I'll keep it simple....The positives. - The setting is beautiful. It is centrally located in Tamarindo. It is right on the beach. The sunsets are stupendous from just about any of the public places in this hotel. It has a large bar and well lit dining area right off the beach. The air-conditioning worked perfectly. Towels for beach and pool were provided free and replaced at any time for clean and dry ones. The breakfast, which was part of the deal was plentiful. Great cut-up fruit, freshly made to order omelets and tortillas, as well as all the usual pre-made hot stuff.
The negatives - the beds are hard. The pillows needed to be replaced 5 years ago and the linens were very worn and coarse. The soap provided would not produce a bit of suds. The guys at the front desk, bellmen and front entrance guards were all courteous, responsive and helpful but the waitstaff was horrendous. On several occassions we would walk up to the bar at cocktail hour with perhaps one other person at the bar and the bartenders would stand at the other end doing absolutely nothing until we made an effort to wave them over. Forget about getting a second drink. Maybe I am expecting too much for a bartender to come to me when I sit down at the bar. The same went for the waitresses at the tables for lunch or dinner. The female waitstaff was particularly passive in this regard. We eventually learned that you simply have to make an active signal of some sort to get any attention. You must always ask for the check at the end of dinner and well in advance, they will never bring it to you. Perhaps these are cultural issues but for a hotel that seemed to be populated with 80% americans the culture should be american when it comes to service. They also seem to place a premium on ice so a Gin and Tonic when it finally did come would be cool but never ice cold. The only cold drink I had was a beer.
The large irregualrly shaped pool you see on the website is across the street and up a small hill. The swim-up bar is very unattractive and uninviting and it takes the barkeeps forever to make a simple pina colada. Walking across the street is just not worth it for this scene.
The location and physical plant have so much potential. If they could pull the staff into line and make improvements in service upgrade the bedlinens, this place would be unbeatable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modern oceanfront hotel with Costarican flavor, located 65 km from Liberia Airport (LIR). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, BookIt.com, BookingOdigeoWL and Otel so you can book your Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach & Golf Tamarindo
- Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach And Golf Resort
- Tamarindo Diria Hotel