“Unexpectedly cute” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Tamarindo Beach, Tamarindo, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Tamarindo
“Unexpectedly cute”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I spent 3 nights in Jardin Del Eden, May 2014, my stay wasn't planned since I decided to stay in Tamarindo longer than expected - but what a great surprise it was - I have to say that the rooms were more expensive than average I supposed for the season - but I had an amazing welcome there from all the hotel staff, loads of interesting advices and really a nice stay in the end - I also definitely recommend the restaurant owned by the Frenchman, food was the best ever! Thanks to all for your smiles and gestures, special mention to Enrique for his contagious passion for nature and Costa Rica. See you guys next year! Richard A.

Room Tip: Book it early.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Delray Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights. When we first arrived we were struck by how beautiful the grounds were, the pool area is gorgeous. It was a little oasis away from the hustle and bustle of the town. However, it was a bit of a walk up the path and a touch further away from the beach than other hotels. We were a bit disappointed that they had not turned the A/C on in our room upon our arrival as it was very humid and hot, even more so in the room. We also were not thrilled that the maid would turn off our A/C when she came to clean the room everyday as we were usually coming back from the beach. It seems to me as they were 'cutting corners'. The decor was 'meh' and dated. The room we stayed in had an Asian motif and the bed was impractical, as it was low to the ground and had an overhang that we always seemed to accidentally bang our shins on. The mattress was a bit firm for our taste as well. The shower was fantastic, nice and roomy with a rainfall shower head. We also had wished there was a tiny refrigerator because we wanted to keep our bottles of water cold. The restaurant, the restaurant service and the food were INCREDIBLE. We both loved the chicken with shrimp dish and the mussels were great as well. There were a few incidents where we felt that the front desk lacked in customer service. For instance, when we first arrived and were shown our room I asked about an upgrade. The gentleman at the front desk said he wasn't sure what he could do because the main front desk person would not be there until a few days. Too bad, we would have upgraded and the hotel could have benefited financially. There were a few more incidents as well. The front desk staff really seemed to care less about it's customers, who keep the hotel in business, and more about chatting with each other and/or watching movies and YouTube videos. Audrey, the concierge, was informative and pleasant though. Overall, we enjoyed our experience, mostly because of the pool and restaurant, but would find somewhere else to stay the next trip due to the lack of customer service.

Room Tip: There is limited Wifi! Most rooms do not get Wifi, only the lobby and restaurant.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Went to Tamarindo over the Easter weekend and Jardin del Eden was a good place to rest our heads. It has all the amenities you need (especially AC!). We stayed in a basic 1 bed room in the main building but it was next to where the cars come in so it was a little noisy but we weren't too bothered. Great start to our trip.

• Stayed April 2014
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

My boyfriend and I recently traveled to Costa Rica an stayed at Hotel El Jardin del Eden, which was chosen based on Tripadvisor reviews. Our vacation started out pretty nicely but grew increasingly worse when we realized our room (which we paid for an upgraded deluxe room with private balcony no less) was infested with bugs. We had a daily problem with ants all over the floor and walls (some seemed to be coming from behind a wall decoration and AC unit) - when we called the front desk, they merely sent up a guy with a can of bug spray. We had to do this twice during our 4-day trip. To make matters worse, several days into the trip, I started noticing dozens of bites on my ankles/legs. I initially assumed these to be mosquito bites because they have a similar look/itch and didn't think much of it since I had heard that Costa Rica was common for mosquitoes. Fast forward several weeks later and the bites continued. I woke up every morning with at least 4 new bites on my ankles/legs/feet and then eventually started appearing on my arms/body/face/neck. I grew increasingly suspicious that this wasn't a coincidence, as my apartment has never had a mosquito problem before nor is it even warm out in NYC for mosquitoes to flourish. My apartment was inspected yesterday for bed bugs and I received the news that my apartment is in fact infected with BED BUGS. They asked if I had traveled recently, and it came to my boyfriend and my realization that Hotel del Jardin was the culprit. I wasn't very familiar with bed bugs before, but after doing extensive research, the tiny brown spots that I recall on the mattress sheets at this hotel are confirmation that they in fact have bed bugs. I am definitely at fault for not fully educating myself on the signs/warnings of bed bugs before traveling, but have learned my lesson. We did not have any other complaints regarding the hotel so it's unfortunate that I have to leave such a poor review, however I am sharing this review in hopes that someone else doesn't suffer from the same consequences. Unless Hotel El Jardin del Eden corrects this issue, we do NOT recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Those of you that love great food, great service, and great ambiance, then when you are in Costa Rica, this is your destination.

We are foodies, and I can assure you that this is the best place if you share our enthusiasm for fine dining. Don't miss it.

The cost is reasonable compared to the other establishments that profess the same.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Nice place, quiet and secure. Room was large and comfy. We really enjoyed the pool. Had a yummy dessert and then breakfast from the restaurant. Restaurant staff was great! We may drive back in for dinner. Front desk had a couple issues...1) upon checking in passports not given back and left on copy machine... I had to ask for them back 2) upon checking out our credit card was not given back and this time we didn't catch it. We stayed at the pool area and the gal knew we were doing so since we checked out 2 towels to use. During that 2 hour pool time no one brought us our credit card and we did not discover it until we were 20 minutes down the road paying at the grocery store. So attention to detail by the front desk staff needs to improve.

Room Tip: We did not need a room with a view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Norton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Great place to sit back and relax or use as a base for exploring the Tamarindo locale. The friendly iguana who circumnavigates the pool area is only interested in the pineapple slice of your pina colada...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Jardin del Eden boutique hotel? Share your experiences!