“Off the beaten path, but good value in Tamarindo area” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Langosta Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Langosta Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Langosta Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   El Robledal, La Uruca, Tamarindo 1150, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
Illinois
“Off the beaten path, but good value in Tamarindo area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed four nights with my husband in early September. We originally were going to only stay three, but were enjoying the all-inclusive atmosphere of the hotel, so we stayed an extra night. We stayed at this hotel almost 10 years ago to the day, and while some things have changed, it felt like the same hotel.
The rooms have been updated since we last stayed, and the bed was comfortable. There is a refrigerator in the room, and an ice maker on each floor. We were in the fourth building, which is very close to the amphitheater and pretty far from the lobby/pool. Even though there weren't too many guests, the hotel had shows each night in the theater, and it could be heard very well from our room (didn't bother us since we were up most of the time, but could be a problem for others). Some of the buildings closer to the pool/lobby were being renovated, and were closed to guests.

The pool area is clean, but the chairs were really dirty. I'm not sure when they had last been cleaned, and if they had been, I think it's time to invest in some new furniture. The pool bar was open most of the day and had a small selection of snacks, including nachos, pizza, etc.

The beach is lovely, and the random dogs are cute and friendly. The sea looked a bit rough most days, but you can still swim if you want to.

The food at the restaurant was OK. While I enjoy gallo pinto and queso fresco, there wasn't much selection beyond that. I am a vegetarian, too, and during some meals the rice did include meat, so selection was limited. My husband did enjoy the days when they cooked chicken and beef when you were being served, since it tasted very fresh. If you are looking for a hotel to supply gourmet meals and have a different cuisine each night, this hotel is not for you. If you're fine with rice and salad, or going into Tamarindo for dinner, then this hotel will work. I did find hair in my rice one morning, which can happen anywhere, but made me more cautious the next time I took food from the buffet.

There is a small fitness facility and spa on the property, and a restaurant near the parking log. I believe the restaurant is only open during peak season (was closed during our stay) and was an up charge.

I would return to the Barcelo. Overall I think the employees are friendly, the rooms and facilities are clean, and it's not as busy as Tamarindo. The road to Langosta is not paved, but it only takes 5 minutes by car. There is also secure, free parking if you rent a vehicle.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Great Yarmouth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We visited here September 2013 the hotel were very pleasant, couldnt fault the staff and the service.
Food hot, tea and coffee served with meals has much has you wanted, i thought it was also nice to have water serviced has much as you wanted with each meal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The room was beautiful. We were very impressed. The downside to our room, was that we requested a quite room and were unfortunately placed across from the disco, so it was quite loud at night and difficult to sleep. However, we were pleased enough with the room that we did not request to switch. Having AC is quite nice, and an overhead fan was enjoyable.

We loved the wildlife that can be found at Barcelo. Wake up at 5am and go outside, chances are you will see monkeys swinging from trees, or 2 foot long iguanas!

The waves at the beach made swimming impossible, BUT i have also never seen such a beautiful beach. The volcanic rock, and different sand formations blew me away. Along with the various sea shells that the tide brings in. We did not mind that we could not swim in it!!
Tip: 20 - 30 minute walk along the beach, towards your right hand side, will bring you to a calm area to swim, and you can stroll right into town!!

There is also a decent size pool at the resort, so either way you can swim!! We did however, wish there was a hot-tub available.

Alot of the entertainment at the resort was in Spanish, so I could not follow along since I do not speak spanish. It would have been nice if the entertainment staff did activities in English.

The outdoor bar opens around 10 or 11AM and closes around 7PM. It would have been nice if the bar was open all day and night. There is a lobby bar that opens around 8 or 9PM, so drinkers have to take it inside.

I got incredibly sick off of Shell fish at the restaurant. So sick that i spent a day in bed. Please avoid shell fish on your travels.

Very disappointed in the continental breakfast. If you enjoy going on tours, you will be told that there is a continental breakfast. This is important since the tour operators pick up early morning before the hotel serves the buffet, and some tours take 4 hours until you arrive at your destination! The continental breakfast is nothing more than coffee and fruit. We were not allowed to eat any of the buffet that was ready to serve, we were not even allowed to have a bowl of cereal. Myself, and every other person who was on a tour were very upset. We expect to be fed properly when we are paying for all inclusive meals. Perhaps the hotel is unaware of what a continental breakfast is, in Canada a continental breakfast includes fruit, bagels, pancakes, cereal, muffins, coffee, yogurt etc.. Not just fruit and coffee.. it was an awful breakfast.

Needless to say, there are pros and cons to every trip. We were blown away by the beauty and activities available in Costa Rica, so much, that we are planning to move there next year on a working/holiday Visa. I cannot wait to experience delicious coffee, beautiful sunsets, untamed wildlife, excellent climate, and FUN activities (zip-lining, volcanoes, horseback riding etc..) once again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Muskegon, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We visited this small resort in February of 2013. The food and staff were accommodating and very pleasant. Overall our week stay was just right. Very hot in February would say if you want to be cooler plan an earlier visit before the dry season. Our room was exceptionally clean and details were just right for us. Every morning If you wake early 5 am you could see he Southern Cross Constellation in its glory. The howler monkeys were quite fun to watch. Large families of these monkeys would make their racket in the morning and travel on he resort trees to feed. Amazing beach and nice surf. The food was always delicious. Would recommend this place for anyone who wanted to lay back and relax.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at the Barcelo Langosta Beach resort with a friend in mid-August and had a wonderful time. The resort is small and well laid-out with the restaurant, pool, hotel rooms, spa, and walkways. Its location along a sandy stretch of beach can't be beat! The rainy season was a fabulous time to visit the resort, as it wasn't the least bit crowded and everything was beautifully green and in full bloom and the almost daily rain spell was pretty short.

The pool, with its loungers and thatched cabanas, was fantastic. Howler monkeys entertained us daily in the trees right outside our patio. I've never encountered such friendly staff that worked their tails off! Everyone took great pride in the work they were doing. Not to mention they tolerated my elementary-level grasp of Spanish.

My only reasons for not giving this resort 5 stars is the food (but what do you expect with all-inclusive? Sadly, the cooks also didn't seem to understand wheat allergies, which I found out the hard way after being assured what I was eating was free of wheat; it wasn't.) and the discoteca music each night if you happened to be located in a building nearest the dance floor.

All in all, a fabulous place that I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the discoteca and on the ocean side.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jaco, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

rooms very clean,staff was good,buffet was okay,dining room was very good and the nightly entertainment was pretty good but could have been better,had a great stage and ampitheater.Beach clean and nice had a sand volleyball area but could use some lounge chairs for guests that would rather be on beach instead of pool,pool and pool bar was great,had dart boards,fooze ball tables and dailey bingo with prizes.

Room Tip: all rooms in good
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I just returned from the Barcelo Langosta and I must give thanks to Alexander for making me great eggs (any way I wanted them) every morning. He made conversation, was cheerful and friendly and never too busy to be so very nice. Elvin, one of the waiters was always ready with the second or third cup of coffee, or whatever the picky eaters at my table wanted. I went with my daughter, sister, niece, and two cousins. Though I am one of those people with sensitive taste-buds, there was always something that I could eat.

I liked the all inclusive meals better that the food at the restaurant (you have the option of one meal at the restaurant). At the restaurant the beautiful shrimp I ordered drowned in a sauce that left a lot to be desired.....so I left them on the plate! However again, the staff at the restaurant was friendly and very professional.

Since my daughter is in musical theater, I must give my loudest applause to the young workers "animadores" who did the singing and dancing shows every evening and entertained the guests with dancing classes, exercise routines, volleyball games etc. during their very busy day. Joaquin was very entertaining and made sure the audience was involved in the routines. I especially liked the participation of the young children in the audience. Cesar danced beautifully and had a smile that made everyone in the audience think that he was smiling at them. Alex is the very young gymnast whose solo performance along with his acrobatic stunts made me applaud loudly.....keep up the good work. A big applause to the girls and guys who work so hard to entertain the quest at Barcelo Langosta! My daughter was trilled to meet like minded young people who love to sing and dance and I was so very happy for this.

If you want great tours, speak to Jusy at the Lobby.....she made three wonderful tours possible and she made me feel her trustworthiness and sincerity....I would go back and do more tours any time and I would go back to see these people who were so very kind. For me, the people I met, the staff at Barcelo Langosta, and the wonderful nature tours in Costa Rica were the most memorable part of my trip.

Room Tip: I heard later on that there were 2 story suites with 2 bathroom on premises. I would have chosen th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Langosta Beach? Share your experiences!