“Great location” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Tamarindo Beach, Tamarindo 506, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

The mixed reviews for the Diria are all pretty acurate. Best location, excellent staff, the buffet breakfast is a necessity-I wouldn't know where to get a cup of coffee otherwise.We felt very safe.
The most negative part of the hotel for us was the hard beds & pillows.

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

As a single woman traveling alone this hotel came highly recommended by a good friend and I am sorry to say I do not recommend this hotel and was very disappointed in the hotel and it's staff. I tried my best to be very polite when explaining my concerns but it got me no where fast.The positives are that it is a lovely location, the sunset and beach view is amazing (keep in mind you are paying for that) and that the rooms and dining areas are kept very clean. There are so many negatives though. I had problems with the phones-I was disconnected during two important calls, on two different occations and still charged for these phone calls even though the staff told me they knew there had been problems with the phone lines. Secondly I had problems with loud noises in the walls and ceiling during the night. When I reporteed this the very first night I was told someone would come to help me and check out the problem. Only after several inquiries at the desk and two days later was I told it was raccoons in the walls and I could move to another room if need be. I had problems with inappropriate behavior of one of he security guards on staff. This problem took several more calls to my travel agency paid by me and a whole day of worry to even slightly get resolved. Not good.
Keep in mind also the information for the hotel states there are safes located in the rooms-and there was not one in my sunset/ocean view room. I felt all in all that the staff and management was more about
making money than with trying to accomdate or be even friendly and helpful with any of my conserns. I love Tamarindo I will go back-I just will never stay there again.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2006

I will try not to trash the place as it is perfectly adequate for a lot of people just not for me. First I will go over the negatives I encountered. To start with I first requested on the phone, then via email, an additional night on my reservation 1 week in advance. When I stopped by the night before I was supposed to check in they had no record of the additional night although they had charged my credit card for it. Luckily it wasn't an issue as it was the slow season and they had plenty of rooms. The A/C unit blew room temperature air and it was very hot the night we stayed. We left the room at around 6:30 for dinner and notified the front desk about the problem and were told someone would look at it. We returned around 8:30 and it had not been taken care of so I called the front desk and again asked for someone to come up. We waited until 9:30 and still no help. We were very tired and decided to just go to sleep. I am sure the problem with our A/C is not a widespread at the hotel but it was a big inconvenience. In the morning the toilet did not work. The entire second floor was affected by this but the hotel had it fixed within 90 minutes. Also, the beds are not very comfortable, I am not very picky about what I sleep on unless I can feel springs in my back. Now for the positives. The free breakfast buffet is great, don't miss it if you stay here. The location cannot be beat, right on the good part of the bay. Not too many rocks. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I don't know whose responsibility it was to see that someone looked at our A/C so I do not have any unkind words for the service staff. The standard rooms are adequate but small and a bit overpriced for what you get. Remember that you are paying for location. One last note. I am a bit of a snob when it comes to spoiled snotty Americans. This place is full of them and it was embarrassing at times. I hate entitled tourists.

Centralia, Wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2006

We loved El Diria. There was a mix up with our original hotel and we badly needed 3 hotel rooms for one night. The Diria accommodated us, and we were not disappointed. They desk staff is helpful, the buffet breakfast was tasty, the pool and ocean access was great, and the rooms were very colorful.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2006

Best place in Tamarindo if you are there for surfing or fishing. Otherwise, no reason to be in region. Great location - rooms quite nice. Staff well meaning but not very professional. Housekeeping adequate - public areas could be a lot cleaner.

Warning - road from Liberia airport (70 KM) was always in poor condition - now dreadful. Dug up for repaving and government ran out of money. Allow 2 hours for 70 KM!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2006

My fiance and I recently had our wedding at the Tamarindo Diria and could not have asked for a more perfect day. The entire staff was AWESOME and made our special day a day to remember. We stayed there after our wedding and everyone from the executive staff to the bartenders to the front desk did everything they could to make the rest of our trip the most memorable trip we have ever had. The grounds are so lush and beautiful, even in the driest of months and the facilities are top notch. I highly recommend this resort to anyone who is thinking of traveling to Costa Rica. You will love it!

Stayed April 2006
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

I'll keep it simple....The positives. - The setting is beautiful. It is centrally located in Tamarindo. It is right on the beach. The sunsets are stupendous from just about any of the public places in this hotel. It has a large bar and well lit dining area right off the beach. The air-conditioning worked perfectly. Towels for beach and pool were provided free and replaced at any time for clean and dry ones. The breakfast, which was part of the deal was plentiful. Great cut-up fruit, freshly made to order omelets and tortillas, as well as all the usual pre-made hot stuff.

The negatives - the beds are hard. The pillows needed to be replaced 5 years ago and the linens were very worn and coarse. The soap provided would not produce a bit of suds. The guys at the front desk, bellmen and front entrance guards were all courteous, responsive and helpful but the waitstaff was horrendous. On several occassions we would walk up to the bar at cocktail hour with perhaps one other person at the bar and the bartenders would stand at the other end doing absolutely nothing until we made an effort to wave them over. Forget about getting a second drink. Maybe I am expecting too much for a bartender to come to me when I sit down at the bar. The same went for the waitresses at the tables for lunch or dinner. The female waitstaff was particularly passive in this regard. We eventually learned that you simply have to make an active signal of some sort to get any attention. You must always ask for the check at the end of dinner and well in advance, they will never bring it to you. Perhaps these are cultural issues but for a hotel that seemed to be populated with 80% americans the culture should be american when it comes to service. They also seem to place a premium on ice so a Gin and Tonic when it finally did come would be cool but never ice cold. The only cold drink I had was a beer.

The large irregualrly shaped pool you see on the website is across the street and up a small hill. The swim-up bar is very unattractive and uninviting and it takes the barkeeps forever to make a simple pina colada. Walking across the street is just not worth it for this scene.

The location and physical plant have so much potential. If they could pull the staff into line and make improvements in service upgrade the bedlinens, this place would be unbeatable.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort? Share your experiences!