“Beautiful property & Great location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Langosta Beach

You added Barcelo Langosta Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Langosta Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   El Robledal, La Uruca, Tamarindo 1150, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
Sudbury, Canada
“Beautiful property & Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Check in was very well executed even though there were many people checking in all at the same time. Our transportation from the airport was great my friends and I ended up having a little bus all to ourselves and a very informative guide. The food was very tasty and varied nicely from day to day! The cantina/bar by the pool had especially amazing snack foods! If you go you must try their pico de gallo salsa, hot wraps and pizza! They would really benefit from having an extra bar somewhere onsite but service was still quite prompt! There's a beautiful beach just steps away from the pool area with 1-3 vendors selling jewelry and fragile souvenirs, they were very nice and didn't harass anyone at all. It's a short walk to town or a very inexpensive cab ride. Tamarindo is a great little surf town. A lot of surf shops and surf schools, I had a 2hr lesson at Iguana surf school. The lesson was very reasonably priced, included our board and a wet suit type top (u don't keep these :D). I managed to get up on my second try and my friend got up his 4th or 5th try thanks to our instructor (I think his name was Keaken? but I can't quite recall). Our travel rep at the hotel was Jonathen, he was really nice and extremely helpful and easy to locate. The rooms are decent, with a small but not crowded bathroom, a mini fridge, a/c and a very nice balcony. I was with a group so i did see 2 other rooms, ours was a tiny bit musty but very clean. The other 2 rooms were not musty at all and were also very clean and seemed to have been renovated somewhat recently even though the decor was basically the same. Our housekeeper (though I never saw her) was very respectful of our stuff when cleaning. I can tend to be fairly messy, she neatly placed anything left on the bed out of the way and even lined all my shoes up nicely for me! We left her a tip with a few words to thank her and she left us a thank you note. The towel girl seemed completely miserable and I never once saw her crack a smile despite my best efforts. She wasn't rude by any means, just miserable and unenthused. Other than that, most of the staff was awesome and even those who didn't speak much english were very friendly and accomodating no matter if you speak little or no spanish (despite what I read from some other reviews)! The a la carte was pretty good although no selection for vegan guests. Beds are comfy, pillows and sheets were nice too and the towels were soft not scrachy (which isn't always the case at some hotels). I would definitely stay here again without hesitation but there are many places I want to see before I return. I loved Costa Rica, would even consider moving there. The people are beautiful inside and out and they take education of their people very seriously which is important. You should go!

Room Tip: The rooms with garden view near the disco and a la carte restaurant were newer and not musty. My roo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

What do you want out of your Costa Rican vacation?

Veg-out by the pool while sipping drinks? This property will work well for that, but you will need to get up and walk yourself to the bar get those free drinks.

Surf or swim in the ocean? Rocks and riptides make this beach less than ideal for swimmers. But lots of surfers were out there catching rides. Tidepools in the next-door estuary are fun for kids to explore, or just sit and soak in the sandy pockets.

Venture out to the different sites Guanacaste has to offer? From this mid-coast location you can take day trips north or south and into the interior of the peninsula (trips to Arenal or Monteverde would make for a very long day).

On the plus side:
-Beautifully landscaped gardens with all kinds of tropical birdsong. Several guests reported howler monkey sightings, but I wasn't so lucky. Plentiful frogs and iguanas.
-Friendly and helpful staff. I got an immediate response to my complaint of a slow-draining bathroom sink. The enthusiasm of fitness instructors drew me into the pool for their morning workout to reggaeton, salsa, and other latin beats.
-Close to the town of Tamarindo, but take a taxi, the road will be dusty or muddy, depending on the weather.
-Lots of food options in their huge buffet dining room. Great sushi bar. It's hard to decide between the dozen or so luscious desserts, but the servings are sample size, so you can try them all. Hopefully not all in one sitting.
-On a very busy day (national holiday), the better-located lounge chairs were taken, but there were still plenty available a little further from the pool. On a slow day, we had no problem at all getting lounge chairs.

On the negative side:
-Dining room staff is friendly, but not well managed. When I asked a waitress for coffee, I got an empty cup set in front of me. That seemed to be the limit of her job description. It was someone else's job to fill it, and he was at the other end of the dining room working his way down.
-Rooms are spacious, but furniture is a bit worn and dated.
-Pillows are lumpy.

Other notes:
-The goods sold by local vendors on the beach are better deals than those in Tamarindo's tourist shops. I was very happy with clay pottery and seashell jewelry I purchased.
-Be aware that most of the buildings don't have elevators. Bell staff will carry your luggage when you check in and out. Access rooms are located on the ground floor next to main building.
-This is a Spanish-owned chain, so there are many guests from Spanish-speaking countries, and locals who vacation here, too. All the staff we encountered was English-bilingual, some more proficient than others. If you'd rather be in an American bubble, the Marriott or Westin would be better choices for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

A great location on the beach! The layout was perfect, comfortable and easy walk about the resort. Rooms were clean and quiet. Grounds were always being groomed. Food was good! a nice selection, morning omlet bar was the best! Fresh fruit and salads awesome! The workers were very attentive and helpful, yet never bothered you. LOVED the pool area! Always plenty of chairs, loungers, and tables for everyone! Very relaxing! Great bar and food snack/bar area pool side! nice to have fresh fruit and munchies during the day and between meals. Beach was nice, some rock areas, so needed to be aware of their location and watch the tide. Great place to watch the surfers. SUNSETS every night were AMAZING!! so beautiful ALL week! We walked into town, Tamarindo twice and felt very safe and a nice walk, not too far, bring water, it was hot depending on the time of day. In town, lots to see and do! Did do a snorkel, sailing trip with the Blue Dolphin group and it was THE BEST! Friendly crew, great food and drinks. this was our second time to Costa Rica, our first time at this resort and I would go back in a second!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fernandina Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort. We ( a family of 4) went with 6 other families. So much for kids to do (kids planned activities with the staff), ping pong, darts, swimming, and volleyball that everyone was able to really enjoy themselves Beautiful and incredibly maintained grounds. Incredible nice staff! The beach was cool with lots of tidal pools to explore but not one that you could just go swim in. Lots of rocks. The husbands on trip went surfing and had a blast. Food was mostly good but did really get repetitive. Certain items were excellent-calamari, guacomole, quesidilla, rice and beans, and the pineapple. Food in town was really expensive so it was a value. The walk into town was an interesting journey. Lots of truly pleasant dogs to play with, crabs all over the street, and iguanas. Fun!

Room Tip: Chose a room far from the stage performances at night as they can be loud. Fitness room is hot so w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dover, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I cannot begin to explain the experience my husband and I had at this resort in November. We (and about 50 of our friends and family) came down to Tamarindo to get married. We had done lots of research but had never seen the resort so we had to trust that it would turn out ok. Boy, did it ever! As a bride I can say that the language barrier had me a bit worried at first during the planning but Argerie (the wedding coordinator) assured me everything would be beautiful and perfect. She couldn't have been more right! The wedding was everything we dreamed of, with the sun setting behind us and breathtaking scenery (there wasn't a dry eye in the house). The hotel (and especially Argerie) provided wonderful customer service from the moment we stepped off our shuttle. Greeting our entire party with cocktails and COMPLETE organization. Our guests all had a wonderful time and were happy with the rooms and cleanliness. My husband and I stayed in one of the suite's which was beautiful with two balconies to take in the scenery. The grounds of the resort are meticulous and the wildlife and foliage was interesting and rich. I could go on and on, but I will restrain myself. All I can say is that if you are considering a wedding here I cannot recommend it enough (as long as you are looking for a relaxed, romantic ceremony; this is not the place for an over the top, detail oriented wedding or bride!). Argerie was truly wonderful and I will never be able to thank her enough for such a perfect experience! Thank you Barcelo Langosta Beach for making our dreams come true!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Leominster, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Just back from Costa Rica. Stayed at Barcelo Langosta Beach Resort. Here is my review.
I am an experienced traveler.This resort is a good choice for families and people who seek peace and quiet. Not much to do there.
The resort is located about 3 Kilometers away from the center of Tamarindo. I think its a bit deceiving for them to advertise it as a resort "in Tamarindo". Yes, it's not really that far away, but if you did not rent a car, you would be spending $5 every time and each way when you go back and forth to your resort. That's 5 dollars for a taxi each way. You could walk, but the roads are so bad and muddy at times that you won't want to. So, please keep this in mind. I went back and forth to the town several times a day and at the end of the vacation it adds up.

The reason why, like me, you will find yourself going back and forth to the town is because there really isn't much to do at the resort. Yes, they have a great pool, but besides that, there really isn't much else. Yes, the resort is right on the water, but that beach is not really suited for swimming. The beach behind the resort is not a swimming beach. Its dirty with trash and huge rock mass.
You will want to go to the town because there is lots to do there. There are lots of restaurants, activities, bars, dancing and best of all it has the best beach in the immediate area.
Also, be prepared to be surrounded by locals. While I was there it appeared to me that 90% of the guests were locals. Nothing wrong with that, I am Hispanic, I am comfortable with that, but some of y'all might not.

A word about the Costa rican people and how they see all of us (Americans) while on vacation there. While I was there I spoke in great length with lots of locals about what they think about so many Americans in the town. Tamarindo is almost 99.9% American owned and the only thing happening there is tourism.
The locals seem to have a Like-Dislike type of view on this. They like the fact that they have jobs that they would otherwise not have if it wasn't for tourism, but they really dislike the fact that it seems as if they have lost a piece of their country and some their nationalism with it. Perhaps, that's why some of them appear to too happy to see you there.

Overall, the resort is good. Quiet. Lots of vegetation. It looks like you are in the forest at times.
Location: Okay.
The location is only good if you have rented a car, otherwise you will find yourself taking a taxi back and forth everywhere you go. You could walk to the town, but you won't want to. Bad roads. Real bad.

Internet: BAD, BAD, BAD
This resort charges you for the wifi. Horrible. It's very expensive. About 12 dollars a day. On top of that the wifi they offer sucks. Paying for wifi sucks. Period.

Rooms: Great
Great, beautiful, spacious, modern. This was probably the best part of the resort. Their rooms are huge and comfortable. Great AC. Refrigerator, Balcony, Water and Drinks in room daily,etc, etc.

Food: Good
The food at the resort was plentiful and with a great variety. Some people complained about the food. I think the food was quite appropriate. Some local dishes were also in the mix with your normal buffet style regulars. By the way, when they say that alcoholic drinks are included, they are not being quite honest. There is only one bar and it closes at midnight. The only drinks you can get there for free are local drinks. Local beer and local rums and whiskeys. They are horrible. If you want other drinks you have to buy them. I had never heard of this before. Something to keep in mind.

Staff Friendliness: Okay
Now, I have a bit of an issue with some of the friendliness or lack of as I noticed. I have traveled quite a bit and I can recognize friendly staff who are happy doing their jobs. IN MY OPINION, the staff at this resort is only as friendly as it has to be.
The front desk staff is not very friendly at all and I even spoke to them in Spanish the entire time (I speak perfect Spanish. I am Hispanic). The rest of the hotel staff really does not appear to like what they do for a living. You can tell. They are only as friendly as they have to be.

Entertainment: Poor
The entertainment at the resort, in my opinion is poor. They have a band that plays music in the late afternoons. They would be better off having a DJ with some attitude.
They have a show they put together every night. Its a mess. I guess if you have enough alcohol in your system you might enjoy it. The show performers really are forcing themselves to smile. They simply do not seem to want to be there. Its a mess.
Better than nothing I guess. You can have a better time taking a 5 dollar taxi into town and walking around. Its a lot more happening.

If I go back to visit Tamarindo, Will I stay at this resort? probably if I go with my family or when I get older or if I have a car.
Hope you enjoy my review. Hope it helps in making your decision.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, the beaches in Tamarindo are not really nice. If you are looking for the best beach i...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Angus, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Costa Rican people are what made this hotel so great! Their friendly service and attentiveness was wonderful. The buffet always had choices and the food was fresh and tasty. The a la carte was very nice with a good variety to choose from. Their corn soup is fantastic! The beach is definitely more for surfing and there were always surfers to watch. You can always swim in the river though if you're willing to take a bit of a walk up past the rapids and of course there is the pool. The chicken, nachos, and fresh pico de gallo at the snack bar were our favourites. The spa has many different packages to choose from and their prices are below the price I would have to pay at home and the staff is very professional. Our room was in the 4500 block. We had a view of the ocean, the river, and the jungle. We were above the amphitheatre and could sometimes here the activities but the sounds did not keep us awake nor wake us up. Sitting on our balcony having coffee in the morning was wonderful with the views we had and the availability of the monkeys, racoons, birds, and lizards to entertain us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Langosta Beach? Share your experiences!