“Perfect, off-the-main-road Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 23 hotels in Tamarindo
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Perfect, off-the-main-road Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here with her parents before our wedding in Playa Hermosa. The breakfast and grounds were perfect, the beach was within walking distance (with plenty of surf-shops, and restaurants minutes away), and the staff was super helpful. The beach was a great middle-ground beach, with tons of people learning to surf, bodyboard, etc. We had dinner one night, and the menu was excellent, fresh fish, steaks, etc. Try the Guaro-sours, they're delicious!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

335 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here during the last leg of our honeymoon trip in Costa Rica. The room was nice and clean with a great view of the ocean. What was even more ideal was that the property had a private walkway that took you right on to the main strip where there were tons of restaurants and shops...and most importantly (for us at least) the beach! Breakfast was included and was quite filling. As with all of the locations we visited, fresh fruit was abundant. I loved the fact that we could spend a few hours on the beach, walk to grab a bite, take a break in the room or by the pool - all without being worn out because everything was so close.

Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed one night in this hotel while in Tamarindo. The hotel is pretty, peaceful, and clean but nothing crazy to write home about. The price was more than Hotel Diria which is a pretty fancy hotel on the beach. I enjoyed my stay and have no real complaints other than the price. Breakfast was included and was muy bueno.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Location: It's about a 150 meter walk down a private, gated walkway to the main street running through the Tamarindo strip. After crossing the main street, you're on the beach. Central location of this hotel also makes it an easy walk to all the restaurants and shopping along the strip.

Service: Average front desk staff. They weren't overly friendly or helpful but the job was done. Concierge is new and it showed. It probably doesn't help that she also works in the hotel spa. One additional item worth mentioning: if you arrive with a car, you have to call or go to the front desk so they can open the gate, manually, every time you come or go. Restaurant staff was friendly and helpful.

Value: good location for the price. The room felt like a retreat, we had a partial ocean view from our private balcony, and breakfast was included each morning. Breakfast consisted of: bread slices, fruit, potatoes, sausage, eggs, turkey, tomatoes, lettuce, fruit juice, lukewarm milk, and coffee every morning. Other common breakfast items were available for purchase.

Sleep Quality: huge, comfortable bed (fairly firm mattress). The fan only had one setting: fast and loud, so we had to turn it off and rely on a/c all night. Temperature still stayed consistent and comfortable. Alarm clock and one of the bedside lamps were not working.

Cleanliness: we had quite a few ants in our room but this issue was not exclusive to the hotel as they were everywhere in Tamarindo. The cleaning staff was very friendly and competent. Iguanas pooped on the sidewalk quite often but it was usually addressed quickly.

Overall, it was a positive experience and I would recommend this hotel to a friend.

Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was an ok hotel. It was more expensive than the Best Western Vista Villas and not as fun. The staff were all very nice and friendly. Professional, but I think they knew though that the room smelled like bug spray. Lots of it. And the room was swarmed with ants, which I got to go away using one of my anti ant tricks.....)
And I was given a room without a view, even though it was low season and there was an upgrade available. I asked for the upgrade, and the reception person forgot to do it or must have thought I was not upscale enough to pay the difference (I always pay for upgrades, but like it when they are free in the off season too......), and thus I never got the upgrade. I didn't mention it again though because I am not a complainer.
Aside from the bug spray smell of the room, there was no hot water either. Also, I was told there was a minibar, but I didn't see one in the room. Maybe it was off season again?
I went to check on spa services and several times in several days, the person who was supposed to be working at the desk was not there, nor did they follow up with me even though they knew I wanted a massage! Or at least I think they knew........
All in all, this hotel was only so so and not worth the price. If it

Room Tip: don't go there. go somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This hotel refused to give us a superior room even though we paid for it. Reserving online in advance on Expedia, I paid extra for a Superior Room with a queen bed. When we arrived, the young front desk worker told us that only Standard Rooms were available, with a full bed. I looked at 2 of these rooms, which were small, dark, and not nice. Then they told me that better rooms with Queen beds were available, but that we had to pay an extra $25 for these rooms. I told them again that we already paid extra for the Superior/Queen bed room. Each time I asked questions, the young front desk worker had to call a manager to make any decisions, a process that took a long time. In the end we had to pay the extra to get a Superior room with a Queen bed (the only acceptable room I'd been shown). And for that experience, we were gone the next day, to find a hotel that didn't cheat their customers.

Positives: The balcony views from our Superior room were nice. And the next morning the front desk was helpful in telling us places to go.

Cons: Breakfast was average. Pool & Bar were sorta empty & sad. If you haven't been to Tamarindo before, DON'T GO - bad chain restaurants, staffed by unfriendly people, and we met 3 drug dealers in 30 min walking the main street. We drove down to Samara & had a great experience there instead.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Alfonso A, Manager at Jardin del Eden boutique hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
“First of all it is important to clarify that you made the reservation through Expedia, was for a standard type room, which as shown in this site, do not overlook the ocean, and located on the first floor next to the gardens.
As a manager I gladly attended, and try to help, offering a superior room with a queen bed, and being the only room available, however you did not like.
It was two rooms that did not like and finally we are back to offer a DELUXE room which boasts an extraordinary view, King size bed and other facilities. Our rooms have different categories and pricing, as we moved from Standard to Deluxe room, the price is very different however for only $ 25.00 we did the up-grade and you accepted.
It is important to understand that you booked a standard room with Expedia and we respect the room request made by our customers. We can gladly provide other room when customers come to our hotel and for this; the customer is entitled to make the decision to change the type of booked room.

Therefore, say the hotel misleads customers is unfair.

Many of our customers decide to go for walks around Tamarindo and know the malls, enjoy the beach and much more. Thus, this makes our facilities are a bit lonely at various times of the day. Our hotel is not oceanfront and this makes customers choose to go to meet and enjoy the beach.
We are sorry for your experience at local restaurants, which is not usual with our restaurant staffs who are humble-friendly people as mentioned by hundreds of customers who shared their experience in our destination.
About drugs in Tamarindo, unfortunately those are situations beyond our control. It affects not only Tamarindo Beach but in every corner of the world as we all well know.
Finally, as Costa Rican, I want to thank you for visiting our country and I am glad that your stay in Samara has met your expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Hard to find hotel as it is tucked away up the hill and accessed by gravel road. The claim of 100 meters to beach is slightly exaggerated. Breakfast just ok, but did see monkeys in trees while eating in restaurant. Also in mango trees above private walkway to Main Street. Watch out for flying mangos, as the monkeys throw them at you. Good value, central location in town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Alfonso A, Manager at Jardin del Eden boutique hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your time putting comment about your recent stay in El Jardin del Eden
The gravel road is only for a short duration
We hope you liked our hotel and thank you for your comment.
Wish again has the opportunity to share with you

Been to Jardin del Eden boutique hotel? Share your experiences!