“wonderful resort and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Langosta Beach

You added Barcelo Langosta Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Langosta Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   El Robledal, La Uruca, Tamarindo 1150, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
Richmond, Virginia
“wonderful resort and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We had two rooms at the barcelo langosta resort at playa langosta near the surfing town of tamarindo in the guanacaste region of costa rica. My husband and I and 4 sons 15, 18, 20 and 21 went on a long awaited family vacation and it was wonderful. The service was excellent and the staff was very friendly. The food was excellent with a tremendous variety. This is an all inclusive resort with is perfect for teenage boys. We never even felt the need to go out to dinner or eat anywhere else. Although; there were red or black flags out on the beach most of the time, we enjoyed the pool and went to the beach in tamarindo for surfing. We enjoyed the evening shows, and the activities crew were around all day every day with all sorts of fun games, sports and activities. This is a great place for families, and there were also some newlyweds there enjoying themselves as well. I'm not a world traveler (yet), but I thought this was a great resort.

Room Tip: ask for the closest building to the pool for your room. They are the closest to the main area and...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

My wife and three teenagers and I just returned from a one week stay at the Barcelo Longasta Beach in Tamarindo. This place isn't terrible; it just isn't great. Costa Rica on the other, is great! The point of this review is that if you're going to spend the money to go to Costa Rica, you should stay someplace that isn't disappointing. Unfortunately, the Barcelo is disappointing.

My recommendation is simple: don't stay at the Barcelo. It was the cheapest all-inclusive that I could find, but, as is often the case, you get what you pay for. I would recommend staying at the RIU. I know it is certainly more expensive and that's why we didn't choose to stay there in the first place. However, on our flight back from Costa Rica, we met several people who stayed there, and they all raved about it. Or perhaps stay in Flamingo or at a resort in another beach town on the Pacific side, just not Tamarindo. (Our scuba trip left from the Flamingo resort, so we drove back there on our last day and spent an afternoon at the beach. I can't speak as to the Flamingo resort, but my wife and kids and I all loved the beach in Flamingo.) Again, I want to emphasize that we absolutely loved Costa Rica. I just wish I would have paid the extra amount to stay somewhere nicer.

Here are the pluses and minuses regarding the Barcelo. On the plus-side, the grounds at the Barcelo are beautiful and well-maintained. The pool is very nice, the staff are all very pleasant, and I think they try to be quite helpful. We loved the howler monkeys near the tennis courts. We also enjoyed several of our excursions. The scuba diving with Pacific Coast Dive Company in Flamingo was awesome. We swam with sharks and saw lots of sea life. We all enjoyed the ATV/Canopy tour too! There is a lot to see and do in Costa Rica! You can't possibly do it all in one vacation.

On a less positive note, the beach at the Barcelo is almost unusable because of the strong surf, the food at the Barcelo is mediocre, the mixed-drinks are truly awful, and the staff (again while very pleasant) speak very little English, which is a problem if you have any difficulties during your stay. Also, wi-fi internet access is only available in the lobby. You have to buy a pass from the front desk, and it costs about $10 per day per user. You can get a 6 day pass which is a little cheaper, but I didn't learn this until we had been there a few days and was talking to another guest about the problems with the internet. (The internet cuts out about every 10 minutes for some reason. I used the internet every day, except one, because I had to check in at work for about an hour every morning, and everyday it would cut out on me every 10 minutes or so. It was very annoying.)

Regarding the beach, it's important to remember that Tamarindo is a surf town. If you're a surfer, by all means, go to Tamarindo. If you're not a surfer, look for a different resort in a different beach town in Costa Rica. (I wish someone had told me this before I booked at the Barcelo.) The waves are very strong around Tamarindo. I know what you're thinking. How bad can it be? When we were at the resort, the red flag was up every day but one, which meant that the guests were forbidden from going out into the surf. You wouldn't have wanted to go out into the surf anyway. The beach near the resort has lots of rocks too, and anyone swimming in the surf would have been swept into the rocks by the waves. The beach in town is better and my kids enjoyed their surf lesson there, but you don't want to walk a mile into town to go to the beach. (Also, the road from town to the Barcelo isn't paved for the last half mile. I'm not kidding.)

Ultimately, the beach is the one problem that the Barcelo can't fix. They may improve on the food, which would help. They might start using better alcohol and making great mixed-drinks, which would also be nice. However, they can't do anything about the beach. (In fact, I urge you to read the other reviews. Even the people who gave the Barcelo 5 stars don't say nice things about the beach.) The Barcelo resort is stuck with a terrible beach that can't be used most of the time. The beach isn't why I went to Costa Rica. I went for all the adventure tours. But if you're anything like my wife and two teenage daughters, and you are looking forward to spending even a little bit of time at the beach while you're in Costa Rica, you'll really want to stay somewhere else.

(On a side note, June is the start of the rainy season in Costa Rica. We didn't find this to be a problem. Much like Florida in the summer, it rained for an hour or two in the late afternoon four or five days out of the seven we were in Costa Rica, but it didn't really interfere with much that we were doing. It rolls through and then tends to clear up.)

With respect to the food at the Barcelo, as I said, it's mediocre. I'm not saying it's all bad. It's just not really good. For comparison purposes, I'd say it's a couple of steps down in quality and variety from the typical fare on a Carnival Cruise. We're not picky eaters, and we could find something to eat every night. However, there was very little that was spectacular. (One definite exception was the Bananas Foster with a few churro pastries on the side. It's a terrific combination that one of my daughters found, and we all loved it!)

Also, we understood from the resorts website and a few of the reviews that there would be sushi at least a few nights during our stay. Unfortunately, the sushi bar was never open. When I asked one of the waitresses which nights they would be serving sushi, she shook her head and said with a smile "No Sushi" I responded "when, when will they have sushi, cuando?" Her response, again, "No Sushi." That's about how it went for us at the Barcelo. In fact, we were laughing with another couple on our scuba trip who got a similar response when they inquired about the sushi bar. We never did figure out what the problem was. I suspect the sushi chefs went on vacation during the low season.

As I noted above, the mixed-drinks at the Barcelo are terrible and the wine wasn't much better. I drank the local beer, which is on tap, and it was fine. However, my wife was quite disappointed. I tried a few of her drinks after she commented that they weren't good, and she was right. After a few attempts, my wife finally gave up and stuck to bottled water.

This has nothing to do with the Barcelo, but, if I had one more piece of advice about visiting Costa Rica, it would be to stay a few nights near the Arenal volcano. We had a rental car and drove there one morning, but it took us about 4 hours to get there. We all played in the waterfall near the base of the volcano. Rather than trying to make the drive back in the dark (the roads in Costa Rica nead some work), we ended up spending one night at the Lodge at Arenal for $150. I wish we could have stayed longer. Several people told us that the Baldi and the Los Lagos were nice places to stay with hot springs. The next time we go back to Costa Rica . . . and we will go back . . . we'll stay five nights at a resort and two nights at Arenal. It was really cool and is not to be missed.

Finally, to be fair, our stay at the Barcelo didn't start well. We had two rooms, and, despite having made reservations months in advance, our rooms weren't close to each other. With two teenage daughters and a teenage son sharing one room and my wife and I in another room, this made us a little uncomfortable. I tried to explain my concerns, but all I got in response was "No other rooms; no other rooms" despite the fact that the place was only half full. To make matters worse, we had no towels in either room when we arrived, so I went down to the front desk and politely requested towels in Spanish and in English. (I can't speak much Spanish, but I did try as much as I could.) To make a long story short, I had to request towels a total of four times over two days before they finally brought them to me as I stood at the front desk waiting the evening of the second day. While it was ridiculous, it didn't ruin our stay. It was simply frustrating that they didn't have a single person on site who could speak English well enough to deal with a rather simple problem. For me, it was a lesson learned. I'll certainly brush up on my Spanish before we ever head back to Costa Rica.

Sorry for the overly-long review. I've never written a review that was so long or so negative. Obviously, I/we had some strong feelings about the Barcelo Longasta. I just hope I can help some people avoid making the same mistake that we made.

Room Tip: Go to Costa Rica, but stay somewhere else.
Rome, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

I just recently got back from Costa Rica and a stay at Barcelo Langosta in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. We loved this place. It could use some updating but it is clean, safe, has great food, and friendly people and comfortable beds. We had a group of Howler Monkeys outside our room on two days and we also saw Iguanas, and lots of beautiful birds on the property. The property is located about a 20minute walk from the town of Tamarindo or a 5 minute cab ride. The beach was beautiful. It has dark sand and lots of crushed shells and lava rock. A clear river runs next to the property and spills into the ocean. Very beautiful. The beach isn't like the Carribean, with white sands and clear blue water. Langosta Beach is beautiful in a wild rugged sort of way. We booked our trip through Delta Vacations and our Delta representative at the resort was Jusy through TAM tours. She met us on arrival and was available through out the day. We booked three tours through TAM tours and the service was excellent. We went to Arenal Volcano with included lunch and and stop at La Fortuna Waterfall. We then stopped at The Springs Resort and Spa for dinner. If you get to do this trip then so it. Jose with TAM was our guide and he was excellent, knowledgable, and patient. The path to the waterfall goes straight through the rainforest; beautiful! La Fortuna waterfall is breathtaking and the river is crystal clear. A word of caution if you do this tour you should be fairly healthy and not have bad knees or breathing problems. The path to the waterfall is steep, uneven, and almost straight up at times. Going down isn't so bad. Going up is a nightmare. Add the humidity in and it makes for a rough ride back up. It is still worth it and you can swim in the river if you get to hot. Afterwards we had dinner at The Springs Resort and Spa! I highly recommend this place. The resort has volcanic hot springs through out the property and views of the volcano.
We also booked a ziplining tour through TAM at Cartagena. I wasn't sure if I could do it because I am afraid of heights but it was a great experience. The guides go along with you the whole way and they are very safe and cautious with there guests. The last excursion we booked was Palo Verde river cruise. Jose was our guide again. We saw a Scarlet Macaw, Lizards, Alligators, and all sorts of exotic birds along the way.
We went to Costa Rica during the rainy season but it didn't interfere with our plans. It is usually sunny during the first part of the day and then it may rain for an hour or so in the afternoon. I recommend booking your excursions in the morning so that you can avoid the afternoon showers. I would definitely go back to Costa RIca in the rainy season. It may be a little wetter and more human; but the foliage is lush and green. If I go back I will definitely stay at Barcelo Langosta.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

The good reviews on this site could not have been more spot on accurate. You CANNOT go wrong with Barcelo Langosta Beach. This place is amazing, very afforable, and the perfect resort for kids, young adults and young at hearts. Something for everyone.
The beach is beautiful outside the hotel. To the left is clean sandy beach for miles and to the right is a gorgeous rocky wave crashing beach. Excellent combination. The beach in Tamarindo is beautiful too and the city is a $5 cab ride away which we never had trouble with. Everyone is SUPER nice in Costa Rica and just very chill.
We took surf lessons at Witch's Rock Surf Shop which was a blast. I surfed 2 more days on my own. Great workout and very fun!
We also did a day trip to Rinco de la Vieja. We booked through one of the places in the hotel which was actually cheaper than others in town (probably because it wasn't a private tour) and it was a great trip. Ziplines, horseback riding, giant waterslide (awesome!), and hot springs. We also booked snorkling through the same group in the hotel which worked out great too.
So back to the hotel. The food was VERY VERY good. It kind of got repetitive (maybe because we were there for 9 days) but we never complained or went hungry. The drinks are as advertised on here. Not their specialty. If you don't mind cheap liquor you'll be fine. If you are a liquor snob, bring your own.
And the best part of the hotel was the activty/entertainment staff. These guys and girls were so much fun! We played volleyball in the pool, ping pong, pool, etc every day with them. We also met a surprising number of 20-somethings (which we are too) so the combination of young americans and the young Costa Rican staff was the highlight of the trip for me. We spent all day with them at the pool most days and then went to their shows every night and hung out in the disco afterwards until they kicked us out. The shows are VERY entertaining. We were shocked at how talented the dancers and the house band were and we fell in love with it all.
All in all, this place was perfect. If you are a first timer in Costa Rica, it is a great place to get your feel of the country and people. Tamarindo is a great mix of Americans and super friendly Costa Ricans and the Barcelo just makes everything very easy. Pura Vida!!

Luling, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

The resort was awesome, perfect and beautiful!!!!!! There were lots of activities. Beach beach beach, pool, pool, pool. The entertainers at the resort were adorable. See attached pics.

We would start our day at the buffet for breakfast, go to the beach, back to the buffet for lunch, to the pool in the afternoon and enjoy the best fried chicken ever, back to the buffet for dinner, to the theater to see the most adorable dancers, to the disco and finally to bed. Whew!!!

We went ATVing and zip lining through the Rain Forest. We did the catamaran and snorkeling. This was the first time I had ever done any of these activities. OMG.......it was so much fun.

My only compliant was that I didn't get drunk. errrrrrrr The drinks were horrible and weak. Next time I know to go to town and get some real liquor or tip the bar tenders. "Who knew?" The food was delicious and lots of it!!!! We had eight people in our party. See attached pics. When I come back, I will stay here at the Barcelo Langosta Beach, Tamarindo, Costa Rica again.

The airport does not have AC and it is hot hot hot. See pic.

COSTA RICA IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

Luling, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Everything was delightful and beautiful.. The food was delicious and plentiful.The drinks were disappointing, bad booze.
The theater group was fantastic!!! The entire staff were great.
I'll be back asap!!!

Room Tip: Any room is good.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I agree with most of the otherv reviewers. The grounds are beautiful and the staff works really hard someone is always cleaning something.

Two things you should know..one night when we we eating dinner two racoons tried to jump up on the table. The waiter chased them off. Then the next day a bird stole my toast. Since you really can't see anything from the dinning room especially at night I think they should install a little fence to keep the criiters out.

The second thing is the only air conditioing is in your room. The lobby and the dining room both just use ceiling fans. It was really hot when we were there so it wasn't enough and I don't really use alot of a/c at home.

Also if you go into Tamarindo and come back late at night the taxi drivers try and double charge you with some kind of night premium.

This is a really nice hotel but it was almost all couples and families, at some point I think we were the only single girls. If you are single you may want to stsy in town.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Barcelo Langosta Beach? Share your experiences!