“Fabulous Beachfront Resort!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
Tiburon, California
“Fabulous Beachfront Resort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

We checked in to the El Diria after checking out of another disappointing hotel in Tamarindo. We are a family of four that traveled with a 3 and 6 year old for a three week trip to Costa Rica. We had a ground floor, beachfront room at the El Diria. It was paradise for our family! We could walk out to the beautiful large baby pool and swimming pool. We could see our son on his boogie board in the ocean from the room and covered porch. The grounds are spacious and spectacular. Guests have access to the largest pool in Tamarindo a short walk across the street that is part of the El Diria. It is enormous, with zero entry for the little ones. The breakfast buffet is delicious and the service warm and prompt.

We plan to return to this hotel next year and relive our wonderful memories! It is worth the trip, and by far the nicest hotel to stay in while visiting Tamarindo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
lexington, ky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Diria this June as a part of a travel package. We were a bit concerned about some of the reviews. We booked it at a great price, so we weren't expecting the best. We were relieved when we arrived. The hotel is nice and has a great location. It is right on the beach and within walking distance to many places to eat. Don't miss the breakfast buffet. They did not have safes in the room, so I was a bit worried since every guidebook strongly reccomends you lock up you valuables in CR. The desk has an envelope system in place for their safe and I had no problems with it. The service was inconsistent, some staff were extra nice and others couldn't be bothered. The bellman was extra helpful, he even tried to help me find a lost bottle of sunscreen at the pool. We did get a great deal, so we were very pleased. If we had paid a lot more, I think we would have just been satisfied though. We had a great time on the horseback riding tour booked through the hotel. Absolutely worth the money!

• Stayed June 2006
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2006

My wife and I spent three nights in Tamarindo at the end of an 11 night trip across Costa Rica. I personally found this hotel to be the most pleasant of our entire trip.

The view from our Sunset room was fantastic and aside from a short power outage we experienced none of the problems in service and accomadation mentioned in previous reviews. The room itself was average but the grounds and pool area were very nice. Location is ideal with great beach access and right in the center of town which allowed us to easily go out for our meals. Breakfast buffet was very good; although we did order dinner one evening at the hotel and it was terrible.

Overall, it was an enjoyable experience.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

The mixed reviews for the Diria are all pretty acurate. Best location, excellent staff, the buffet breakfast is a necessity-I wouldn't know where to get a cup of coffee otherwise.We felt very safe.
The most negative part of the hotel for us was the hard beds & pillows.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

As a single woman traveling alone this hotel came highly recommended by a good friend and I am sorry to say I do not recommend this hotel and was very disappointed in the hotel and it's staff. I tried my best to be very polite when explaining my concerns but it got me no where fast.The positives are that it is a lovely location, the sunset and beach view is amazing (keep in mind you are paying for that) and that the rooms and dining areas are kept very clean. There are so many negatives though. I had problems with the phones-I was disconnected during two important calls, on two different occations and still charged for these phone calls even though the staff told me they knew there had been problems with the phone lines. Secondly I had problems with loud noises in the walls and ceiling during the night. When I reporteed this the very first night I was told someone would come to help me and check out the problem. Only after several inquiries at the desk and two days later was I told it was raccoons in the walls and I could move to another room if need be. I had problems with inappropriate behavior of one of he security guards on staff. This problem took several more calls to my travel agency paid by me and a whole day of worry to even slightly get resolved. Not good.
Keep in mind also the information for the hotel states there are safes located in the rooms-and there was not one in my sunset/ocean view room. I felt all in all that the staff and management was more about
making money than with trying to accomdate or be even friendly and helpful with any of my conserns. I love Tamarindo I will go back-I just will never stay there again.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2006

I will try not to trash the place as it is perfectly adequate for a lot of people just not for me. First I will go over the negatives I encountered. To start with I first requested on the phone, then via email, an additional night on my reservation 1 week in advance. When I stopped by the night before I was supposed to check in they had no record of the additional night although they had charged my credit card for it. Luckily it wasn't an issue as it was the slow season and they had plenty of rooms. The A/C unit blew room temperature air and it was very hot the night we stayed. We left the room at around 6:30 for dinner and notified the front desk about the problem and were told someone would look at it. We returned around 8:30 and it had not been taken care of so I called the front desk and again asked for someone to come up. We waited until 9:30 and still no help. We were very tired and decided to just go to sleep. I am sure the problem with our A/C is not a widespread at the hotel but it was a big inconvenience. In the morning the toilet did not work. The entire second floor was affected by this but the hotel had it fixed within 90 minutes. Also, the beds are not very comfortable, I am not very picky about what I sleep on unless I can feel springs in my back. Now for the positives. The free breakfast buffet is great, don't miss it if you stay here. The location cannot be beat, right on the good part of the bay. Not too many rocks. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I don't know whose responsibility it was to see that someone looked at our A/C so I do not have any unkind words for the service staff. The standard rooms are adequate but small and a bit overpriced for what you get. Remember that you are paying for location. One last note. I am a bit of a snob when it comes to spoiled snotty Americans. This place is full of them and it was embarrassing at times. I hate entitled tourists.

Centralia, Wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2006

We loved El Diria. There was a mix up with our original hotel and we badly needed 3 hotel rooms for one night. The Diria accommodated us, and we were not disappointed. They desk staff is helpful, the buffet breakfast was tasty, the pool and ocean access was great, and the rooms were very colorful.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort? Share your experiences!