in the wrong direction. This is no Ritz Carlton that's for sure but it's a convenient place to throw your bags down take a shower clean up and head out, all for a cheap price..I think I paid about $60...walkin....that included a good breakfast...make no mistake this is a budget motel type place but overall I would recommend it for what it is.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

we booked to stay at this hotel over the Xmas period as many of the better hotels were charging very high rates.due to high demand at this time of the year.
The staff were very good, much better than at many hotels we have stayed in Central America.
The rooms were quite small and pretty plain although very clean.Our room had an adjoining door which allowed noise to come through very clearly.The swimming pool was nice and had lots of natural light.However the breakfast was very hit and miss.Not enough room for the staff to work in and equipment woeful.However saying all that it was ok and did not make or break our stay.We had a good speed free wi fi but had to pay for the safe in the room(one of those minor charges which are really quite unnecessary)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

A group of us (3 girls) stayed in the "Presidente Suite." It looked as if it had not been used for a while. There were spider webs and spiders in the room. The shower head was clogged and the air conditioner leaked. The staff did fix the shower head and air conditioner the first day were arrived. There was hot water. The top bunk bed did not feel/look safe; therefore, 2 of us had to share a bed. The restroom was very small. The fridge and microwave did not work.

Although, the room itself was not good. The staff was polite and friendly. The pool was nice. We had computer access 24/7. Breakfast was included which was across the street at a French bakery. The staff there was nice as well. Breakfast choices included: American Bfast, European Bfast, Typical Bfast and Lite Bfast.

Everything was within walking distance...the beach, stores, grocery store, restaurants, and the bank.

Personally, I would stay again BUT not at the Presidente Suite. 2 of our other friends stayed in a typical room, which appeared to be very clean and neat.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

We were very impressed with the hotel's staff and cleanliness. Although the rooms are a little tight, we weren't in Costa Rica to spend our time in the room! The entire staff was exceptionally friendly and answered many questions for us. Breakfast and free wireless were included in our rate. The breakfast is provided by a quaint French bakery across the street and was surprisingly excellent for being included in what we considered to be a low nightly rate.

The hotel is conveniently located near beach access, shopping, and the grocery store. We felt 100% comfortable with parking our car here as well. The front desk is staffed 24/7 which we found to be a nice "perk".

We especially loved the outdoor living space on the second floor. It provided us with a comfortable place to lounge in the evenings! I would highly recommend the Pueblo Dorado and would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Staff friendliness, cleanliness, security
  • Disliked — size of rooms, lack of view
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Pueblo Dorado? Share your experiences!