“Good hotel, nice pool, but poorish beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Langosta Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Langosta Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Langosta Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   El Robledal, La Uruca, Tamarindo 1150, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 23 hotels in Tamarindo
Montreux
“Good hotel, nice pool, but poorish beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The hotel has nice rooms, people are very friendly and helpful

The hotel is quite a fair distance from the town along a dusty, bumpy road.

The restaurant is a buffet type, wide choice, quality is regular, the meat wasn't particularly good.

We did not try the "à la carte" restaurant with service at the table.

The pool is big and well cared for.

The beach is not very good. There are a lot of rocks in the water.
The red flag was shown everyday during the 4 days we were there although there was only little wind. The reason was apparently strong currents in the water.

People in the group we travelled with said that some 2 km along the beach away from the hotel there was a very nice sandy stretch, but not guarded. we did not go there ourselves.

We enjoyed our 4 days stay but for instance 14 days would have been far too long for our liking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

899 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Victoria, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We traveled to Tamarindo for 2 weeks, march 2013. Am planning back my next trip to Costa Rica, who needs to go to Mexico where cops drive around with sub machine guns in Toyota's when you can go to a country where the cops hand you tour information, you can drink the water and the people of the country are treated fairly by their government?

The Hotel itself : clean, beautifully landscaped area although I did wonder about the water usage if the area continues to be developed by bigger hotels because the coast here is pretty dry. Don't expect a lush rainforest, you need to go to the interior for that, the coast is dry, hot, hot, hot and normally breezy (thank goodness or you'd melt) Pool, clean and big enough for relaxing or water volleyball. No problem with chairs around pool, that is because the hotel was half empty. Although it was high on spring break, and the restaurant always seemed relatively busy, the place is half empty. Tried to go to the nightclub one night with the teenagers - there was 7 teens and three of us moms in there. As far as I know it was empty every other night. Casino my husband tried to go to one night but same thing, left cause he was bored. I popped my head in there one night, 8 staff, a huge tray of appetizers on the bar and not a single person in there. Somewhere they must make money off it, but I was surprised as I thought it would be a lot busier at spring break time.

Rooms : we stayed in building 5000. I had requested a room not near the night club because I was concerned about noise and drunken goofs at 3 am but that ended up being a non issue. The building was close to the night club, but it was not busy so not an issue. LOVED the room. This was probably the last big trip with the two kids as my son is graduating soon and I warned them "sorry but you are going to have to share a bed". SO happy when we got in there and it was lovely loft room with two queen beds on the main and a third queen in the loft! Did not know I was getting that and did not pay extra for it - just booked a 2 bed for four people. Third floor of 5000 rocked. Not sure if other buildings had this. Beds were fine - not pieces of rock.

Food : again, depends on your tastes, my husband was thrilled and gained 10 pounds, my daughter happy with the nightly sushi. I wasn't big on the food but I believe that is due to my own personal fussiness. A lot of deep fry (fish etc), two pastas every night but noodles drenched in butter to stop them from drying out, mixed dishes with sauces and gravies, but a number of entrees. Upside : always fresh fruit and veggies which are considerably more tasty when fresh. Breakfast : all the basics, again scrambled eggs bathed in butter and saucy mixed dishes. The pool snack bar was the hit with the kids, best fried chicken and they made a great little wrap with chicken, cheeses and peppers. Lots of rice and beans, which I enjoyed but appreciate others may not.

A la Carte Restaurant : I wish I could have afforded to eat here every night, we only did the once that was included in the stay. Stuffed mussels and chicken in Gorgonzola sauce and the biggest (and best) filet Mignon I've ever seen in my life. Chocolate mousse - wow! (although we couldn't eat it all cause it was too rich) This restaurant has got to be how they get the star rating they do, it was fab.

Entertainment : band playing most days at snack bar but not loud so not annoying. Night shows, they are all dance shows where the staff show off their moves, and they are pretty damn good! They are all crazy in shape and do a fun show, but it feels a bit repetitive as it is a dance show every night - they work really hard at this. One night of karaoke. dance lessons at the snack bar - usually about 6 or 7 people did that at a time, and that was one of the more involved items. Pool table in snack area did not have a cue ball. pool table in lobby also worked fine - pay a $1 to play. Darts - sort of, they crappiest little darts ever, and it's breezy so hard to play, although after a couple Tequila sunrises it is all in fun. Ping pong right at the pool, they come around and invite you for archery ever couple days which is done at the tennis courts (who can play tennis in 32 degree heat?), water aerobics, water and beach volleyball is the thing that most people get involved in. the rest of it is more of what you make of it.

Beach : funny how we see things differently. Another traveler was complaining about the beach while we were there and how disappointed he was and I was thinking "are you kidding me?" When you walk out there is volcanic rock directly in front of the hotel past the beach volleyball (which is a nightly favorite with many). Walk to the right and travel through a variety of white sand, black volcanic sand, areas where where the entire beach is nothing but crushed shells - gorgeous. (Go this way on Friday or Sat for an hour long $40 massage on the beach - absolutely lovely) To the left a small (and can be fast depending on tide) river that comes out than separates us from the large beach. Everyone goes across but my husband did see one night the lifeguard (always on duty, and he told me he has to rescue people ALL the time) have to go across in a boat to get two girls who went across when the tide was down, but came back when it had come up enough that they could not get back. Beach on this side : nothing but sand for miles and miles and miles. Swimming is beautiful, if you know about oceans (we live on the ocean), if you've never been to the ocean or inexperienced then understand that waves come in, and waves go OUT (although they go out underwater - riptides) and you need to be aware. The beach did have signs showing inexperienced people where to swim to be safe - pay attention to them. Surfing : only if you are experienced, there were surfers there every day - and one night when the surf was high we all sat on the beach and gaped at them - some pretty amazing waves!

Staff : lovely, we generally found the people in Costa Rica a bit more reserved than in Mexico, but also found them to be more genuine - you don't get fake smiles the instant you say hi. I think some readers may have interpreted this as grumpy, but we did not feel so, we had lovely ladies in the restaurant helping my son with his Spanish assignment and both staff and vendors on beach (only three at a time down there, they switch out morning and afternoon vendors and do not approach you, you have to go talk to them - no pressure) knew who were were within a few days and conversations were relaxed and easy.

Activities : Tabacon (amazing, don't get scared by the "expensive" label -it is less money than you'd pay in north american by far, and an experience we will remember forever), surfing in Tamarindo by Iguana - great, and exhausting, Palo Verde highly recommend, zip lining - I had some small complaints but that is also due to previous experiences - good day, tamarindo shopping - a number of stores to poke around in for souvenirs, snorkeling - good, but in a pacific coast way that is NOT the same as the Caribbean, pacific coast water is a lot murkier don't go in with expectations of crystal clear water and teeming coral reefs, hike through the rainforest.

Going back ? : yes, but when I go back I'll rent a condo and a car. Easy and safe to drive around the country, everything super well marked, roads are fab except in the actual towns but transport roads between larger areas well taken care of and paved, marked and lighted at night. I'd book time on the coast and time in the rain forest next time, there was so much to see near Arenal and we only had one day there.

Review : Barcelo was great for families, great for teens, probably not great for the twenty something party crowd unless you are there at a busier time than we were.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Our first trip to Costa Rica for a surf vacation. We were definitely steered to the WRONG hotel for us....Booked oceanview, not available, booked adjoining room, not available. Bright blue light on the air conditioner that illuminated THE ENTIRE ROOM when you were trying to sleep. Could possibly gain 20 pounds in a week staying here! Cruise ship type bands day and night, endless buffet food, obese elderly people laying everywhere...like the other guy said, go here to die!
Hotel policy says tips are included but obviously they don't share them with the employees, they all seemed bitter and grumpy (probably from being surrounded by power eating geezers all day!)

And the minibar fridge kept everything warm and toasty, bummer.

I'm not a total hater: Loved the monkeys and iguanas cruising around. Loved the old guy selling necklaces on the beach. Loved the fried plantians on the buffet, but didn't love what they did to my weight! lol

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Leamington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was a very clean hotel, staff was very friendly and helpful, food was good.Always had fresh fruit available.I would come back here any time.We went on a few tours, we used alexonthebeach.com you could do ptivate tours with your own group which we liked, we went to the rain forest, water falls and river tour, they were all amazing.Alex the tour guide spoke very good
English which was a bonus.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Mandan. ND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We (3 couples) stayed at the Barceló Langosta Beach Hotel 2-2-13 to 2-14-13. The Hotel is very nice and the staff was very good. The reason for the 3 stars is the food was average at best. It seemed pretty good the first few days and after that was just very repetitious, maybe we just stayed to long! The Hotel was clean for the most part, and the grounds are very beautiful... from the monkeys in the trees to the iguana's lurking poolside. There is not much of a beach in front of the pool area, but if you can cross the river (tough at high tide) there is ample beach to use as you see fit. While we were there, we saw nests of the Leatherback turtles and watched some local environmentalist's dig up the young turtles and eggs, pretty neat! There were alot of people surfing most days, but not much of an area to try to snorkle. The entertainment at night was very loud in our room, but then we were very close to the disco and entertainment area, might be best to try to stay away from that area if you are early to bed like we are. The weather was fantastic, low to mid 90's every day with a little breeze. Overall, we enjoyed our vacation and would more than likely go back to the Barceló Langosta if we return to Costa Rica.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We loved staying at this resort because everyone was very friendly and accommadating. The rooms were clean. The bathroom was unique with the highest tub/shower I have ever been in. We loved the balcony facing the forest where we saw iquanas and howler monkeys. The pool and beach were perfect. The best part of the day was cocktails at the pool. We stayed 4/1-4/5 in 2013.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed at the Barcelo Langosta from 4/1- 4/5. Arrived late evening and we were greeted with a plate of food because the buffet was closed. The resort was well-kept, our room was clean, the pool was beautiful as was the beach. The buffet was fine for our needs. The staff was friendly and could not do enough for you. The pool bar was awesome and the snacks were good. Jussy, the tour operator who booked our boat tour was very nice and honest about what we were in for. We saw a howler monkey, iguanas and beautiful birds outside our room. I can't complain about a thing! We plan to go back!

Room Tip: We were in the 6200 block of rooms and it was fine. Saw the howler monkey one morning in the trees o...