“Best location, adequate hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Tamarindo Beach, Tamarindo 506, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #15 of 22 hotels in Tamarindo
New York City
“Best location, adequate hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2006

Best place in Tamarindo if you are there for surfing or fishing. Otherwise, no reason to be in region. Great location - rooms quite nice. Staff well meaning but not very professional. Housekeeping adequate - public areas could be a lot cleaner.

Warning - road from Liberia airport (70 KM) was always in poor condition - now dreadful. Dug up for repaving and government ran out of money. Allow 2 hours for 70 KM!

• Stayed May 2006

1,291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2006

My fiance and I recently had our wedding at the Tamarindo Diria and could not have asked for a more perfect day. The entire staff was AWESOME and made our special day a day to remember. We stayed there after our wedding and everyone from the executive staff to the bartenders to the front desk did everything they could to make the rest of our trip the most memorable trip we have ever had. The grounds are so lush and beautiful, even in the driest of months and the facilities are top notch. I highly recommend this resort to anyone who is thinking of traveling to Costa Rica. You will love it!

Stayed April 2006
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

I'll keep it simple....The positives. - The setting is beautiful. It is centrally located in Tamarindo. It is right on the beach. The sunsets are stupendous from just about any of the public places in this hotel. It has a large bar and well lit dining area right off the beach. The air-conditioning worked perfectly. Towels for beach and pool were provided free and replaced at any time for clean and dry ones. The breakfast, which was part of the deal was plentiful. Great cut-up fruit, freshly made to order omelets and tortillas, as well as all the usual pre-made hot stuff.

The negatives - the beds are hard. The pillows needed to be replaced 5 years ago and the linens were very worn and coarse. The soap provided would not produce a bit of suds. The guys at the front desk, bellmen and front entrance guards were all courteous, responsive and helpful but the waitstaff was horrendous. On several occassions we would walk up to the bar at cocktail hour with perhaps one other person at the bar and the bartenders would stand at the other end doing absolutely nothing until we made an effort to wave them over. Forget about getting a second drink. Maybe I am expecting too much for a bartender to come to me when I sit down at the bar. The same went for the waitresses at the tables for lunch or dinner. The female waitstaff was particularly passive in this regard. We eventually learned that you simply have to make an active signal of some sort to get any attention. You must always ask for the check at the end of dinner and well in advance, they will never bring it to you. Perhaps these are cultural issues but for a hotel that seemed to be populated with 80% americans the culture should be american when it comes to service. They also seem to place a premium on ice so a Gin and Tonic when it finally did come would be cool but never ice cold. The only cold drink I had was a beer.

The large irregualrly shaped pool you see on the website is across the street and up a small hill. The swim-up bar is very unattractive and uninviting and it takes the barkeeps forever to make a simple pina colada. Walking across the street is just not worth it for this scene.

The location and physical plant have so much potential. If they could pull the staff into line and make improvements in service upgrade the bedlinens, this place would be unbeatable.

• Stayed April 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2006

There is a good amount of positive reviews on the Diria, but there are a handful of negative ones too, so I wasn't sure what kind of experience I was going to have here. I must say, my family was planning to stay somewhere else, but we cancelled and chose the Diria instead and boy am I glad we did!!! The hotel is in the perrrfect location... close to a lot of restaurants and stores, and most importantly right on the beach!! beautiful views of the pacific+sunsets, The waves were decent.. nice break off of Pico Pequeno( a small section of reef right in front of hotel). If you walk North, about 2 minutes down the beach towards the river mouth the waves can be alot better. The hotel is close to playa Grande (best, most hollow waves I've ever seen) and Longasta.

The Service: The people at the front desk were always very helpful and were able to provide us with whatever we needed right away, from extra room keys to beach towels. As many of you have read, the Costa Ricans are generally more laid back, and restaurant service isnt going to be as fast, so I was prepared for this, and it didnt bother me at all. Once or twice though, the Diria's waiters took a little too long to reappear, but it didnt matter, and if you are in a rush, someone else would be more than happy to get your check for you. I didnt have my room cleaned everyday, so I figured we'd get screwed on washcloths and bath towels (I had read they can be hard to come by here) but they always made sure they dropped some off later in the day. All in all the service was alot faster and better than i was expecting. I was pleasantly surprised. Considering the breakfast was free, I wasn't expecting too much, but the food was awesome! especially the french toast and fresh fruit and my parents loved the omelets. We arranged our rides to and from the airport with the hotel and everything worked out perfectly with that! Overall, I can't say I've recieved better service than this anywhere else I've stayed!

The Rooms: they were very comfortable (I had an oceanview room) The beds were soft, the room was clean, the shower was HUGE! :), me and the 3 other girls staying in my room always had hot water when needed, and I had read sometimes the plumbing here goes wacko, but had no problems there either. The air condition worked PERFECTLY and boy did it feel good to come back into the room after a long day of the heat outside. We were on the 1st floor and had a good sized porch with lounge chairs and a gorgeous view!! The rooms here were more than I could ask for!!

The Pool/Beach: The pools on the beach side of the hotel were kind of small, but always clean, never really crowded. The hotel has a REALLY nice pool across the street by the condo things. It has a swimup bar, statues, fountains, a bridge going over it and its just beautiful. I used the free drink card that i got when checking in here :) Everyone should definatly check this out. The beach was pretty, the water was blue and pretty clean. They don't have lounge chairs on the beach, I would have liked that,but no biggie. There were locals trying to sell jewelry and such that you can find on all resort beaches, but unlike cancun or other places, if you say no thanks, they understand and leave. they arent all pushy (except for this one coconut guy). The one thing about this beach that you must be aware of is the lava reef! Most of the rocky areas are obvious and easily avoidable, but there was this one small patch that everyone kept stepping on.we all came home with a scrape from that one..so when close to shore, be careful. Oh yes and one more good thing...I was here April 6-13, spring break, probobly one of the busiest weeks of the year, but the beach was never that crowded.. coming from virginia beach, I know what a pain overcrowded beaches can be.

General Stuff: There were plenty of restaurants to choose from a couple that I really liked were Nogui(beach grill), The restaurant at the Hotel Jardin del Eden (romantic/calm atmosphere has italian, seafood, etc.), withches rock restaurant ("nachos as big as your ***" i would reccomend the "nachos mama"). Fun stuff we did that i recommend: the canopy tour (all the employees are super nice), ATV tours, and we rented go-ped things that were a blast to ride around town and explore! I had heard so much about this iguana surf shop,but I could never find the real one.. there is a smaller one across from the hotel. A good place to rent surfboards is hightide surfshop (large selection, but not the cheapest). My sister took a turn too sharp on those scooter things and hurt her leg reallllyy bad, and we were desperate for health care. there isnt much healthcare there, but we decided to go to a clinic in the front of town and they did an awesome job. they spoke good english, and gave her all the meds she needed..infact our doctor here said he wouldnt have done anything different. so if your injured dont be completely afraid of going here.

All in all this was an amazing vacation. It was alot different than the spring break vacations we normally go on. There is so much to do and see that I couldnt do it all in one trip. I can not wait to come back and I will definatly stay at the Diria again. Ahhhhh I cant wait to come back!!!!

• Stayed April 2006
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2006

The Diria looks great from the outside - pretty grounds, nice looking bar/restaurent, etc. But... we found this to be a terrible hotel overall. The food in the restaurants was simply terrible (worst of all of our CR experiences, which were generally great). The room was TINY (and we supposedly had the best in the hotel - sunset ocean view). The AC leaked all over our luggage, ants in the bathroom, shower alternating from scalding hot to freezing cold every tend seconds (and we changed rooms because of this and had the same problem in the second room). The hotel pools are very dirty. Overall, we were extremely disappointed and would not stay here again. We would opt for Capitan Suizo or Cala Luna instead.

• Stayed March 2006
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2006

We just returned from a 2 week stay in Costa Rica and spent a few nights at the Diria. We were pleasantly surprised during our stay because we read some negative reviews about this hotel. We can honestly say that from the time we arrived to the time we left, the hotel staff were amazing...so friendly and were always willing to help. We had no problems whatsoever. It just goes to show how different a persons opinion can be. We stayed in a Sunset Oceanview Room--updated room and really funky. The location of the room was perfect. We could not have asked for a better one. We also found the grounds to be beautiful and very well maintained ..always clean with lawn chairs scattered thoughout the property. The resort makes you feel as though your are in a paradise of your own and you would never know that it's located in the middle of town unless you left the grounds. The beach was great..good for long walks, lots of interesting shells and the water was warm. The only "negative" for us was that we felt the resort lacked the Costa Rican culture that so many other smaller boutique hotels have--the music they played was current "top 40" you would hear in North America which started right at breakfast. Not a big deal though because we still had a great time. Would we return to the hotel? Definately!

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort? Share your experiences!